Fan Heaters

TeePee

I would like to get a fan heater for our Duetto. I am looking at a 3KW model with 2 settings and thermostat control.

I am wondering if this would use too much power for 6 to 10 amp

hookups. When in use the only other appliances in use would be the battery charger and fridge. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi TeePee, I have a normal domestic fan heater for use in the 'van when we have a hookup in winter, mine is a Glen Delta 3000. this is selectabe lfor fan only, 1KW, 2KW or the full 3KW. I'm curently using it in my office but when we go away in colder weather we usually take it with us. Our 'van is a small coachbuilt and this fan heater is quite capable of keeping it snug and warm on the 1KW setting which takes 4-5 Amps. It is also thermostatically controlled.

D.

Hi,

Total agree with everything that has been said as its Ohms Law, I bet I have spelt that wrong ??

But I would add we use a oil filled radiator which has 2 settings maximum 2kW the reason we use this is because it is silent, albeit the fan heaters are better for a quick response and they are a lot lighter ?

Hope that help

hi Jan,

sounds nice - have you got a reference or link???

ta

we turn ours on using time switch during winter months - so I guess I need to set it up now - comes on a couple of times for maybe an hour just to take the edge - and dampness - off

B-)

ps Mal, the 1kw setting is more than enough in our van - VWT4 - and it means you are within safe guidelines on your electric supply

We actually have two heaters for different purposes.

We have a small oil filled radiator (bought from Maplins I think) which we use at home on cold nghts (such as tonight is forecast to be) to keep the van frost free. It is thermostatically controlled so can be left switched on whilst there is nobody in the van. We have also used it for background heating when using the van, including overnight last January (safe whilst we were asleep).

For heating on hook-up we have a small halogen heater like This One but only use it when we are there. With all radiant heaters like this you need to make sure it's not close enough to anything like a cupboard door to start burning it.

Graham

What frigtens me with these fan heater in Lay up time is we bought two a few years ago they were for use in the shed whilst he was working .

We bought them from screw fix direct and B&Q both used to glow bright red in the elements ? thats a worry suppose we had never seen it ?.

What happens do they just stop or cause a fire . Ok when you are with them so that you can see it happening .

GJH - 2007-11-12 6:04 PM

We actually have two heaters for different purposes.

We have a small oil filled radiator (bought from Maplins I think) which we use at home on cold nghts (such as tonight is forecast to be) to keep the van frost free. It is thermostatically controlled so can be left switched on whilst there is nobody in the van. We have also used it for background heating when using the van, including overnight last January (safe whilst we were asleep).

For heating on hook-up we have a small halogen heater like This One but only use it when we are there. With all radiant heaters like this you need to make sure it's not close enough to anything like a cupboard door to start burning it.

Graham

no good Graham, it's not machine washable apparently :-> >:-)

B-)

Hi,

We use the heating thats fitted in the van either gas or electric.

As for heating the van when not in use we never have, we do leave all the locker and cupboard doors open, so that they stay aired. We leav e the bed made up. After every trip we strip the bed and re make it ready for the next trip. When we go off in the winter if needed we just use the cab heater whilst travelling, then depending on the weather we put the heat on when we arrive. We have a halogen heater but found it not much good. I use an oil filled heater in the shed when I am woodturning that keeps the shed nice and snug.

David

We've tried a varierty of different heaters.

Fan heater - quick to warm up and blow the heat around the van, just put on and leave if it's got a thermostat, downside is it's noisy if you want to leave it on overnight.

Convector heater - fairly quick to warm up nice and quiet, again just put on and leave it if it's got a thermostat. Safe to leave on overnight.

Oil filled radiator - can be very slow to warm up and take even longer to warm the van, nice and quiet but heavy.

Halogen heater - quick to warm up but only tend to warm the area immediately adjacent to them (I've currently got one blasting my right leg whilst my left one is frozen!), they don't really circulate the heat in any way - even the oscillating ones aren't very good, when they go off the heat drops immediately. Would never leave it on overnight or when I'm not in the van - as it's got an open front if anything were to fall, or get blown onto the elements I suspect a fire would be in the offing very soon.

Of all the electric portable heaters available the best type I've seen more recently are the newer convector types with built in fan, the best of both worlds!

Hi,

Just like to add, that if you do chose to use some form of supplementary heating rather than the built in system, then do check that all of the exposed pipework and tanks etc are protected from frost/freezing.

As quiet a lot of MH's have the hot air ducting routed through or past areas which contain tanks and pipework that are likely to freeze as an added protection in very bad weather ?

Hope that helps

michele - 2007-11-12 12:20 PM

Do people leave their fan heaters on over night whilst not in the vehicle in winter ? I think I would worry that I started a fire .

I do, i have a timer and it comes on for 1hour at a time, keeps my baby nice and snug, and dry.

Paul ,

this is the ones we have very similar and as I say he uses in the shed .

with in weeks they were glowing bright red ? not for me I couldnt sleep at night with the worry so I will buy a new one but it will only be on when we are there and not through the night .

2039739621_fanHeater.jpg.6615d9f35c037c3e3277e66abe565434.jpg

michele - 2007-11-13 10:28 PM

Paul ,

this is the ones we have very similar and as I say he uses in the shed .

with in weeks they were glowing bright red ? not for me I couldnt sleep at night with the worry so I will buy a new one but it will only be on when we are there and not through the night .

Thats the same as the one I just brought tonight from Currys. In fact I brought two Just in case I need it in the alps. What I intend to do is use my gas heating at night and then switch the fan on during the day. Like you say its a bit noisy at night.

Archived