Land meter and sat TV

Rees

Recently, I have been having some trouble in setting my TV satellite dish at the correct inclination. I find the satellite OK using the meter indicating strength of signal (after finding correct direction using a hand compas) but have taken much longer to get the inclination of the dish correctly, using the elevation scale on the wind-upmast (Teleco) installed in the wardrobe on our van (after referring to the map showing the desired inclination for a specific latitude) for Astra 2D.

I discovered that this occurs when the van is parked on a slope (i.e. not horizontal). So, the question I pose is this: would it be useful to instal a Land meter (of the type used by 4 x 4 drivers) in our van to show pitch, dip, tilt? These can be obtained easily orom eBay sellers and cost up to £20.

Or you could buy a two way spirit level and screw it to a flat part of the floor so you always park level - using blocks if necessary.

Personally, I always park level except in absolute extremeis - I can't abide rolling out of bed 'cos it ain't level. (And I nearly said I can't stand rolling out of bed!)

Mel E

====

Hi Rees

You have to be level sideways to the dish to recieve all of the programs on satellite, otherwise this affects the 'skew' and will mean some programs become pixalated or not available at all. Out of level forward and rear to the dish is not a problem albeit the elevation of the dish will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Regards Pat

As said above, there may be a slight problem with skew, but this doesn't sound like your 'problem', from your post you appear to be finding satellite with compass and signal meter then using a 'book' figure to set inclination, don't, you use the compass and inclination to roughly find satellite then use signal meter to 'fine tune'.

p.s. a clino may help you to get the inclination set for the initial finding of satellite.

Archived