Black Forest next September

Way2Go

Hi,

Mrs Way2Go and I are planning to visit the Black Forest region next September.  Before firming up location, excursions and overnight stays we were wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom to share with us.

I know that some of you have explored the area before and may have some must do/avoid advice.

Many thanks in anticipation.

W2G

Very nice part of Germany. We go there quite frequently. Freiburg is well worth a visit there is a campsite within walking distance and quite close to the supermarket and Shopping Mall http://www.freiburg-camping.de/wEnglisch/ We stay here for short periods when we want to visit Freiburg.

We often stay at a campsite on Titisee Lake www.bankenhof.de/english when we plan a longer stay. There are many places to visit nearby including the highest mountain in Germany, cable cars, rodelbahn and pretty villages.

Phil

Very much a favoured destination for us.

There is much to do in a relatively small area, and towns such as Baden-Baden, Freiburg, Freudenstadt etc are attractive places to stroll around.

The forested areas themselves, whilst being attractive and cool for walking and cycling in the high-summer months do restrict the views a bit, so its worth looking for the more 'open' areas for a stay.

If you're looking at sites I can recommend:

http://www.camping-steingrubenhof.de/index_en.php?lang=en

which is very attractive and well equipped. The touring places are terraced, with stunning views, and though there are a lot of statics on site, we've used it three times in season, and it has been relatively quiet.

It is in one of the more open areas, and is a short walk (though a bit steep) to the village of Sankt Peter, with all facilities. Good area for walking. The Gasthof at the entrance (owned by the site I think) does very good meals.

Another site we've returned to is

http://www.camping-langenwald.de/CampingplatzGB1.htm

near Freudenstadt. This is somewhat more forested, but you can use the forest trails to walk or cycle to Freudenstadt (which is a reasonably sized and very attractive town). Last time we were on this site (towards the end of the UK summer holidays) it was relatiively quiet.

Way2Go - 2007-11-11 4:16 PM

Hi,

Mrs Way2Go and I are planning to visit the Black Forest region next September.  Before firming up location, excursions and overnight stays we were wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom to share with us.

I know that some of you have explored the area before and may have some must do/avoid advice.

Many thanks in anticipation.

W2G

We stayed at a little village called Staufen.

History here says that someone sold their sole for the seceret of Alchemy. Lead to Gold transformation.There are some paintings on the side of houses depicting the story. Also a very nice "Gasthouse" in the village where the scene was to have taken place.

We then went onto Titesee - the home of the Cukcoo clock, and took a boat trip onto the lake. Stayed at a very nice german camp site over looking the lake.

Then we went on to Fussen- home of the the famous King Lugwig's castle - which is copied by Disney world.

Can't get enough of the area, we've been back 7 times now.!!

Thai

120889595_bavariahouse.JPG.950bda9cf7f401c3481e518d21318b77.JPG

And don't forget your camera!

I'm jealous at the thought of it all.

PS

Just had a thought that you may already have tried..........I typed in Haldenweg 3 on Google Earth and the Camping Steingrubenhof

site is shown clearly.

PPS

And of course I then found dozens of sites all displayed !!

Bill

Archived