gas abroad

gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

There are two systems usually fitted to MH.

1. a low pressure system using individual regulators attached directly to the top of each cylinder.

2. high pressure system using just one regulator and usually mounted on the wall of the gas locker.

If you are using system 1. when you purchase a foreign cylinder you must also a purchase the requlator for use with that cylinder, usually only available in the country of cylinder purchase.

If using system 2. a high pressure hose for the cylinder bought or intending to buy, can usually be purchased in UK, perhaps from Gaslow as previous respondee has mentioned or, in the country of cylinder purchase.

I have seen all types of bottled gas hoses and regulators (for French gas) for sale in French supermarkets. Before purchasing the Gaslow refillable system, we used the French Le Cube cylinders, these are available in just about all supermarkets and lots of small shops in villages throughout France.

Regards Terry

Hi,

I use Le Cube and when you buy one in France it will come with the regulator either free or at a discount price. If you are using the 30mb system as on the latest vans then it may be advisable to decide which system to buy into and get an adaptor in advance in U.K. However if you are using the 30mb system you can use your butane hose from your 30mb system straight onto the Butagas cylinders sold at most supermarkets.

Bill Ord

Bill Ord - 2007-11-18 10:33 AM Hi, I use Le Cube and when you buy one in France it will come with the regulator either free or at a discount price. If you are using the 30mb system as on the latest vans then it may be advisable to decide which system to buy into and get an adaptor in advance in U.K. However if you are using the 30mb system you can use your butane hose from your 30mb system straight onto the Butagas cylinders sold at most supermarkets. Bill Ord

The UK butane tail will also connect to French propane cylinders.

Derek, thank you for the summary you put together. I would appreciate any guidance you have for my particular set-up please.

I have a system comprising of (German) 30mb regulators on the end of the hose, that screw into the 2 x 6kg Calor Propane bottles. I think you call this the Old System!

I cannot justify the price of Gaslow refillable system, but wish to avoid having to modify my installation for each and every country visited if at all possible.  Trying to balance (in)convenience against cost is therefore the challenge.

Any thoughts??  Thanks in advance

Graham

Graham

You have few practical choices.  You could fit some version of a bulk tank, under which heading I would include refillables, as these remove the need for exchange cylinders.  However, as you say, the cost is high.  As you have already rejected that, you will have to perservere with exchange cylinders.  Each country has different suppliers: the only cylinder I am aware of that can be exchanged across national boundaries is Camping Gaz, which only comes in relatively small, relatively expensive, butane cylinders.  BP were supposed to be doing something with their reinforced plastics cylinders, but it seems to have run into the sand. 

Otherwise, cylinders bought in any one country can only be re-filled and exchanged in that country.  There are a few cases where cylinders can be "unoficially" filled by independents other that the original supplier, but you take a bit of a chance both with the suitability of the fill, and your agreement with the original supplier which specifically forbids filling by third parties - for purely commercial reasons.

Therefore, if you regularly visit a particular country your best bet is probably to get a cylinder there, with the appropriate fit regulator, and change that cylinder as necessary while there.  Your foreign cylinder can be paired with a UK cylinder, so that exchange is made easier whether at home or abroad.  If you don't anticipate going back, trade the cylinder back before you leave, using it for all it's worth while there, repeating as necessary as you travel around from country to country, and maintaining your UK cylinder for your final homebound supply!

For greater flexibility, if your gas locker permits, you really need 13Kg cylinders which, apart from being more economical, allow much longer intervals between changes.  One UK 13Kg and one foreign 13Kg should give you ample scope for extended touring.

We find that one 13Kg cylinder lasts better then three months of Spring/Autumn touring.  We have one UK, and one French, cylinder so that when the UK cylinder is empty the French comes into service with the English one being changed when we return home and, since most (of our) trips involve at least some time in France, changing the French one en-route is relatively easy.  If you change the empty as soon as possible after it "goes", you seldom set off with much less than two full cylinders.

Since you have a 30mb regulator on your tail, you could possibly simplify matters a bit by installing a 30mb bulkhead mounted regulator in your gas locker, so that you would only need to change the tails, rather then tail + regulator, if you had to get a different cylinder where you happened to be at the time.  However, since the 30mb direct fitting regulators are still available and are not that expensive, unless you know you'll need to buy bottles here and there as you travel, it will probably be cheaper to stay as you are, buying foreign cylinders and regulators as you go.

Hope this helps.

Brian, This does help thank you.  Looks like I'm in for a spell of "bottle juggling" for a while :-)

Approx 20 years ago, I recall it was possible to refill Calor Propane bottles at various places around Europe. Whilst commercial and Health & Safety issues are more prevalant these days, do you have any knowledge if places exist where this could be done if one so desired?

Best wishes, Graham

hapi_chappie - 2007-11-20 11:02 AM

Brian, This does help thank you.  Looks like I'm in for a spell of "bottle juggling" for a while :-)

Approx 20 years ago, I recall it was possible to refill Calor Propane bottles at various places around Europe. Whilst commercial and Health & Safety issues are more prevalant these days, do you have any knowledge if places exist where this could be done if one so desired?

Best wishes, Graham

Graham,I can give you a couple of places where you can get your calor bottles refilled on the Algarve. They will even fill part full/empty bottles.I can't help with Spain though.Don

Graham:

I'm sure Brian is right that swapping regulators will probably be the most cost-effective plan, especially as, when you obtain a 'foreign' gas-bottle, the appropriate regulator will often be provided free of charge. Such regulators are likely to be the domestic variety set at 37mbar (propane) or 28mbar (butane) rather than 30mbar: in practice, this shouldn't matter.

France is the same as the UK in that exchange-only gas bottles (whatever their national origin) can only be exchanged. As far as I'm aware this rule is adhered to strictly.

Hi Graham,

GAS BOTTLE REFILLING STATIONS ON THE ALGARVE.

Vila Real di Santo Antonio (eastern end, near the Spanish border)

Blue Elephant car wash - on the Faro road out of the town

GPL filling station is behind the car wash, they have adapters for most european gas bottles.

Access slightly restricted, long vehicles may have problems but we were OK (at 6.7m)

Boliquime.

50 metres off N125 sign clearly visible from main road.

Quelfes.

Take the N 398 (East of Olhao) signed Moncaraphacho, Faro & Espahne leave at first exit. GPL station can be clearly seen on the left as you approach the exit.

From A22 leave at exit 15. Take Quelfes turn off from N398 signed on left.

It gets a bit tight when you get a couple of large RVs filling their tanks. They also install gas tanks. They are open seven days a week.

If you have any problems finding the place the phone number is 289 704 851 Fax 289 721 246 The boss Edmundo Santos speaks very good English.

Don

Archived