2001 peugeot Boxer 2.5TD eldis autostratus eb

Guest Roy Stilwell

Guest Roy Stilwell
The elddis has an alko chassis is it possible to fit a towbar and then be within towing limits for a smallcar transporter & smallcar. Roy

Guest Derek Uzzell
There are special towbars available for Al-ko chassis (see http://www.al-ko.co.uk/chassis-towbars.htm) but how easy it would be to fit one to your Autostratus could depend on what Elddis has done in adding the coachbuilt body. You should be able to get a fair idea about the practicality of the exercise by looking underneath. If there is plenty of room at the back then the task should be straightforward: if there isn't, then it probably won't be. Al-ko, Explorer Group and/or an Elddis dealer should be able to advise. Towing legality will depend on the weight of what's being towed, the maximum 'train weight' of your motorhome and its maximum axle-loadings. You'll need to weigh your vehicle in current fully-loaded state to get a realistic idea of what spare towing/loading capacity it has, then do your own calculations.

Guest Roy Stilwell
Derek. Thanks for the info, I must confess I have not yet had it. My intention is to fit a towbar and if possible use an "A" frane to tow one of those very light AIXAM cars.I am aware of the problem with these frames, so it may have to be a small car transporter? I have been a caravanner since 1968 now I am changing to a motor home. there are various extras I want to fit, the towbar is the most important and second is a cruise control. The explorer group needs the 17 digit number to assist me, I have been onto the dealer selling the van for that. Thanks again,if anyone wants to comment on cruise controls or fitted LPG gas tanks, as against refillable gas bottles I would be gratefull Roy

Guest David Powell
Hello Roy...My second name...I am considereing having my 2Ltr petrol engine run on LPG, and using it for domestic as well, seeing as bottled gas costs so much. Had a long chat with M.T.H.Gas Systems, at the Malvern Show.. www.mthautogas.co.uk The underslung 20ltr tank ,about 10 Kg of gas, £300 + vat, takes all the 'work' out of carrying gas bottles, although a bit expensive I thought, and leaves you with an empty gas bottle locker. His price for doing the engine was only £700 including VAT which is a bit cheaper than other quotes I have had, plus he would give a discount if both jobs done at the same time. The domestic tank and the engine fuel tank would have a common filler, so in effect the domestic tank should never run out. Whole job takes three days, live in the van while they are doing the job in their own little site. Over a long term I think the underslung tank is the answer. Over to you all.

Guest Roy Stilwell
David. My towing car is a BMW 735i se and I had it converted to LPG about 5 years ago, the first 12 months or so were a disaster, the system kept blowing apart. The problem with gas conversions is that there are a lot of cowboys, and sods law I chose one. I then for a short period I went back to petrol, until I found an Austrailian who redid my system at extra cost and I have not looked back. The initial conversion was £1350, the extra work was about £400 but this included a computer. Alex has now departed to pastures new but left me in th hands of Martin Collins of plexus development in Port Talbot. I would recomend them to anyone. I average out towing a Sterling Ecles Saphire at about 26MPG I have an 80 litre tank in the boot. and have had no serios problems for years. I will have Martin fit a tank, or fit two refillables connected together with an external filler point. I have always thought of LPG in terms of Litres with the car and never new the relationship to Kg, it seems to be about 2 litres to 2 Kg? Roy

Guest David Powell
Thanks Roy I will look up Martin Collins, I'm only about 15 minutes from Port Talbot. I, like you, always thought Ltrs and Kgs were one for one, I have now been informed that is so for pure fresh water, but LPG is lighter at 2 Ltrs per Kg, which looks about right looking at the bottles. I'll go see Martin and see what he can do for me.

Guest David Powell
Thankyou Roy...He obviously gives value for money, or you would not have mentioned him. Thus all those cliches..."pay cheap.pay twice"..."you get nothing for nothing" etc: etc: He may take one look at the old J reg.'van and say at that age don't bother, though she has only done 45K and runs like new, shiney and rust free.

Guest Roy Stilwell
Derek Uzzell. Thanks for the AL-KO site, I was under the impression that these longer motorhomes had an aluminium extension. It seem though that it may be a replacement Lightweight galvanized steel chassis. I have been in touch with AL-KO but it is the weekend so no reply as yet. Roy.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Roy: I'm fairly ruthless about chucking away redundant magazines/brochures and I've got nothing left over 3 years old, but the 2003 Autostratus definitely had an Al-Ko galvanised-steel replacement rear chassis and I'm pretty sure this would also be the case with 2001 vehicles. When a motorhome is constructed on the base-vehicle manufacturer's original chassis and (as is often the case) its rear body stretches well beyond the end of that chassis, a supporting rear extension is usually added. I believe such extensions are often sourced from Al-Ko, but I'm a bit doubtful that they are made from aluminium. Customarily, the term "Al-Ko chassis" will be used only for a replacement chassis, not for any chassis-extension. That will certainly be true if a motorhome dealer has told you that 'your' Autostratus has an Al-Ko chassis. Anyway, when you inspect the vehicle it's easy to confirm this as all Al-Ko chassis have independent rear-wheel suspension using a trailing arm on each side, while the chassis construction itself is multi-part/bolted-together rather than the welded girder-frame of the original. The axle bearings of Al-Ko chassis need regular greasing to avoid expensive problems and it would be wise to check with the dealer that this maintenance task has been carried out. John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" (Haynes Publishing) contains a useful section on the Al-Ko chassis, plus invaluable information on other motorhome topics. It continues to be a mystery to me why motorhomers and caravanners don't all have a copy of JW's books and why he isn't a millionaire living in the Bahamas!

Guest mikeThomas
Hi Roy I had the same problem on our 1998 Eldis Autostratus EB The last aprox 4 foot of your alko chassis has an extension fitted at manufacture I did make &fit my own tow bar and scooter rack in the end. When thinking of doing this I did contacted Alko for information and was told you must pick up strength from in front of this extension piece on the chassis rails !! And not just bolt on to the rear towing eye points each side, as other van's I had seen had done. I went back to the rear wheels mounting point brackets some1.9mt side irons !! I also added mounting points for rear corner steadies at the same time still have them if any use to you send me you email if you would like any more info on this . Regards MikeT

Guest Roy Stilwell
Derek I will check with the dealer as you advised, and I had forgotten about the Caravan manual and that there would probably be a simular publication for motorvans. Mike I dont Know if I would have the courage to make my own towbar, and I will only fit one if I can't manage without a car, and can get one of the only two cars legal with an "A" frame. as I don't want to tow a trailer Im afraid I'm not up on motorvans but the fraternity seems as good if not better than the caravanners ive always known.

Archived