Solar Panels

Tanskavan

Before you pay out for one, have you decided you really need one. I am only saying this because we were going to get one fitted and were advised by the guy who was supplying it whether we had thought about it! He suggested that fitting an extra 110 amp leisure battery would be sufficient because our van charges the leisure battery as we drive, (as do most if not all vans).

We, (2 adults), toured France and Spain for 10 weeks using a mixture of aires, "wild sites" and sites and we had no problems at all. You just have to be aware of what you are using and when.

We hooked up when on some aires and sites but otherwise we just used the batteries.

Best money we've never spent, and we have spent some on gadgets never used!

Hi Tomo,

We are usually away for 2 months at a time twice a year, like you when we first started, we moved at least once every two or three days always staying on aires d' service, therefore the battery was charged when we moved on 30 miles or so.

After a few years of touring, we found ourselves staying on lesser frequented and isolated aires for up to a week at a time, thats when we found the solar panel very useful.

We do use alot of TV and satellite driven radio, up to 17 hrs a day at times, so our current consumption is fairly high.

Our setup is two 110 amp batteries and one 80watt solar panel, we can shift the solar panel output to the vehicle battery when required, the car battery can also be switched into the habitation circuit.

Regards Terry

On the subject of Solar Panels, we are shortly moving into a flat so will keep the motorhome on a storage site. I am aware that the vehicle battery will likely drain down fairly quickly, as I've had experience some years ago with this ( on a different van). I'm hoping we shall take her out every couple of weeks, even if only for a short run, but if less frequently than that we may experience problems. As yet I'm unsure of whether I can get a lead to reach to a mains hook-up in storage to recharge the batteries when needed - I have a Battery Master fitted so that would be OK.

If not, I'm considering a 'small' Solar Panel which could remain plugged in the the 12v cigarette socket and live on the dashboard. Anyone got expereince of this, and are there any recommendations as to type and input/output which would be adequate for this purpose?

Hi, Clive

Thanks for the link, they do seem a lot cheaper than in the UK, if I was to purchase one of the 100watt units do you know what else i would need to fit it to my MH as I have been thinking about getting one but the price has always been to expensive ?

100 watt panel including shipping to UK £336 that seems very good value

Thanks

Brian

Clive - 2007-11-06 10:52 PM

Check out the prices for panels on this German web site.

http://www.solarworld24.com/index.php/cat/c6_60W---100W-Solar-Panels.html

You should also order a suitable voltage regulator from them which will be delievered at the same time. The wiring need be quite simple. A tube of the appropriate grade of Silkaflex to glue it to the roof unless like me you have some roof bars so can bolt it on with 4 "U" bolts.

If you want it done for you then Dave Newell in Telford is my first suggestion for a sensible priced motorhome engineer.

PM him, I am sure you can find him somewhere!

Good luck

Clive

Archived