our first winter, help!

ALANSUE

Having never caravaned or motorhomed before, Sue and I purchased a motorhome in April. Managed to survive the damp summer in fact we had a great time and wished we had done this years ago!

We want to carry on motorhoming through the winter.

We are aware that we may need to use propane instead of butane gas but what concerns us is if we go away on a bitterly winters day will the toilet top and bottom tank any grey waste and fresh water freeze up?

As this is our first winter we simply haven't got a clue!

Is there some sort of antifreeze additive we can put in the loo tanks and waste tank?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Alan I think you would have to be somewhere pretty seriously cold for that to happen . Last Christmas we where in Chamonix Mont Blanc with the snow and nothing happened .

You dont dont say what it is you have but I think you have no worries. Perhaps others will come along and give there opinion.

Happy travels ;-)

I asked similar questions last winter - our first with the van - and received advice summarised as follows.

When not using the van you need to drain both fresh water and grey water systems, including opening the water heater dump valve. Also, empty the black water tank/cassette and the flush tank if it is separate.

Leave taps open once the systems are drained. I normally lay the shower head down near the drain - and a tip from Don Madge is to remove the shower head and blow down the pipe to remove any water.

Treat seals as per instructions in the user manual.

Leave internal locker and cupboard doors open (and curtains across the Luton if any) to let air circulate.

We can put our van on hook-up as it's parked on our drive so we use a small oil filled radiator when freezing weather threatens.

Make sure the radio is switched off fully, not just on the ignition, so that it doesn't flatten the vehicle battery.

We went away during icy weather a couple of times last winter and didn't have any problems with water freezing in any of the tanks/pipes.

It's a good idea to give the van a run out every couple of weeks if you aren't using it to go away somewhere - you have to close all taps & doors and then re-open them of course but it doesn't take long.

Graham

We were up in Derbyshire last winter on our first trip and it was freezing cold.

The 2nd night we were there the temperature went down to -8 and everything worked the next morning.

The following day it dropped to -9 and then we froze solid until the sun came out. I opened the taps and turned off the pump and we had no leaks.

Don't think there is much you can do if it gets really cold. We empty everything when we are not using the MH.

michele - 2007-11-09 9:00 PM

Does it have something to do with fully winterised or Alko chasis ?

Ours is both perhaps thats why we never froze in the snow we had no problems at all. We did notheat the van overnight something we will do on this winter holiday .

And that michele is why I asked alan&sue to put some details of van, otherwise we are just guessing

“We are aware that we may need to use propane instead of butane gas.”

Good idea.  It needs to get very cold in the gas locker before you should have a problem, but propane is the more versatile gas generally.  Provided you have a 30mb gas regulator, you should be able to connect either.  If your locker will take two cylinders, add a propane cylinder, but use your butane until it runs out or won’t work, and only then change to the propane.  Once all the butane is used, just stick to propane.

“What concerns us is if we go away on a bitterly winters day will the toilet top and bottom tank any grey waste and fresh water freeze up?”

This will depend on several factors. 

Does your washroom have its own heater outlet, and does it work effectively?  If so, and you have a separate toilet flush tank, you should be OK, provided you keep the washroom reasonably warm. 

Is you fresh water tank mounted inside or outside your van?  If outside, your van is not really suitable for winter use.  You’ll need to find a way to work around this problem, possibly using only site facilities.  If inside, keep it well topped up and it should be fine, provided you keep the van warm. 

The toilet waste tank should be nominally "inside" your van, and so benefit from its insulated construction.  However, should you leave your van unheated, possibly while out, in very low temperatures accompanied by wind, anything is possible! 

Most, but not all grey waste tanks are externally mounted.  Some have heaters fitted, some are also insulated.  If your waste tank is insulated and heated, or internally mounted (usually only within a double floor), you should be OK.  

Heated and not insulated, I would treat as unheated.  Exposed waste tanks are prone to freeze, the more so when driving.  Best trick seems to be to keep a bucket under the outlet, leave the outlet open, and empty the bucket regularly so the content of the bucket doesn’t freeze.

There are anti-freeze additives for the separate toilet flush tanks; all other tanks have variable contents that would make maintenance of the correct solution almost impossible.

Would anyone know if an Auto trail Cheyenne is an Alko Chasis ? Or deemed fully winterised i notice Miami said his froze

is that likely to freeze up the mountains ?

If so any suggestions ? I apologise to the chap for butting in hardly worth starting another thread for . But I will if it upsets anyone.

thank you kindly.

michele - 2007-11-10 5:20 PM Would anyone know if an Auto trail Cheyenne is an Alko Chasis ? Or deemed fully winterised i notice Miami said his froze is that likely to freeze up the mountains ? If so any suggestions ? I apologise to the chap for butting in hardly worth starting another thread for . But I will if it upsets anyone. thank you kindly.

I don't think yours is any better than mine. It's an Autotrail and I don't think any of them are fully winterised. Could be wrong though!

Miami ,

We have the Bessie on the Alko chassis which is said that its fully winterised . I actually dont know what they means I suppose that its something to do with the fact that it has a two floors so the water tank is between the two floors . We had no problems last year and it was freezing in ski country well alot colder than here with snow.

We are now going with friends and he does not know enough nor do we .

They have the Autorail Cheyenne he asked us if his was on a Alko chassis my hubby said that he thought it was a Maxi chassis (funny buying and not knowing ) we do not know about his unit . He then said is he likely to have problems in the Alps ? we hope not .

What would be the best thing to do to stop your stuff freezing .

Miami thank you any advice.?

Michele

Fully winterised means that the vehicle has either double floors like yours, so ALL pipes are protected or that ALL external tanks are heated.

Our Hymer has both.So on board water tanks & pipes are insulated and also the external "grey waste" tank is also heated to stop it from freezing over.Also heated air into just not the toilet area,but also into the waste cassette area.

The only thing to watch for is that any pipes running under your "Van" are lagged if you are not sure.

Hope this helps with any info.

Thai

THANKS TO EVERYONE!

Your advice is very much appreciated!

Our motorhome is an Avantgard compass 150, It has air ducting to the shower/loo area

I will need to get under the MH tomorrow to see if the water tanks are insulated or externally exposed.

Forgot to ask :

Do I need to release the handbake and chock the wheels to prevent handbrake from rusting in the ON position?

We used to fly abroad for a winter holiday but cannot wait to wake up in a cold camp site in our lovely warm motorhome, better still if it snows!

ALAN

ALAN&SUE - 2007-11-10 7:55 PM

Do I need to release the handbake and chock the wheels to prevent handbrake from rusting in the ON position?

Not a bad idea Alan - running the van every week or so will help prevent brakes sticking as well.

Graham

Archived