dometic fridge/freezer

spannerman

When you phone have the model, product and serial numbers available. These can be found in the lower compartment of the fridge.

I don't know who is taking this recall information but be prepared for a long and slow wait on the phone.

It was suggested that I call at one of their repairers to have the work done. I live in Oxfordshire and it was suggested Newport or Bembridge (125 miles away) as the nearest.

Nine or ten gallons of diesel to replace a 5p screw!

I said that I was not willing to drive to have a repair done and that the repairer would have to visit my home to undertake the work.

I have been told that this recall applies to all of the following models of Dometic fridge-freezers manufactured during the period 2004-2007:

RM-7601

RM-7605

RM-7651

RM-7655

RM-7801

RM-7805

RM-7851

RM-7855

Apparently the reason for the recall is that screws holding the cooling-unit to the appliance's rear housing have been found to be sub-standard and require replacement. Vibration produced while a leisure-vehicle is being driven may cause the screws to fracture and result in a gas leak. I was advised that, in most cases, it should be possible to effect the repair without removal of the appliance from the leisure vehicle.

I was told that it is considered safe to continue to use the appliance on 12V or 230V until the repair can be carried out, but it should NOT be used on gas.

Ooooo errrrr ... think I might have one of these!!!!!! Seeing as I have a penchant for gas leaks in motorhomes and problems with fridges I think I'll check my model tomorrow and give them a ring! 8-) At least if there is a problem I have a very tame Dometic man locally to me ... we're on first name terms and I know how he likes his cuppa making!!! ;-)

As my Fridge/freezer was one of these models I rang Dometic(9 til 4 not as on their website) Guy asked the serial number and then said mine wasn't affected. Now I am really confused, if it is only certain serial numbers why not put that info on the website or am I just being a GOG (grumpy old git)

Derek Uzzell - 2007-11-18 3:07 PM

afandy:

The main Dometic website is www.dometic.com but if you want spare parts you'll need to obtain them through a Dometic agent. You can find a list of agents by selecting the appropriate criteria in the search facility retrieved by the following link:

http://www.dometic.com/templates/ContactSearch.aspx?id=2107

........Many Thanks Derek .....Andy

Archived