Heating in Winter

michele

michele - 2007-11-04 7:36 PM

Whats the cheapest most effective cost efficent but above all safest way to heat your M/home on the drive .

Thank you

See post on "Keeping damp out" Cuddles to save me typing it all again. :D

GJH - 2007-11-04 7:57 PM

Last winter was our first with the van. We used a small oil filled radiator. It has a thermostat built in so is reasonably adjustable to cope with forecast temperatures - worked OK anyhow :-)

Graham

We got one of these prompted by Graham spotting a bargain in either Aldi or Lidle I believe and it works a treat.

Bas

Michele - It may be a silly question but....do you want to heat the whole van interior, ie for someone to sleep/live in for a period there, or do you just want frost protection for it's water tanks/pipes whilst it's "laid up"?

I guess people's suggestions would be different depending on what you're planning to do with the MH.

Why not buy a small dehumidifier, not only will it keep the van warm but it will take all the damp out of the air, make sure you empty regulat though. By using one of these you don't have to bother with the bowls of salt to take out the moisture over the winter peroid.

Hi, Michele

We use a Oil Filled radiator,

The only other thing I would add is that while our MH is suposed to be insulated for winter use, as most if not all of the tanks and pipework etc are either sited within the habitation are or within the double floor and are insulated, I beleive they rely on the inbuilt heating system to keep these areas warm, and i don't think a single oil storage radiator will protect them in very harsh conditions so i would suggest that you drain all of your water systems if you take the same route as us ?

The above is also worth noting for those who use there vans during the winter on electric hookups and try to save on the gas ??

hope that helps

We use a fan heater when on site but during the winter on the drive we use an oil filled radiator.

We stack the seat cushions on the pull down bed and prop open all the underseat lockers as well as cupboard and wardrobe doors.

This has worked a treat for us plus if the enemy and I have a few words I have a nice warm bolt hole to go to.

John D.

Archived