And along came the dog

wendiain

Mel B - 2007-11-07 7:27 PM

Tables or injection, it depends very much on the vet's view, we have been asked once which we would prefer, and said tablet. Our dog Midge (see photo) screamed like a howler monkey the first time he had his jab at a French vet, it took about 5 seconds before he realised something had been stuck into him, then he let us have it!!!!

To get tablets down, take some of your dog's favourite food/treats with you, you can then get him to nibble the treats and slip the tablet into one of them, if he's anything like our dogs they don't even touch the sides!

our dog can spot a vet at 5miles, you could wrap the tablet in sirloin steak and he wouldn,t touch it, he has never even flinched at any injection, probably too wound up, just like us they all have there own personalities

Tables or injection, it depends very much on the vet's view, we have been asked once which we would prefer, and said tablet. Our dog Midge (see photo) screamed like a howler monkey the first time he had his jab at a French vet, it took about 5 seconds before he realised something had been stuck into him, then he let us have it!!!!

To get tablets down, take some of your dog's favourite food/treats with you, you can then get him to nibble the treats and slip the tablet into one of them, if he's anything like our dogs they don't even touch the sides!

Hi there

Our spaniel adopted us while we were in France - now that does make life complicated, but she's a dab hand at crossing in the tunnel now.

A suggestion for the final vet visit. We spend our night before last in Salbris (just north of Bourges). Next morning we visit the vet and after her tablet and Frontline we head north. We can stop anywhere enroute and cross the next day within the 24/48 hour window. There are, of course, plenty of other locations a suitable distance out, but we have met people who have spent 24 hours kicking around Calais.

Other than that, the other posts say it all.

maggyd - 2007-11-07 7:37 PM

He is on Antibiotics at the moment but he is getting wise *-) he managers to eat the chicken and spit the tablet (lol) one tablet takes about 3 tries and the vet gave me 2 small instead of one larger. I hate to admit it but I think it will have to be the jab. 8-) Cant make out what you have done to your little pooch Mel put me out of my misery and tell me.

Midge has gammy hips/knees, tendons/ligaments - most of the time he's okay and can walk for England, other times he totters around like an old man - he's only 7 but has been like this since we first got him at 9 months from a rescue kennels. It didn't come to light though until we'd had him for a while as he didn't know how to run or pant, if was funny as he couldn't get the ang on panting for ages, he just kept opening his mouth and closing it again like a gold fish and he kept falling over his own feet when trying to run! We think he had probably been a lap-dog and hadn't had the exercise when young to enable his joints to form properly. He likes being in the back-pack/papoose though (it's a normal kiddies one which we've adapted - cheap from a car boot sale) as he gets a great view of what's going on, he's a nosey little s*d!

Mel B - 2007-11-08 7:34 PM

maggyd - 2007-11-07 7:37 PM

He is on Antibiotics at the moment but he is getting wise *-) he managers to eat the chicken and spit the tablet (lol) one tablet takes about 3 tries and the vet gave me 2 small instead of one larger. I hate to admit it but I think it will have to be the jab. 8-) Cant make out what you have done to your little pooch Mel put me out of my misery and tell me.

Midge has gammy hips/knees, tendons/ligaments - most of the time he's okay and can walk for England, other times he totters around like an old man - he's only 7 but has been like this since we first got him at 9 months from a rescue kennels. It didn't come to light though until we'd had him for a while as he didn't know how to run or pant, if was funny as he couldn't get the ang on panting for ages, he just kept opening his mouth and closing it again like a gold fish and he kept falling over his own feet when trying to run! We think he had probably been a lap-dog and hadn't had the exercise when young to enable his joints to form properly. He likes being in the back-pack/papoose though (it's a normal kiddies one which we've adapted - cheap from a car boot sale) as he gets a great view of what's going on, he's a nosey little s*d!

Oh poor little Midge but he looks happy enough to me in his carrier (lol) mind my little dog !people refer to him as a lapdog but they are tough little blighters! this liitle one hasnt done long walks yet as he is really still a puppy but my last one would walk for miles .

I'm sure you'll make sure you r little dog has plenty of walks to strengthen up his bones, muscles etc, then he shouldn't have any problems. It's a shame as he's a lovely little chap and really enjoys going out for walkies, sometimes he tears around like a good un, other times he totters around like a poor old sole. He's also got an adapted baby buggy as well but it's a big ruddy heavy thing so we've just treated him to a kiddies 'dolls tansad' for the princely sum of £1.00 from a car boot sale! The people we bought it off had also used it for their little dog for the same reason. He quite likes sitting in it as it's a bit lower to the ground for him so he gets to smell more smelly things I suppose plus it's much lighter and easier to store in the back of the camper. And if we really get fed up of pushing it around we can always harness it to Romy his 'big sister'!!!!! We could put some nice spikes on the wheels and call him Sparticus! (lol)

Biggal ... he's not on tablets, thank goodness, they'd probably cost a bomb anyway and there's not a lot the vets can do for him anyway, other than threaten to do nasty things with a scalpel and a saw with no guarantees of success and could even make him a lot worse. Biggest challenge we have with him is keeping his weight down so he doesn't put too much strain on his joints etc ... and on us when he's in his papoose!!! 8-)

Hi All

We sadly lost our dog last year and I swore as much as we love them the heartache that you go through when they go we do not want to go through it any more, At last years York show my wife won a big stuffed Scooby doo and he is now our pet, No injections needed, no need to rush back to the van if you have been out shopping or site seeing, No need for walkies at 3.30 in the morning, no mess, no smell well not from him any way, No licking off no I'll not mention them :-D no extra weight of dog food, you can still cuddle him in bed if anyone has a headache !!!! and he is great company in the passenger seat when I'am on my own.

Great talking point with younger visitors.

Butwe still miss our little Bedlington Terrier. :-(

Terry

Our little dog had his blood test on saturday the 10th, How long before they informed you as to the results?

Ive just been reading a post in the HINTS AND TIPS about wearing a collor against the sand fly it makes worrying reading so I think we definately will be getting a collor and we might think twice about goin on the beach.

Blood test, it depends, it can be as little as a couple of weeks, or as long as a month. It really is up to how quick the lab gets through its testing precedure.

Our dogs love going on the beach, please don't deprive your little pooch of that pleasure! Sand flies can be a nuisance but our dogs don't suffer any ill effects. Check with your vet about the collar - I know that flea collars can sometimes have nasty side effects so best to check these are okay before using them.

Forgot to say, the bit above applies to areas where sand flies are just a nuisance and not in the area where there is the risk of serious desease, if there was we'd certainly avoid the beach there to be safe.

tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2007-11-11 8:13 PM

Hi All

We sadly lost our dog last year and I swore as much as we love them the heartache that you go through when they go we do not want to go through it any more, At last years York show my wife won a big stuffed Scooby doo and he is now our pet, No injections needed, no need to rush back to the van if you have been out shopping or site seeing, No need for walkies at 3.30 in the morning, no mess, no smell well not from him any way, No licking off no I'll not mention them :-D no extra weight of dog food, you can still cuddle him in bed if anyone has a headache !!!! and he is great company in the passenger seat when I'am on my own.

Great talking point with younger visitors.

Butwe still miss our little Bedlington Terrier. :-(

Terry

I lost our first ever little dog last year so I know how lost you are feeling :-( but I succumbed and we got another one two months later as we werent even wanting to go for a walk when we went away! the dog was our main purpose for buying the van ,we used to go camping when the children were at home. Dont be put of by the messy things you have to do ! like children the good far outweighs the bad. :-)

Mel B - 2007-11-13 8:10 PM

Our dogs love going on the beach, please don't deprive your little pooch of that pleasure! Sand flies can be a nuisance but our dogs don't suffer any ill effects. Check with your vet about the collar - I know that flea collars can sometimes have nasty side effects so best to check these are okay before using them.

Blood test, it depends, it can be as little as a couple of weeks, or as long as a month. It really is up to how quick the lab gets through its testing precedure.

Is that all the are? flea collars if that is the case how is it that Frontline doesnt keep them off.

Hi Mag

I think you're confusing this a bit. I only mentioned the flea collars because I know they can cause problems as they are in effect a load of chemicals hung round a dog's neck, if the dog is a bit sensitive to this sort of thing they can come out in some nasty sores or it can make them poorly, this is not the case for the majority of dogs, but it does seem sensible to be aware of the possiblity.

As for the sand flies collars, I assume they have a different chemical make up from the normal flea collars and therefore a different chemical compound from Frontline flea treatment. You may infact be able to get a similar treatment to Frontline for sand flies, but as I've not looked into this I couldn't say, probably best to have a chat with your vet.

Regards

Mel

Hi,

Ah yes....the beach.

We took our GSD (about 60kg) to Langland beach one winter. The tide was out, but the beach was empty, so we slipped his leash. Point nose at horizon.and accerate. water was several hundred yards away, but at 30mph that doesn't take long.

Sorry, did I say the beach was empty? I lied...there was a solitary lady strolling along. Dog hit her at about 30mph....she went airbourne....dog never broke his stride.

She was very nice about it

Hi there

Do check out this link I posted about the Scalibor Collars and Leishmania... and also the caterpillars.

As far as I know the Scalibor don't protect against Fleas, and don't protect 100% against leishmania either, but its better than nothing.

Our dog has had fleas on and off since May, being a very bad year for the over here in Spain and the vet has now changed his anti flea thing to Progam plus, as she thinks the fleas are immune to Frontline. Out here you can certainly get all the above both at pet shops and vet clinics, should you find you need to renew stocks.

With regard to beaches, most very touristy beaches do say no dogs, but there are places where dogs are allowed, and the usual courtesys apply about picking up mess etc.

The Spanish had a reputation for not really liking pets but this is not so much the case now, certainly on our travels we see loads of vet clinics, and the spanish are very fond of little dogs - as a lot of more built up areas have flats now so a smaller dog is better than a huge one. (Plus it fits in your bag!!)

Archived