Waste tank pong

Ralph

I know this is an old one but I thought I'd bring it up again to see if anyone has any ideas.

Yes, it really humms :-S I've put vinegar down it, used Thetford (waste of money) tank cleaner and even taken out the big bung and put my pressure washer into it but I can't get the d**n thing clean.

So how have you solved the problem? Keeping the plugs in doesn't count :-D

Hi Ralph ,have you tried TCP, I use it in every plug hole in the house whenever we go away, and I used it in the Caravan when laying it up never had any problems with Pongs, I always put a tablespoon full in the Thetford flush water as well , might smell like a chemists for a wee while though *-) Corky

Is the hum coming from the kitchen plug hole, the bathroom or both? Have you managed to clean the waste pipes as well?

Does the Thetford blade fit properly? (yes, I did miss that one myself once!!)

I guess the old idea of driving around with the waste tank half full of clean washing up water for a while comes in second if you've already had a jet washer on it.

Best of luck!

Hi Ralph, our method is to rinse the sink and bathroom drains down with a weak bleach solution then fill the waste tank up with warm water. leave it for a few days and then drive around before emptying it. We then leave the waste tap open and the plugs in place and haven't suffered any nasty niffs since we adopted this routine.

D.

Often it is a kink in the flexible pipe that allows the water to go off. We regularly run a solution of the sterilising fluid through the drains of our shower sinks etc.

We do this because we prefer to dissolve some of the stuff into our first water container when we set up. Not every time but quite regularly.

Then when we run the taps etc we flush through the drain pipes. Just remember not to drink it or make a cup of tea with that container of water. Having a shower with it just smells a bit like a swimming pool.

If that flexi pipe is used I would suggest checking to make sure it is hooked up properly and that it drains or flows easily.

This stuff is notorious at getting stuff lodged in it. One option is to replace as much as possible with ordinary plastic tubing.

Guest Tracker
Try filling the sink(s) with warm water and using a good old fashioned kitchen plunger as that can often shift the gunge in the pipes.

If your waste pipe from the sink does not have a waste trap, CAK tanks can supply them in different sizes. I have just fitted one at it certainly works.

I also partly fill the waste tank with clean water and leave it in to swish around whilst driving home. Drain down on arrival home and this leaves a clean tank.

Ralph - 2007-11-06 1:09 PM I know this is an old one but I thought I'd bring it up again to see if anyone has any ideas. Yes, it really humms :-S I've put vinegar down it, used Thetford (waste of money) tank cleaner and even taken out the big bung and put my pressure washer into it but I can't get the d**n thing clean. So how have you solved the problem? Keeping the plugs in doesn't count :-D

Ralph

Just to be clear, are we talking about the Thetford toilet waste tank (as seems the case) or the grey waste tank?

No! not that kind!

I spent ages trying to think of the correct Subject line and couldn't get a better one, so here goes:

By Ralph

I have a lot of "crud" around the rubber seal and blade in my Thetford cassette. It looks like limescale, perhaps it is as it's very hard.

So the question is how do I remove it? Is there a suitable cleaner that will dissolve it? What causes it? (Yes I know, that's 3 questions)

Help please...

found it I think its Grey this time Brian come on Ralph eat your dinner and clear this up please

-----

:D :D :D

Brian Kirby - 2007-11-06 7:07 PM

Thetford tank cleaner, which is basically a limescale remover, into a grey waste tank to try to remove a smell.  So I just wanted to be sure, see Clever Clogs!

I assumed he meant the Thetford grey waste tank cleaner and freshner, not the one for the toilet waste, this is what we use measured amount plus the appropriate amount of clean water and we don't have any smells at all. As he had said that he had tried this I could offer no further help, but it works for us no smells at all.

Bas

First, check the piping. I our ex-Rapido we kept getting a problem with a pong from the 'kitchen' sink and the water didn't drain very well. After trying all sorts of potions etc to try to clear what we thought must be a bit of a blockage, I dismantled various bits and pieces to get to the underneath of the sink. I then found that the waste pipe from the plug hole was going up hill!!! I soon managed to re-arrange it a bit so it drained down hill and it was fine ever after.

Like Dave N, i have always used a weakish bleach solution after emptying the tank, pour a little bleach down kitchen sink followed by a few pints of water,then drive (to the next site) for a few miles to stir it up a bit, always worked for me.

Until..... nasty niff persisting , used more bleach (neat..not recommended) nasty niff, Pine disinfectant.....ditto.

Realised that the smell was Propane gas !!!!!!! Traced leak to behind the oven,only very slight , loose nut onto the 'olive' Tightened the nut and tested with soapy solution. The 'niff' dissapeared .

The gas was sinking to the lowest level in the van.....most of it dropping out of the vent holes,but enough hanging around to make you wanting it to 'go away'. Be Careful out there Folks ! :D

Been there done that bought the T shirt etc. . Now I have a basin in place in the kitchen sink and empty the water on site and not down into the tank. when I am setting out on a long journey, I put a jug of tepid water and a drop of Zoflora disenfectant down the plughole and empty it when I arrive. its works like an all round airfreshner for the van.

If you are that fussed then once a year take the waste tank off, tip in half a bucket of gravel and shake it around vigouresly for 10 minutes. Tip the gravel out, flush twice and put it back.

An alternative to removing the tank is to drive the MH around a tank course for 30 minutes, but the gravel might knacker the pump when you try to pump it out! Oh, and you will need to screw the body back together as well.

Archived