Sat Navs

chatterdog

Which Sat Nav system would you recommend with regard to uploading POIs, speed cams etc and ease of use and reliability Please.

I have decided it is time to update my old satnav as i cannot upload 'pois' etc. I have an old Garmin streetpilot 111 of many years reliable use and have just been on to garmin because i couldn't work out which poi handler prog to use and was told that my unit wasn't compatable and would need to upgrade.

Is there one that now does continuous maps e.g. all of europe without having to change data cards? as i have different countries on different cards at present.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information given

Guest Tracker

I have a Navman icn510, over 3 years old and obsolete now but it works very well throughout UK Spain and France so I have no reason to suspect that it won't work just as well in other countries.

I doubt I would buy another Navman product due to their obstructive and unhelpful website when the device was new, although it does seem to work better now, loading new maps was a real pain in the bum.

But then again I have had no problems with it for over a year so have not needed their help.

Hi,

If you have the room then I would go for a laptop with Microsoft Autoroute with GPS, you can also use the laptop for numerous other things as well.

I have noticed recently that they are introducing some very small laptops with 7inch screens, if you are interested have a look at the link below, Albeit I don't know if you could install Autoroute onto it, you would need to double check, if you find out please let me know?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135074

Hope that helps

my tomtom go 500 is still going strong afetr the last few years and easily updated with POI's and gatso etc.if you can drop on a second hand tomtom go 500 or even a tomtom go 300 (fairly cheap), i can put the latest uk and european maps plus poi's, gatso and voices etc on a 2gig sd card for you to simply plug and play, saving you a fortune!!

Hi chatterdog

Like you I changed my old system (TomTom Navigator on an O2 PDA) this year to a stand alone unit. The latest ones have come down in price and have a variety of useful features including pedestrian mode, POI's, and europe wide maps on a single card or on an integrated hard drive.

Unfortunately, I went for the Garmin Nuvi 360T which offered everything I was looking for. However, on our first big trip with it to Germany, Luxembourg and France it proved anything but useful. There were serious deficiencies in the mapping and operating system that I just couldn't live with so, on our return, I sent it back and (thankfully) got a full refund.

I am now going back to TomTom and will probably buy the TomTom One Europe XL.

Good luck,

David

Hi

Co-Pilot runs all of (NavTeq)Europe mapping from single card, seamless journey planning, multiple stops, you can select vehicle type also, and customise down to types of road preferences, can be used on a PDA or Smartphone, download of POI in various formats, pre planning on pc if needed and live tracking if you have a GPRS mobile. We have used it for several years for business all over Europe, prefer it to TomTom which we have tried at various times just in case it has improved. CoPilot is standard fit for a number of car makers.

Others have found TomTom easy to use but their customer (non)service leaves a lot of people frustrated.

Ultimately it is dependent on your comfort zone with this type of technology, but whatever you choose make sure that you can download your own POI's.

Hope that helps

Chris

Have used Tom Tom for many years, now on version 6 of TomTom Navigator running on a PDA.

I have the whole of Europe on a SD card, no problem with cross border navigation. Used in France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg , Italy and Switzerland, no problems except where new islands and bypasses have been constructed and do not appear on latest maps. But as most mapping software is at least 2 years out of date by the time navigation manufacturers issue it then you have to expect an occasional hiccup. but it has always got where I want to go.

I cannot comment on the various toTomTom stand alone units but as I believe the software is identical to my Navigator then you should not have any problems.

Paul M

What do you actually want to know about Autoroute?

Hi Paul and Ann, if you already have Autoroute then you just need to buy a compatible GPS receiver. There are quite a few around, I think they are about £50. If you haven't got AR then it's best to buy Autoroute with GPS which retails for around £99. Your laptop then becomes a large screen satnav, with detailed maps down to street level for all of Western and some parts of Eastern, Europe.

The only problem is its size, but quite a few people have made supports for it that fit on the glove box, or those with M/Hs with a wide dashboard mount it on there.

It is possible for the passenger to use it on their lap but this is unsafe IMO.

If you need more info just ask.

Phil.

We've had a TomTom for some time and, in the main, have been very pleased. However, before going over to France this summer, we decided to try to update the French maps. This turned out to be a real problem. Having failed to get the new maps onto the TomTom, I sent the following self-explanatory email to TomTom:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked for updates to my GO 700 and was told I could instal new French maps. I paid up and downloaded to my PC fine. However, I cannot instal to the TomTom. First I had a message, "It is not possible to activate the map automatically. Plase activate the map manually using this code 8AH5A NR8EX JWC5H. I didn't know how to do this but then got a further message, "Map of France - this item is not suitable for your TomTom device. The application on your device is out of date. Please update the application on your device." How can I instal the map I have paid for - how can the Map of France not be suitable when it was listed as an option to update this model. An urgent reply is needed as I am leaving for France on Sunday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomTom replied, "Your question has been received at our TomTom Support Department.

You should expect a response from us within 24 hours.

To add information to, or cancel, your question, you can do so by updating it through the link ‘MyQuestions’ in your MyTomTom section or by clicking on the link below."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I heard no more and have not been able to find out how to contact them other than by a fresh email. I have to say that I gave up in frustration, but they still have my money and I have no up-to-date maps on the machine! Has anyone any suggestions how I could speak to someone at TomTom or where I could write by snailmail, please?

Thanks. Empress

:'(

Hi Philman

Being a real dumbo re computors etc.

1 How do I go about fitting a GPS to my computor. I have a 15" Medion briefcase with Vista.

2 How does it work?

Hope you can help I have seen on websites 2007 Autoroute with GPS from about £75 +

Thanks Paul

Hapiness is no white bits!

Hi, Paul

I think "Philman" has already explained it ? , we have a Ducato cab front and have made a shelf which sits over the hole/indent where you normally keep all the rubbish ?? and the laptop sits on the shelf.

My wife normally is the navigator and she just programs in the route and it works exactly the same as any GPS sat Nav it tell you where and when to turn and if you make a wrong turning it either tels you to turn around or you press F3 and it sorts out a new route.

You can zoom in to have a look at the road types its is going to try and send you down, you can also alter the types of roads you would prefer. It will work out your fuel costs, you can exclude include toll roads, it will tell you what your lat/long position is at any time, you can set the route by post code, name, lat/long, it will tell you your height above sea level it goes on and on. It will put the kettle on ?LoL

If you have the room then i really don't know why anyone would use anything else ?? especially with the tea making facility ?? LoL

Oh you can down load so much information on POI's, and if you do a Google search for Microsoft Autoroute 2007 with GPS you will find it for just under £70, make sure it is the one with GPS included, its written on the box

Just for information I have ordered one of those mini PC's Asus EEEPC 701 to try it to see if it will work with Autoroute GPS. I will let you know how I get on as it runs a version of Linux rather than windows.

Oh in answer to your last question you just install the software that you purchase it comes on CD/DVD and plug your GPS sensor that also comes in the box into one of your spare USB ports then stick it in the window [the GPS sensor] where it has a clear view of the sky and then follow the instuctions. as simple as that.

The only other thing I would mention is that you will proberbly need a in-car charger for your laptop as it will be on for a long while and the batteries will go flat. you can purchase one of these from somewhere like Maplins here is an example link. but check online as you may be able to find a better deal also check that the voltage range will work with your computer as if its set wrong it can seriously damage your computer

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=36836&doy=15m11

Hope that helps

Brian

Paul M - 2007-11-14 9:23 PM

Enodreven,

Interesed to know how you work Microsoft Autoroute can you help.

Paul and Ann

Hapiness is no white bits!

Hi, It appears that it does work with Vista but you have to follow some rules, have a look at the link

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.uk.autoroute&tid=8274b008-c69b-4214-8390-9fbd0afd51a6&cat=en_US_3c4f26e7-9087-4341-93b4-a7b01479951b&lang=en&cr=US&p=1

as for Speedcams I really don't know, try doing a search on Google, you may also want to check the legal situation regarding speedcams in France as while i don't think its necessarily a problem knowing where they are i think it is illegal to have a system which detects them as you approach, but don't take my word for it double check first

Oh buy the way i would suggest if you are thinking of using it as a SatNav system then purchase the version with the GPS included as there are 2 version one with the GPS receiver included and one without ??Its written on the box

hope that helps

Randonneur - 2007-11-16 12:44 PM

Just been having a look online at Autoroute Euro 2007. Does it work with Vista as the web says Windows XP. Unfortunately my new laptop is Vista. Also will it allow you to download Speedcams obviously if you subscribe to the correct site of course.

Hi,

Just reading a thread on Chatterbox posted by Graham, it appears Aldi's have some laptop deals this weekend [sunday] and one of the items they have is a in-car power supply for laptops which may suit anyone that is thinking of using their laptop as SatNav systems or for any other reason when not on hook-up, here's the link

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_4710.html

Check and make sure the voltage meets your laptop requirements

hope that helps

Brian

I use a "ComOn" Converter for my laptop when on site without electrics,

it works well, about £12,00

see

http://www.minwa.com.hk/newDesign/products/product_details_key_search.asp?id=1651 (theres also a picture)

Its called a Notebook Converter with stepped up output voltages and plugs into the cigar lighter socket.

Somewhat similar to the Aldi thread above with assessories but the "Com On" does have a standard car type fuse (red)

chatterdog - 2007-11-14 10:24 AM

Which Sat Nav system would you recommend with regard to uploading POIs, speed cams etc and ease of use and reliability Please.

I have decided it is time to update my old satnav as i cannot upload 'pois' etc. I have an old Garmin streetpilot 111 of many years reliable use and have just been on to garmin because i couldn't work out which poi handler prog to use and was told that my unit wasn't compatable and would need to upgrade.

Is there one that now does continuous maps e.g. all of europe without having to change data cards? as i have different countries on different cards at present.

Hi chatterdog -you know I have the same problem. I bought my garman about 6 years ago and was regarded as a bit of a freak but its provided stirling service across Europe. The thing is I can't update the mapping which is rapidly becoming out of date especially in Spain.

Although the responses to your thread are very interesting there's no clear cut "best buy" and it occurs to me that the solution might be to hang on to that old garman and run it alongside something like a TomTom. My garman has features the new ones don't (like a trip computer) and it would also give a "second opinion" of routes.

The thing is there's probably enough space in a motorhome cab to take two units without creating distractions.

Just a thought.

Vernon

hi , I have no probs updating the maps through my comp at the garmin site as long as I dont want the current year the older editions of maps -like last year are free, just a pain downloading to comp then reloading to card. just that i would like pois so i can see easily on the route where sites are rather than using endless books and o.s. refs The unit has limited waypoints and im not clever with these sorts of things.

Guest JudgeMental
Vernon B - 2007-11-17 10:43 AM

chatterdog - 2007-11-14 10:24 AM

Hi chatterdog -you know I have the same problem. I bought my garman about 6 years ago and was regarded as a bit of a freak but its provided stirling service across Europe. The thing is I can't update the mapping which is rapidly becoming out of date especially in Spain.

Although the responses to your thread are very interesting there's no clear cut "best buy" and it occurs to me that the solution might be to hang on to that old garman and run it alongside something like a TomTom. My garman has features the new ones don't (like a trip computer) and it would also give a "second opinion" of routes.

The thing is there's probably enough space in a motorhome cab to take two units without creating distractions.

Just a thought.

Vernon

Who told you you cant upgrade maps? and what model have you?

I have a Garmin 2610 and upgraded to latest V9 this year for approx £40 new maps due in new year so I would wait now....

empress - 2007-11-15 9:12 AM We've had a TomTom for some time and, in the main, have been very pleased. However, before going over to France this summer, we decided to try to update the French maps. This turned out to be a real problem. Having failed to get the new maps onto the TomTom, :- Empress :'(

If you download the TomTom at home programme to your computer you will have no further problems. It will update the software automatically and you will then be able to download your maps of France. Believe me it does work!

Archived