Customs & Excise

michele

Someone wrote to me recently which got me to thinking the following.

How does it work can you drive back into the country after having purchased a M/H abroad without can you get back in without declaring it .

Do your traders plates give it away ?

Does the number plate ANPR pick it up I know people dont get around it as there is money involved .

It probably a silly question do you get stopped with trade plates on do you get looked over more seriously is there more interest in your M/H .

Finally given the fact that you are stopped and charged the import tax is it any cheaper by the time you have paid all this ?. just interested

Michelle,

Yes, you drive straight through Customs (now HMR&C) unless you have anything else to declare.

You should NOT be on Trade Plates but sporting a temporary registration plate from the country where you bought it - this is certainly the procedure in France and Germany. If you get a dealer to drive it on their trade plates to the embarcation port, you'll need to get trade plates somehow at the UK arrival port.

On temporary foreign plates, if HMR&C do stop you, I always suggest carrying a copy of the R&C VAT Notice (booklet) on Personal Importation to show the Customs Official you are familiar with the procedure for Uk re-registration

There is no import duty on any goods imported from the EU (but there is from the UK), but you do pay UK VAT on the import at UK rates rather than the rate applicable in the purchase country.

Do you save money? Mostly yes, but more on some makes/ brands than others. Hymer are good for around 15% to 25% off (more on more expensive models, whilst Frankia are better priced in the UK. Used vehicles are also much cheaper - and there is no VAT to pay (it has already been paid in the country of first purchase).

If you want the full story, my MMM Fact Sheets covering 10 pages, dual column, action and information packed, are available from me at Mel Eastburn Fact Sheet, MMM, PO Box 88, Tiverton EX16 7ZN. Please enclose a C5 size SAE envelope (takes A$ folded once) and a cheque payable to my favourite charity (MacIntyre Care) for £7 (much more if you've just won the Lottery!).

Mel E

====

Thanks for that if i had of had the share of the 18 million you would of had more than a cheque funny that because just before I saw this I was checking and we were laughing and dreaming what it is we would of done .

Same conclusion with a twist Adoption then a Nanny to help with the work ;-)

michele - 2007-11-04 12:17 PM

Same conclusion with a twist Adoption then a Nanny to help with the work ;-)

So which one of your kids would you have adopted then Michelle or would it be all of them. :-D :-D :-D

Oh and why would you need the nanny, or was that your hubby's idea!!

Bas

Nanny is for me and sorry I forgot to say Male nanny :D

Only two of them the other has parents to care for him :D

The oldest the Police Officer is to old she don't need adopting

And the other two are mine my 7 days is long up now can't put em back now :D

Archived