Tunnel booking

maggyd

Ive noticed that some people have already booked for next year to cross vie the Tunnel ! is it better to book now? is there a chance we might not get on when we want to travel? Also is it best to book a flexi option ? we did try but at the end of booking it was only showing the standard option.

catinou - 2007-11-07 3:40 PM

Hi Margaret - there is a thread called "Ferry Prices" in chatterbox section which you might find useful - Michele has kindly supplied all the info we needed to make us decide to use the tunnel - cheaper and easier than ferries definitely! B-)

Hi I will have a look at that ! but we will definately be using the Tunnel as I dont want to leave the dog in the van on his own and we have used it with the car it is much better I think you are no sooner on than your off its worth it for us.

Margaret ,

I use the tunnel mainly because where we live its easy .

I am not advocating it as it's not for everyone but here goes.

It Cost £390 for the year you are now a frequent traveller with a FQ number .

If you booked today then it runs out next year on the same day

If you pay by Credit card then the person who it belongs to MUST travel

so no good doing it in your name and then travelling seperate from your Husband/Wife as we do .

For this money you get 10 single trips

making it 5 returns you must travel Dover calais after 2pm you must return calais dover before 2pm.

You can travel any other time if you wish to pay more for an additional fee you can travel at peak times.

It is easy to book for example I could get on tonight even this late they just lay on more trains if the bookings go up.

You do not always have to book in advance.

So it cost £39 for a car making your 10 £390 but to take your camping car you must pay an additional £9 each way making another £18 .

so in effect £48 its not the cheapest I know the boat and ferrys do cheaper but then the boats and ferrys rise according to the seasons .

This is a constant price and it does not go up.

We save one of our trips to go in the summer for the main holidays and to be honest that one trip used to cost more than the whole lot of these trips. the Vets is at calais as you pull into the tunnel ? needs double checking as we dont take the annimals with us but I beleive that you will see it just as you pull into the lane controls if not the local vet is in Calais.

So do you feel like a Frequent Traveller .

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

if you just want to book a trip or two, I have always found it much cheaper to book before Christmas. my summer return normally costs circa £140. you can change dates but you will then pay the prevailing rate.so best to be sure when you book or there's no advantage....

By example, I looked at changing dates for summer 2007 trip and they were almost treble the price *-)

michele - 2007-11-07 4:01 PM

Margaret ,

I use the tunnel mainly because where we live its easy .

I am not advocating it as it's not for everyone but here goes.

It Cost £390 for the year you are now a frequent traveller with a FQ number .

If you booked today then it runs out next year on the same day

If you pay by Credit card then the person who it belongs to MUST travel

so no good doing it in your name and then travelling seperate from your Husband/Wife as we do .

For this money you get 10 single trips

making it 5 returns you must travel Dover calais after 2pm you must return calais dover before 2pm.

You can travel any other time if you wish to pay more for an additional fee you can travel at peak times.

It is easy to book for example I could get on tonight even this late they just lay on more trains if the bookings go up.

You do not always have to book in advance.

So it cost £39 for a car making your 10 £390 but to take your camping car you must pay an additional £9 each way making another £18 .

so in effect £48 its not the cheapest I know the boat and ferrys do cheaper but then the boats and ferrys rise according to the seasons .

This is a constant price and it does not go up.

We save one of our trips to go in the summer for the main holidays and to be honest that one trip used to cost more than the whole lot of these trips. the Vets is at calais as you pull into the tunnel ? needs double checking as we dont take the annimals with us but I beleive that you will see it just as you pull into the lane controls if not the local vet is in Calais.

So do you feel like a Frequent Traveller .

;-)

Thanks Michele but as this is the first time with the van we will just pay for the one trip and see how we go it is about £164 I think with the dog thats not bad when you think about it if you go on the ferry your spending on meals etc; and I think we paid something like £134 to go to Ireland! I know about needing the same card you booked with as we went in the car to our Sons last Oct. The next problem will be with money!! best way to pay? it looks like the Nationwide is the best bet we will have a look at that.

You can change most ferrys for a small admin fee, but you run the risk of them asking for the difference in fares so you pay the new rate for the new period you want.

to be honest it seems to depend on who you talk to, I've had different deals from the same ferry operator - best option was when we turned up at the ferry and asked to change then and there.

B-)

JudgeMental - 2007-11-07 4:10 PM

if you just want to book a trip or two, I have always found it much cheaper to book before Christmas. my summer return normally costs circa £140. you can change dates but you will then pay the prevailing rate.so best to be sure when you book or there's no advantage....

By example, I looked at changing dates for summer 2007 trip and they were almost treble the price *-)

Whats this flexi fare you can get then Judge have you looked at that? I must admit though it tells you all about it but as you proceed it disapears and leaves the standard booking!! Im a bit nervous booking too far ahead as you dont know what might crop up with Families *-) I thought that last year when we booked you could pay a bit extra and if you had to cancel for any reason you were refunded.

Are you a frequent traveller?

Are you a frequent traveller, travelling as many as 5 return trips or 10 single trips within a 12-month period ? You can benefit from fantastic savings.

Register as a frequent traveller.

Register as a frequent traveller. It takes just 3 minutes. Simply pay for a minimum of 10 single

off peak journeys upfront at just £39 per single trip for travel at off-peak times, £39 x 10 = £390. You will receive a Frequent Travellers Account number and password, which you will need everytime you book. You also have the freedom to mix and match fares and travel at times to suit you.

What if I need to travel during Peak Times?

You will need to pay a supplement of £20/£30 when you travel at peak times. Dependent on the date of travel and subject to availability. Check out when travel supplements apply.

Additional supplements will also apply if you change your vehicle type, or choose to take a caravan or trailer.

Do you require extra flexibility, convenience and want to save money? Frequent Traveller FlexiPlus is the ideal solution for you.

Register now

Book your tickets

When you log in don't forget to enter your Frequent Traveller Account number and password.

Alternatively, call our Contact Centre.

Important information

>> Don't forget...

You can now book until the end of March 2008!

The registered Frequent Traveller must travel on all bookings.

Don't forget to book before you travel.

Bookings cannot be made at Check-in.

It is essential to book before travelling to enjoy the benefits of Frequent Traveller Fares, and to avoid any disruption to your journey.

If you are travelling during holiday and busy periods, book early to avoid disappointment. All tickets are subject to availability.

Amendments

Bookings can be amended up to 24 hours prior to travel (subject to availability).

Cancellations

If you cancel your journey, the value of that journey will be credited to your Frequent Traveller Account for use later in your registration year. Any supplements for travel in a peak time, caravans, trailers, etc. that you may have paid for separately will be refunded.

© 2007 Eurotunnel. All rights reserved.

Maggyd

I know you want to use the tunnel but you may wish in future to consider the ferry. We have used Motorhome Ticket Club MTC to book early saver tickets and last year got a Sea france crossing for £62 plus £25 per dog for a 7metre van. Amendments via MTC cost £25 ( ridiculous amount). what we have done is gone to the terminal and made change there paying a nominal sum if within the same bandwidth. C&CC claim they will match any price quoted by operators. Can highly recommend Nationwide debit card.

ike

ike - 2007-11-07 6:43 PM

Maggyd

I know you want to use the tunnel but you may wish in future to consider the ferry. We have used Motorhome Ticket Club MTC to book early saver tickets and last year got a Sea france crossing for £62 plus £25 per dog for a 7metre van. Amendments via MTC cost £25 ( ridiculous amount). what we have done is gone to the terminal and made change there paying a nominal sum if within the same bandwidth. C&CC claim they will match any price quoted by operators. Can highly recommend Nationwide debit card.

ike

ike I would only use the ferry if I could carry my little dog ! and I know it will never happen. :-|

skottle - 2007-11-07 7:11 PM

Hi,

We use our Tesco vouchers on the Tunnel and get four times their face value, making the tunnel a very cheap option.

Hi ,

how do you redeem them ? I have thrown loads of vouchers away not realizing that someone could have used them.

Hi,

You send your vouchers bck to Tesco, they then send you information to send with your booking reference at our times the value of your vouchers. It is very easy, the only downside being you have to book a couple of weeks before travel.

We have only done it on a couple of occasions so far, both times in School holidays and paid £140 return both times, which is only £35 of your Tesco vouchers.

We're earning Tesco vouchers like crazy! Hubby is sending loads of cartridges for recycling ... so far we've got enough for 2 return trips!!! B-)

The only down side is that you can't pay for the dogs using them, they have to be paid for with normal money. :-(

We normally travel with seafrance as its usually quiet and they offer you 3 prices for a return journey, we only usually book a couple of months before, too difficult to get organised any earlier

but anyway the 3 prices

one the cheapest with no changes possible to your ticket

the middle one with minor changes + admin fee

the most expensive with changes possible

I'm remembering from the summer, of course you might have to play around a bit to find the cheaper crossings on any particular day.

For next summer will be looking into Tesco vouchers tho, busy spending in the store and using their ccredit card, a double whammy for points. 5p off fuel useful at the moment too!

alan

There was a previous thread saying the Tesco points offer had finished.

(and we had been saving our point for 2008 trip.)

Can anyone clarify if that is the case ?

Or was it only discontinued for a particular ferry Operator.

If it is still available it has to be attractive at Net only 1/4 of the full fare.

Are there any restrictions regarding using the Tesco points.

There was nothing in the leaflet regarding conversion to Ferry tickets, from Tesco with our last points statement.

We have used Tesco vouchers ever since we got the van in March, so far I think 5 return crossings and never paid a penny.

I didn't want to use the Ferry as my stomach objects and it just adds time to the journey when often we go on a Friday evening and in just 35 minutes we are there and on holiday.

I think they have just stopped dealing with P & O ferries but other deals still stand, I have already booked my crossing for half term next year and for Easter holls. Michelles idea may be better for you if you are not sure when you can travel, as booking early on the Tunnel is definitely an advantage as the prices seem to change daily depending on demand. The new school Easter holiday times are already quite alot compared to others so if you know you want to go then I would try to get in early, however if you are going at the proper Easter time then you will probably find it is cheaper than it would normally be due to lack of demand.

Check on Tunnels internet site and find out the times available to travel and the cost, I always go through the motions to the end and then print off the page, then you need to ring them right away and tell them what you have printed and the times you want. Make sure you tell them right away you are booking with Tesco vouchers , they got a bit iffy with me when I forgot one time as it goes through a different system apparently. You then send of the vouchers to them by special delivery and in return you will get a letter with your travel reference number on it which you then feed into the machine when you get there. If you don't have enough vouchers to cover it or you want to pay for a dog then you do that with her with a credit card

It is early and I may be only half awake so if I have missed anything feel free to ask

Mandy

Archived