my computer

franki

I don't always take the laptop but I always have my Palm PDA with me with wireless keyboard. I can use either laptop or PDA via a Bluetooth connection to my mobile phone (GPRS connection). Used mainly for e-mails rather than surfing.

Graham

Yes we always take our lap-top with us for a couple of reasons.

1st. I always do a daily diary in it with a page open to put a couple of pictures in. so at a glance can follow our journeys.

2nd Because its useful to download your pictures and take a CD to back them up they can soon fill up.

3rd The obvious one to keep in touch with E mails, many sites now have WFI and it is not difficult to find a wfi spot if not.

You will find loads of information on back threads on this forum. Carol.

Hi Franki and Sandi, we always take my laptop with us for similar reasons to those stated above but we also use a USB TV tuner with it which turns it into a digital TV and recorder as well as being able to play DVDs on it. I connect my mobile phone to the laptop with a USB lead and can then surf the net and send receive e mails.

More info on internet on the move can be found here:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5615&posts=13

D.

Hi Carol thanks for your advice. I want to take our lap top with us )sounds sad really) but my mother in law spent six months of the year in spain for many years and she is now reliving our life like she had when they had a motorhome.for a very long time and now they are getting on and she relives our journeys. I would like to log our days and send a email to my sister in law and she can pass them on to Mom.Many Thanks Sandi *-)

franki - 2007-11-11 5:46 PM

Hi just trying to find out does anyone take their computer with them on their travels. I would love to take my lovely lap top with me on our journeys and would like to send emails to my family. Any ideas

Franki other half Sandi

(!)

Plan B.

You can get good quality used laptops for very little money nowadays. £100 or so. Might be better to spend that, and if the laptop gets dropped stolen or falls of the m/home bed/table when moving, you have not lost too much.

Rgds

Franki, don't know if you have a daily diary system in your lap top but the one I use you can down load for free and would be able to e mail it direct from the diary, I have used it for 3 years now and it is very user friendly the site is www.splinterware.com/ hope this is of use to you. and as the threads above you will have no trouble useing it abroad. Carol.

My wife & I are travelling for an indefinite period of time in Europe (currently in Portugal) and have a laptop with us for all the reasons already mentioned but also my wife has some work commitments. We did a lot of research before we left on how we were going to connect to the Internet and although there are bluetooth options using mobile phones, which probably suit most people's email requirements (& budget), my wife has to have a decent connection (in terms of speed and reliability) to carry out her work commitments. We therefore use a vodafone mobile connect card, which is expensive but has a range of cost options and 9 out of 10 times it's a broadband connection. If it can't pick up a broadband connection it automatically defaults to GPRS which we find incredibly slow even for email. Perhaps we're just not very patient!

Anyway this is likely to be way more than most people are interested in but thought I'd mention it in case there are others who have to take a bit of work on their motorhome travels.

Archived