Fan Heaters

TeePee

Hi,

Normally I think the only reason the filaments glow red is because the fan is not moving sufficient air across them, which could be due to the fan motor is turning to slowly, or there is a lot of fluff built up on the intake grill or on the fan blades themselves or somthing has fallen over the intake grill ??etc.

Whilst the small oil filled will probably be OK in a Duetto they are not really big enough for larger vans. I had one in my Hymer B564 and it was far too small (it was 700watts similar to the one in Handyman's link) OK to keep the chill off overnight but no good to actually keep warm.

Fan heaters are great but you do need to get a quiet one. I found that I woke up every time it switched itself on during the night.

Current van has gas and electric Truma and runs 900 watts or 1.8Kw. I've used the 900W setting when on a 6A hookup at Shepton Mallet in January and it works quite well.

On a similar topoic, we are looking at the Bessecarr E560 van and its' only heating system is a Truma blown air heating system, (a 6KW gas & 2KW electric combi boiler to supply the blown air central heating and hot water.) My van at present has a simple Truma gas heater, this is more than hot enough and of course doesn't use any electric. Important when we are not hooked up.

My question is does anyone know how much power this new fangled thing is going to suck out of my batteries? I am going over to Brownhills on Saturday to interrogate the salesman but I just wanted some prior knowledge, so if anyone has such a system please let me know how you cope.

There are some good ideas about supplementary heating on this thread and I may pinch some anyway!

Tomo3090 - 2007-11-15 8:55 AM

My question is does anyone know how much power this new fangled thing is going to suck out of my batteries? I am going over to Brownhills on Saturday to interrogate the salesman but I just wanted some prior knowledge, so if anyone has such a system please let me know how you cope.

Not sure of the actual figure but I believe around 20 watts.

In practice my 110AH battery lasts for around 4 - 5 days in winter with the heating on but no TV usage :-S

Just looked on the Truma site http://www.truma.com/truma05/en/products/detail1_en_83827.html for the model in my van. Data below.

Of course the actual consumption depends on the temperature and how long it runs for. For that I refer back to my previous estimate of 4 - 5 days.

Technical Data

* 2000 / 4000 / 6000 Watts of heating power (gas operation only)

* 900 / 1800 Watts of heating power (electric operation only)

* max. 7800 Watts of heating power (in mixed operation)

* Power consumption of 0.2 - 5.9 A (12 V)

* Heating element power consumption of 3.9 A (900 W) and 7.8 A (1800 W) (230 V)

* Weight 18.7 kg (without water)

* Gas consumption of 170 - 480 g/h depending on burner setting

* Water heating times from 15°C to 70°C

* In summer mode: Gas: 35 min. / Electricity (1800 W): 45 min.

* In winter mode (Gas+Electricity): approx. 60 min.

* Max. water pressure of 2.8 bar

* Max. recirculating air fan capacity of 287 m³/h

Archived