Spanner Icon

Robbie

I would imagine it could be something to do with resetting the chip?  It may well be that Brownhills did and the other guy didn't or know how to?

I drive a Saab that does the same thing.  When its serviced the chip gets reset and it counts down the next 12,000 miles.

If this is the pre-facelift, 2003ish, then it tells you how to get rid of the symbol in the owners manual. You have to turn the ignition on while pushing the odo reset or something similar. I had the same trouble but have since changed the van for a Transit based so am unable to give you any further info - sorry.

I had the same problem the other day but managed to remove the icon on my late 2005 model Ducato by the following method as shown in the handbook:

Turn ignition key to MAR (ie first position)

Press the odometer button (lower right of rev counter) for about 10 seconds

Display should now show the spanner symbol and either CFG1,CFG2 or CFG3.

Pressing the odometer button briefly cycles through CFG1, 2 and 3

Once the correct one is showing press the odometer button for about 5 seconds

CFG1, 2 and 3 are for different service intervals as follows:

CFG1 30000km for normal vehicle use

CFG2 20000km for severe use

CFG3 15000km for heavy vehicle use

I set mine to CFG1

Hope this works - good luck

tonybvi - 2007-11-13 3:34 PM

I had the same problem the other day but managed to remove the icon on my late 2005 model Ducato by the following method as shown in the handbook:

I set mine to CFG1

Yep quite right, thats how I do mine.

If you go on the fiat forum theres lots of advice surrounding this info for differring fiats

tonybvi - 2007-11-13 3:34 PM

I set mine to CFG1

hi i cleared mine early this year in the same way. it first came up whe van was 1 yr old then again 12 months later, so there must be a way of resetting it on a timed basis the above way does it on mileage

us as not got a fiat but as got a talbot. so us keeps a real spanner on the dashboard just in case. and it as come in useful on several ocassions not least to threaten alice when her gets the navigation wrong. seriously tho, i screwed a magnet to the dash and this keeps said spanner in place secure like.

fred

We have a Fiat Ducato first registered Jan 2004 and have had the same problem with the spanner icon. Thanks, TONYBVI for enlightening us on how to remove this symbol. I followed your instructions and did the job - at least! May I suggest a few additional comments?

1. Follow your instructions exactly.

2. In my case, it was necesary to keep pressing the odometer button for more than 10 secs. until the service intervals appear.

3. It seems that the service intervals only appear when you continue pressing the button with the total mileage on display (not when the trip counter shows)

4. Like you, I selected CFG 1 (normal usage - appropriate for most motorhomes); and pressed for about 5 secs or until the service interval disappears.

5. Then switch off by turning the key back.

6. When the engine is restarted by turning the key, each time the spanner appears briefly and then it disappears. Hurrah!!

Many thanks for very helpful instructions.

Archived