Fridge Problem!!!!

sreve

Hi

I've just bought a 1993 peougeot burstner coachbuilt,when i got it home i tried the fridge on 240 volt for at least 24 hrs but nothing happened.The indicator light worked and it was producing heat behind the fridge but not getting even slightly cool (slightly warmer in fact!) The same happened when i tried it on gas.So i removed the fridge and connected it up in my shed.This time on 240 volt and on the gas it worked perfectly.I then stuck it back in the van and again it was not getting remotely cool.I can only think that it's an air flow problem but i can't believe that a problem like this would just develop for no apparent reason.The person i bought the van from said that it worked really well for them.It can't be to do with the outside temp' this time of year.Has anyone got any ideas that could be usefull,

Would putting a 12 volt fan on the floor behind the fridge (obviuosly pointing away from the gas jet) help to cool the air down and allow the hot air at the back escape quicker and so make it easier for the fridge to get cold inside????

Any help is much appreciated.

Simon

If it works on the bench, it should work in the van.  Even with poor airflow the fridge should cool, albeit not so well as with a good airflow.  However, as suggested, check that the van is reasonably level, the older fridges are no very tilt tolerant.

Since both the electric and gas heaters seem to be working, it may be that it is low on refrigerant.  As you've already had it out, it may be worth contacting Dometic for a repairer near to you, and taking the fridge to them to assess.  That should be much cheaper than a home call out, and they should be able to test it more thoroughly out of the van.  They can generally re-gas them as long as the loss isn't due to physical damage.  However, it is 14 years old, so don't expect miracles!

I agree with the above, is it level Etc.,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a possible air bubble in the Refrigerant, to cure problem : Invert whole fridge (turn it upside down) and leave it for 30 mins or so, then refit it (the right way up.....) and give it a try. it worked ,and is still working on my 16year old Electrolux.

Brian could be right though,but expect a recharge of refrigerant to be expensive ? Good luck :D

Archived