Aires : Little Gems

robertandjean

Hi, Ned

Just trying to make these into POI's on autoroute so can you confirm if the "Tarbes Aire" should be the one at "Trebes" and do you mean "Stenay" rather than "Stanay" as i can't find Stanay ?

Thanks, when i have finished the POI's if anyone would like a copy there are 65 in France so far thats taking them from the last round as well so includes those from www.motorhometoday.co.uk web site. ?

ned - 2007-11-25 5:04 PM

right here are couple more for you guys!

Tarbes near Carcasonne. This aire is on the Canal de Midi bank in tarbes centre. Most of the spaces are under big trees giving plenty of shade. Chance your arm and go down to the lock and you can just tuck into the hedge and watch all the hire boats with Brits of board try and get through their first lock. Very entertaining. There is water and waste disposal but no electric. Go in sept/nov and you can help them pick the grapes in the vinyard and then join them to get quietly sozzled in the evening. Quiet and peaceful and also that word we all like to hear FREE!

Next La Suze sur Sarthe--- 11 km south of Le Mans,

. Great when going down to the Vendee, Dordogne ect. You can make it in a day from Calais nor Le Havre. Turn left just before the bridge. 100m down the car park next to the river and turn in behind the brick building. There is water, waste and if you look carefully on the corner of the wall of the building at about 2m high is a box with 12 electric points. You may need an extra cable if there is only room in the far corner. Super view. There is an excellent swimming complex behind the campsite (300m). The town has all the facilities plus some excellent bars. Bus every 30mins for Le mans or a railway station Ikm from the centre of the town. Lovely walks along the river. Good for two or three days stay, Price 3 Euros.

Finally a gem amongst gems.

Madames. A campsite right out in the boondocks south west of Cholet. A beautiful restored Mill. Restaurant on top and small bar below waste and fresh water and electricity. Its' not in the books! Madam will cook you a 5 course meal but you won't know what it is until you sit down-- no choice. shadey, on the side of the river very very peaceful. But here is the rub it's so good that I wont tell you where it is. Price a contribution to the church roof 3Euros

Oh! try Stanay 30 kms south east Charleville Messieres good stop if you are going to the Moselle. On the canal electric and everything else 6 Euros

This should keep you going

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cattwg - 2007-11-20 2:08 PM

Hi Robertandjean,

Another one for the list. We have used this aire on two occasions when heading south to Spain for 'winter sun'. The last time was the winter of 2005.

BERNOS-BEALAC: On the LHS about halfway through the village, heading South. Look out for the upright canoes! Its about 80miles North of Pau.

Free overnight parking with dump facilities. Jetons from nearby Renault garage for water and electricity - although we did not actualy purchase these. There’s parking for about 8 Motorhomes.

It's a lovely aire, in a dell by a river and canoeing club. Woods on three sides. Good for an overnight stop.

When we used it we were joined on both occasions by one other (French) Motorhome.

Regards Cattwg

We stopped there for lunch and water/waste etc. in July. Great Aire. Even had toilets and a washing-up area. Water was free.

Hi all,

Re Neds' post. Thanks Ned some good ones here.

Assume you mean Trebes (11) not Tarbes as your description fits the latter. Not sure I would drive to hedge, rather tight, better perhaps to stay along main bank with other vans and walk on to lock.

Yes La Suze-sur-Sarthe (72) is worth a few days stay. Le Mans is worth a visit particularly "old Le Mans"; we took the train and had a good day out. Stenay (55) is an aire for those who would never go on an aire! We have been many times and always enjoyed our stay.

You mention Charleville-Meziers (08) well the aire there is also a gem. Although only a 5 min walk out of Charleville town centre the aire is in parkland, with marked pitches adjoining the municipal camp site and overlooking boat moorings. Services and overnight parking is free, but you pay 3€ if you want a hook-up (go to site office). The main square in Charleville (Place Ducal) is stunning. To find follow signs centre ville/gare and camping Mont Olympe, but do not, as we did, turn into Place Ducal.

Regarding Madames, well do not really see point in mentioning it if you do not tell us where it is. How else will Madame make a living or the church roof get fixed? Come on Ned play the game and let is all in on the secret.

Thanks for all the posts so far, but come on the rest of you, lets see if we can have a few more.

The Aire at Plougenvelin mentioned above is a true gem spoiled only on our visit by a British Man in a Winnebago playing music at an unbelievable volume. The music could be heard clearly 200 yds away and those that complained were met with a shrug of the shoulders.

Mike88 - 2007-11-26 6:52 PM

The Aire at Plougenvelin mentioned above is a true gem spoiled only on our visit by a British Man in a Winnebago playing music at an unbelievable volume. The music could be heard clearly 200 yds away and those that complained were met with a shrug of the shoulders.

We need a benevolent dictatorship with a plentiful supply of rope.

On a happier note, I am finding this thread very helpful. On our first trip abroad with our new van we stayed on several aires de services, encouraged by what we had read on this forum and ignoring the doomsayers elsewhere.

What really surprised us was how many Brits we met on municipal camping sites who where aghast at our having used aires, behaviour they regarded as pure folly because they were "dangerous"! Perhaps this thread will encourage more people to sample the delights of the network of aires in France.

Bob

YEP YOU GOT ME THERE MATEY

Yes I do mean Trebes and yes you can get into the hedge and it will take 3 vans in that space

Yes again, Stenay is the place and I agree about the aire but have you tried the swimming complex? it's got a multislide and some bright spark has painted the last half black so as you hurtle down you suddenly disappear into pitch black and swing into a sharp right hander. It's scary

Ok so I am being a bit mean about madams-- Here is the info

Its at St Armand Sur Sevre 25 km SE of Cholet. It is actually called Moulin de Chaligny see info on Pg 226 Le Guide National des Aires de Services Camping car-cars ( the white book)

Best of luck in finding it!

But here is two more

This is a private Aire and these are usually not to be sneeezed at

Sevignacq-Meyracq-- It is south of Pau in the village of d'Arudy -- Aire Du Gave D'ossau---- Dead quiet on the side of afast flowing mountain stream It has about 12 gravelled pitches and Madam ( yes another one) collects the 4-50Euros with two hairy muts a goose and a duck. Water, Electric and waste. An absolutely heavenly place for a couple of days.

Next Try Cauterets up in the Pyrenees. you can go over to Spain by way of the pass. However it is a small town but it is like going back into the Edwardian period withall the buildings having wrought iron balconies. It has a Thermes a ski lift to take you up walking in the mountains. The Aire has Electric,waste and water. you are about 100m from the town centre and traffic movement is minimal. If you are touring in the Pyrenees then this is a must. this is expensive------ 7Euros

I hope I made up for the mistakes..............\ned

--

Hi, Ned

Great I've added those 3 we now have 68 for France,

Brian

ned - 2007-11-27 8:36 PM

YEP YOU GOT ME THERE MATEY

Yes I do mean Trebes and yes you can get into the hedge and it will take 3 vans in that space

Yes again, Stenay is the place and I agree about the aire but have you tried the swimming complex? it's got a multislide and some bright spark has painted the last half black so as you hurtle down you suddenly disappear into pitch black and swing into a sharp right hander. It's scary

Ok so I am being a bit mean about madams-- Here is the info

Its at St Armand Sur Sevre 25 km SE of Cholet. It is actually called Moulin de Chaligny see info on Pg 226 Le Guide National des Aires de Services Camping car-cars ( the white book)

Best of luck in finding it!

But here is two more

This is a private Aire and these are usually not to be sneeezed at

Sevignacq-Meyracq-- It is south of Pau in the village of d'Arudy -- Aire Du Gave D'ossau---- Dead quiet on the side of afast flowing mountain stream It has about 12 gravelled pitches and Madam ( yes another one) collects the 4-50Euros with two hairy muts a goose and a duck. Water, Electric and waste. An absolutely heavenly place for a couple of days.

Next Try Cauterets up in the Pyrenees. you can go over to Spain by way of the pass. However it is a small town but it is like going back into the Edwardian period withall the buildings having wrought iron balconies. It has a Thermes a ski lift to take you up walking in the mountains. The Aire has Electric,waste and water. you are about 100m from the town centre and traffic movement is minimal. If you are touring in the Pyrenees then this is a must. this is expensive------ 7Euros

I hope I made up for the mistakes..............\ned

--

Ned,

Thanks for your response and extra aires you have provided, you're a star.

Of these we were at Cauterets (Dept.65) in mid September this year, our second visit and agree it is a great place to stay. We were there for a week and could have stayed longer. (The charge, payable at ticket machine, decreases the longer you stay and works out at 5€/night for 7 nights). As well as some excellant walks we took a couple of coach trips up over the Colls which were well worth the cost and much easier than taking the van. (this is the great thing about the aires when not paying £20/night you can afford to do so much more, and at the same time support local commerce). So yes Cauterets is another gem. N.B. Lift closed mid September and arrive early in day to secure a hook-up.

Another one in the Pyrenees worth a few days is Laruns (Dept. 64). This one is free (services and overnight, no electric) is next to town centre and in marked bays on designated area of car park. Lovely mountain views from aire and nice walks round town and to interesting village of Beost.

Keep 'em coming.

My offerings to this list of little gems - and apologies if any of these have already been submitted, are:-

Fraisse sur Agout - Dept 34 - a tranquil spot on grass alonside the river, with electricity, shops and restaurants within 500M. 7€ inc elec.

Port-Vendres - Dept 66 - on the edge of the town, accross the road from a tiny beach and 10min walk from all the "commerce", which functions all year round. 4.60€ - 7€

La Ferté-Beauharnais - Dept 41 - On the edge of a lake, under trees and just on the edge of the village with shops and a restaurant. Free parking, born 2€.

Biron - Dept 24 - On grass, under the walls of the old castle with superb views. Parking free. Restaurant but no shops. Castle is very interesting.

Caille - Dept 06. About 4kms off the N85. On the edge of the village and very quiet, lovely views. Shops and restaurants in the village. Good walking country and cross-country skiing in the winter. Parking free.

Mortagne-sur-Gironde - Dept 17 - At the marina on the edge of the town, on grass. Use of the showers at the marina. 6€.

La Chêne Blanc, Piégon - Dept 26 - At the entrance to the vineyard, with superb views, very quiet. 20 min walk to the shops. All free, but the wine is worth buying - not that you are pressurised into it!

Domaine des Souchons, Villie-Morgon - Dept 69 - another aire at a vineyard, Beaujolais this time and a er good one. Again, it is all free with no pressure to buy the wine. Beautiful views over the vines and very quiet.

Better leave it there,

Brian

Hi, Brian

I have found all of them except for the La Ferte-Beauharnais, have you any more details that may help. I have found the village which if its the same one its on the D922 and I can see a small lake but it looks like it could be a fair walk if I have the correct place ? albeit my information is coming directly from Autoroute ? so it may not be that accurate

Thanks

Brian

BrianR - 2007-11-30 8:39 PM

La Ferté-Beauharnais - Dept 41 - On the edge of a lake, under trees and just on the edge of the village with shops and a restaurant. Free parking, born 2€.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have never used one but I thought that you got an Hour for 1 euro, but I supose there are different charges in different areas, the only reason I can see you would perhaps use them would be to charge your batteries, but I would have thought it would have been cheaper and more effective to run your engine ??

Good point you have raised, I would also be interested in other peoples opinion ??

Ventoux - 2007-12-11 9:32 PM

The Flot Bleu service points in France;

I have never seen anyone using the electric hook-up, it lasts 10 minutes for your 2 Euro coin ...... am I missing something? In what situation would you use that electric?

Usinmyknaus - 2007-11-27 8:31 AM ............ What really surprised us was how many Brits we met on municipal camping sites who where aghast at our having used aires, behaviour they regarded as pure folly because they were "dangerous"! Perhaps this thread will encourage more people to sample the delights of the network of aires in France. Bob

This is my little hobby-horse, and it is confusing.  The word "aire" merely means area, or place.  The problem is that we tend to use the word indiscriminately, while referring to almost anything that comes up in French preceded by "aire". 

Those wisely put off going to anything called an aire, just need a bit of help to appreciate the difference between an "Aire de services Camping-Cars", which is what this string is all about, and the various "aires de services" and "aires picnique", on autoroutes, that are the places most of the break ins (and the legendary gas attacks!), take place.  The latter, of whatever type, are not intended for, and are not "safe" for, overnight stopping, being no more than motorway service areas.  So, if you encounter blank amazement at your bravado, do explain, and help others to understand the differences.

Now, I can't speak from experience on this, but there is to be a new Aire of the Camping-Car type, which is to open in Spring 2008, in Avione (37).  It is to replace an exisiting aire, and looks expremely attractive from the photograph of the architect's (yes, really!) model.  Avoine is stated to be 12Km north of Chinon, direction Bourgueil, on the D749.  Good wine district, therefore!  It is located in a wooded area, bordering Lake Mousseau, just to the North of the town, but close to the town centre shops and services.  It comprises 11 delineated parking bays radiating outwards from a circular ring road, each separated from its neighbour by planting, with the services bay across a wooded island at its core.  Nearby are facilities for boules, and a children's play area.  Lake fishing is available.  No details on cost, but I doubt it will be the cheapest on offer and the charges are stated to be collected by credit card.  Avoine is a Ville Fleurie, also stated to be on the Itineraire de Loire a Velo (www.loire-a-velo.fr), so good for the bikes too.  I suspect it's going to be popular, so early arrivals seem essential to get a place.  When , exactly, it will open is not stated.  However, if you're in the area, at looks well worth checking out.

Why is it a pity? After all, it is "horses for courses" and, if they are happy with their choice, why try to disturb them. With the huge increase in 'vans using the aires, many of the best positioned ones are crowded, even out of season, so why try to make matters worse by persuading more people to use them who are quiet happy with not using them?

Brian

enodreven:

The www.campingcar-infos.com French website was referred to earlier. Details of all aires mentioned on UK motorhome forums are likely to be on that website, including GPS coordinates, services available, photos, etc. (The campingcar-infos entry for elusive La Ferté-Beauharnais includes a street map too, and I notice that BrianR took some of the photos.) It's also possible to order a DVD version of the information.

There's no standard for what you get for your money at an aire service-pedestal, but a 2 Euros piece will usually provide a maximum of 100 litres of water across a maximum delivery period of 10 minutes. There's also no certainty whether the water delivered from the borne's tap will be a gentle trickle or high pressure gusher, so it pays to have your water hose connected between pedestal and motorhome BEFORE you insert your coin (and have someone monitoring the hose at the motorhome end!) When a 230V power-outlet is provided, your coin will usually get you about 1 hour's worth of power. This may be discrete from the water delivery charge or inclusive and, if you are very lucky, the operating diagrams on the pedestal will make this apparent. Token-driven bornes are more unpredictable, especially the home-grown variety. I know of one (though I think it's now out of service) that provided just 2 minutes of low-pressure water for your jeton.

French motorhome magazines have always been critical of aires de services offering a 230V power supply. When the electricity is provided free of charge, any parking area within 50m of the borne rapidly transforms into an unofficial motorhome campsite with an untidy network of hook-up cables trailing everywhere. When 230V is 'pay', there's a strong likelihood that a motorhome hooked-up to the borne will obstruct access and/or inhibit its use. Sod's Law says that, if it's mid-January and you've just hooked-up to a 230V outlet on a borne located in some remote spot that you would rate the chances of another motorcaravan visiting as minuscule, no sooner will you have inserted your coin then a squadron of motorhomes (all in a tearing hurry of course) will be queuing up behind you wanting to dump waste and take on fresh water. The only time I use this type of facility is to power my wife's hair drier and I'm always careful to park well away from the pedestal, while my wife keeps her hair-drying time to a minimum.

Derek Uzzell - 2007-12-13 6:14 PM

When a 230V power-outlet is provided, your coin will usually get you about 1 hour's worth of power.

French motorhome magazines have always been critical of aires de services offering a 230V power supply. When the electricity is provided free of charge,

Thank you Derek, that informative insight indicates - what a lottery the Service Points can be.

I have yet to find one hour of electric for my 2€ coin, let alone finding it free.

I am pleased to hear your wife finds the electric useful.

Anyone else on here hook up to it? I would be grateful to be told what they use it for.

Hi all,

Thanks to all who have contributed; we now all have some new aires to head for next year. The interest in the aires is shown by the fact that this thread has achieved almost 2000 hits, despite the negative views still encountered in some quarters.

A few of you have made mention of the camping-car infos web site, and this really is the best guide available for finding aires all across France. If you have not used it before, or have been put off by fact is only available in French then following might help:

On first page click on "Cliquez pour entrer"

next page click on "Rechercher une aire" (left hand side page)

then on next page either on map click on department number and then on aire on list that comes up or

click on list of aires on right hand side of page. Scroll down to one you want then click on "Voir la fiche".

Which ever way you will then get details of the aire including map, GPS, list of services and cost, photos and comments (almost all in French, but can get feel of them, but sometimes comments are in English).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jean and Robert

Do I detect a conversion here, or just a dose of overdeveloped self interest?  :-)

The first comment was:

"Why is it a pity? After all, it is "horses for courses" and, if they are happy with their choice, why try to disturb them. With the huge increase in 'vans using the aires, many of the best positioned ones are crowded, even out of season, so why try to make matters worse by persuading more people to use them who are quiet happy with not using them?"

Then:

"Is there anywhere we can get a list of these "little gems""

If you don't want to share your favourite places, what makes you think anyone else would take the time to give you a list of theirs?

If I've misunderstood you, I apologise.  But taking these two posts together, I can't detect much generosity of spirit! 

C'mon, its nearly Christmas, and we won't all be on your favourite aire at the same time! 

Besides which, there are far more French motorhomers in France than Brits, and their motorhoming magazines give monthly updates on all the new, changed, and closed aires, so the chances are the bleedin' natives will have got there first anyhow!  A couple of wandering Brits, more or less, is neither here nor there in the overall scheme of things.  Give!

robertandjean - 2007-12-18 1:42 PM

snipped...

A few of you have made mention of the camping-car infos web site, and this really is the best guide available for finding aires all across France. If you have not used it before, or have been put off by fact is only available in French then following might help:

On first page click on "Cliquez pour entrer"

next page click on "Rechercher une aire" (left hand side page)

then on next page either on map click on department number and then on aire on list that comes up or

click on list of aires on right hand side of page. Scroll down to one you want then click on "Voir la fiche".

Which ever way you will then get details of the aire including map, GPS, list of services and cost, photos and comments (almost all in French, but can get feel of them, but sometimes comments are in English).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jean and Robert

It's also worth mentioning that there is also an English help page on campingcar-infos ........

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aide_anglaise.htm

Merry Christmas to all....

Pete

Archived