help..is winter route to the med via portugal viable

berti

hi everyone

i am thinking of an alternative route down to the med this year in early jan.

last year went via biaritz/hendaye to burgos/salamanca/merida through spain down to the coast. we decided to give portugal a try (our 1st visit ) and stayed on the algarve strip mostly as it was a bit nippy further up on the west coast past sagres in mid-february

we really enjoyed our time in portugal and this year we are thinking of crossing into portugal at badajoz

(would this be too cold/mountainous etc )

and seeing a bit more of the interior perhaps

berti

Berti,

We've been that way a few times over the years and you should not have any problems with snow.

If you want to have a look inland I suggest you try Evora, Beja and then stay on the site at Serpa. This municipal site is within walking distance of the town.

The town is well worth a visit and is a very good place to relax for a few days.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

thanks don and wingpete...

i think we will follow up both suggestions

i am not too familiar with cadiz area ..are there any places to stay ...either wild camping or sites..also anything interesting to see?

any help will be appreciated

also thinking of jerez area but am putting a separate post on as i am thinking of something specific

thanks

berti

Hi Bertie,

There's Conil de la Frontera on the Costa de la Luz between Cadiz and Tarifa. You can free camp on the sea front or stay on the local site.

Camping Rosalada

Ctra del Pradillo km 1.3

11140 Conil de la Frontera

Cadiz.

Spain

Tel 34 956-44 33 27

Fax 34 956-44 33 85

E mail info@campingrosaleda.com

http//www.campingroselada.com

GPS N36º 17'35.86 W6º 05'44.94

Directions.

From N340 (Algeciras-Cadiz) road take C321 signed Conil de la Frontera in 2km turn right at 4th roundabout site on right 1km. There are a lot of road works in the area so these directions could be out of date.

Large site with marked pitches, some a small but there are a number of double pitches for 12 metre RV's Free WIFI might now be a charge.

The grass pitches are unreliable in the wet.

First class facilities. There were plans to meter the electricity (5&10 amp) for this coming winter.

Shop on site. Not well stocked in the winter.

Very good reductions for long stays 28 nights or over.

Excellent restaurant with a very good cheap set menu.

No dogs 15 June - 15 Sept otherwise in separate area Euro 5 per night.

English spoken at the reception, pitches are booked up years in advance for the winter Nov-April.

Conil centre is a 25 min walk. Supermarket in town. Carrefour Hypermarket in Cadiz.

Organised coach trips to Seville, Cadiz & Jerez

Enjoy your trip.

Don

Archived