Undersealing.

Martyn Ward.

Not a directly relevant response to underseal I'm afraid, but............

Our MH is 15 years old (Euramobil, on a Peugeot J5 chassis-cab base).

We bought it here in Spain, but it had lived most of it's life in Germany until 1994, then had a couple of years in the UK before coming over here in 1996

The chasis and engine compartment were both obviously completely Waxoyled either at 1st manufacture or very shortly thereafter.

After 15 tears and 140,000 kms there is not a jot of rust anywhere underneath or inside the engine compartment.

I don't simply mean there are no rust holes, I mean there is no rust at all. None.

Chassis and engine compartment are obviously dirty, but the dirt is on top of the Waxoyl - and I've avoided the temptation to jet-wash or steam clean it underneath as I don't want to run the risk of removing what has obviously been a wonderful protective covering just to make it look lovely and white again.

In my personal experience, this Waxoyl treatment is absolutely fantastic.

Hi BJD,

Just curious, how do you know it is Waxoyl if you did not have it done yourself?

Martyn,

Whatever your answer I too would endorse the Waxoyl treatment, ours has been done, and although I have not used Before n After myself I have heard good reports of them, though through a classic car club rather than motorhome.

Bas

Basil - 2007-11-13 3:25 PM

Hi BJD,

Just curious, how do you know it is Waxoyl if you did not have it done yourself?

Martyn,

Whatever your answer I too would endorse the Waxoyl treatment, ours has been done, and although I have not used Before n After myself I have heard good reports of them, though through a classic car club rather than motorhome.

Bas

Hya -

Waxoyl is a whitish but almost clear, waxy substance when applied.

It retains it's waxy texture, and thus is very water-repellent for many years, unless scratched or scraped off.

If you've ever seen a vehicle with it on the chassis/inside of the sills/in the engine bay, you'll always know what it looks like in future.

Underseal is a gloopy, bitumous (usually black) sort of thick rubberised compound, and when sprayed or brushed on it's much thicker.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Hi BGD,

Yes I am aware of what Waxoyl looks like, and of course it can also be black. However there are several other makers, Dynitrol for instance, that after they are applied they look identical to Waxoyl from experience with classic cars.

I was just interested how you were so sure it was Waxoyl and not one of the other rust treatments.

Bas

I can reccomend Waxoyl as it is water repellant so when applied it drives any moisture away. Once dried it forms a waxy coating which water will not penetrate. Traditional underseal on the other hand does not repel water but is intended to form a barrier, trouble is it often traps moisture underneath itself which then rusts through the metal that the underseal is supposed to be protecting.

My own motorhome is waxoyled, presumalby from new, and at 17 years old is showing no signs of rust.

D.

Guest JudgeMental
Martyn Ward. - 2007-11-12 7:50 PM

I'm pondering having the Swift undersealed this winter and wondered if any of you splendid people have any experience of "Before and After" undersealers, based in Newbury?

Thanks all.

Martyn.

if your van is relatively new is this process really necessary these days?

I would think best to get done in the summer/ end of summer after a continual period of hopefully dry hot weather....

JudgeMental - 2007-11-13 5:44 PM

I would think best to get done in the summer/ end of summer after a continual period of hopefully dry hot weather....

Well nowadays that would be round about April then just in time for the monsoon season.

Docted

JudgeMental - 2007-11-13 5:44 PM

Martyn Ward. - 2007-11-12 7:50 PM

I'm pondering having the Swift undersealed this winter and wondered if any of you splendid people have any experience of "Before and After" undersealers, based in Newbury?

Thanks all.

Martyn.

When it's new is the ideal time to do it. But only if you intend to keep it for quite a while, otherwise you are doing it for subsequent owners, at your expense. Mine is 8Yrs old and was done from new and is totally rust free.

Hi,

Waxoyl is great stuff and I have used it for years on my cars.

However, be VERY careful in applying it to motorhomes that use mastics to seal joints. The solvent type ingredients in Waxoyl can significantly soften some mastics and cause it to leach out of the joint.

I can speak from painful experience on this as I had to reseal some caravan joints back in the mid 90's.

I tend to support the view expressed above that a carefully maintained MH should not need this type of treatment - I don't recall ever seeing a Mk2 Ducato with rusty body panels for example. I believe they are fully galvanised these days - anybody confirm this?

Nobby

Does anyone know what the warranty position would be with a vehicle with this waxoil treatment, if still under the manufacturers guarantee. Generaly a 3year warranty is offered, but ones first thought is to get the underside protected in less than 3 years. (?)

w1ntersun - 2007-11-14 10:13 AM

Hi,

Ignore the picture I have not updated it yet.

I changed my m/h for a hymer this year and in the literature it says.

DO NOT apply wax based underseal on this HYMER motorhome

Richard

That's because of the wooden floor. Mine is based on a chasis and platfom cab, so has the steel floor under the wooden one. Therefore Waxoyling is beneficial, especially in the chassis cross members.

peter - 2007-11-14 9:21 PM

Richard

That's because of the wooden floor. Mine is based on a chasis and platfom cab, so has the steel floor under the wooden one. Therefore Waxoyling is beneficial, especially in the chassis cross members.

What difference does having a wooden floor make? I have Waxoyled caravans since the late 70's with wooden floors as well as our current motorhome that will be 10 years young next year and there has been no detrimental effect whatsoever only total rust free chassis and protected woodwork.

Bas

Basil - 2007-11-14 10:08 PM

Richard

What difference does having a wooden floor make? I have Waxoyled caravans since the late 70's with wooden floors as well as our current motorhome that will be 10 years young next year and there has been no detrimental effect whatsoever only total rust free chassis and protected woodwork.

Bas

Nothing wrong with wooden floor at all. I was refering to why Hymer say you shouldn't Waxoyl it. As it would be almost impossible to repair with wax all over it. And as wood doesn't rust it's not necessary. Better to put preservative paint on it if anything at all.

peter - 2007-11-15 11:02 PM

Basil - 2007-11-14 10:08 PM

Richard

Bas

Nothing wrong with wooden floor at all. I was refering to why Hymer say you shouldn't Waxoyl it. As it would be almost impossible to repair with wax all over it. And as wood doesn't rust it's not necessary. Better to put preservative paint on it if anything at all.

Hi Peter,

Thats fine but doesn't give any understanding as to why Hymer say you shouldn't Waxoyl it. I have had to carry out several repairs to Waxoyled wooden floors and far from being 'almost impossible to repair' it was easy and really no different to if it had not been, as the Waxoyl soaks in and just seals the surface.

Just interested to know why it has been said

Bas

Archived