peugeot boxer 2.5 diesel

johnviv

hi all

has any body had any problems with the following

first thing in the morning the vehicle starts ok, the a few minutes later it cuts out, if i bleed the system it will run ok all day, (i have changed the fuel filter and bled the system and the problem is still there) has anyone come across this problem, and how did you get around it.

many thanks.

johnviv.

Guest Tracker

A small air leak in the high pressure fuel system seems most likely, although it is possible that it could be a suspect lift pump - if it has one - not sure?

If so a worn diaphragm or leaky valve might prevent a dry pump from lifting fuel whereas when pumped by hand it might work OK. I can't remember the fuel system details - sorry - old age creeping on!

If the leak allows air in when the engine is stationary resulting in an airlock in the high pressure side which prevents you starting, you might just be able to spot a very small fuel weep somewhere in or on the system.

You will of course need a very clean and dry engine and fuel system to be able to spot a small leak which should manifest itself when the engine is running and the fuel is under pressure.

Suspect number one might be the seating of the bleed valve followed by injector pipes where they connect to the injectors.

I had a very similar problem with my ex m/h, which was an Elddis 320 2.5 TD on a Peugeot J5 chassis. It turned out to be a blocked fuel tank breather filter thing which was located under the van in the vicinity of the tank and this had got 'crudded up'. After cleaning it ran perfect. You may be able to check yours by running it till it stalls then opening the filler cap to see if it starts ok.

Hope it all goes well.

regards

Allen

You've definitely got an air leak. If your van is parked on a slope at night I'd say that almost certainly confirms it. Because it runs o.k. after bleeding backs up my suspicions. Try putting a dollop of heavy grease over each joint on the pipework from the tank to the injector pump, if this allows the engine to start and run on a morning then to find the leak remove the grease from one joint at a time till the problem returns, then attend to that joint and hopefully all will be well. the problem used to be common with diesel cars before common rail and lift pumps in the tank, I'm assuming that your year has the Lucas type Roto-Pump which sucks the fuel from the tank with the injector pump. Because the fuel system runs under vacuum if there is the slightest leak air will get in over night particularly when a van is parked on a slope with the front end uppermost giving the systems you describe.

Bill Ord

Archived