Does anyone know

michele

If an Autotrail cheyenne would be whats termed fully winterised?

Would anyone know if the water would freeze . I know I asked Miami and his did but as its not close to hand (in storage) and friends dont know alot whats the chances of the boiler freezing or the tank .

Sorry in the French Alps at Christmas.

If we put anti freeze in the waste I assume this will do no damage .

Has this vehicel got an Alko chassis ?

Or a maxi chassis ?

Hello Michelle.

Fully Winterised motorhomes have a double floor and all tanks and plumbing remains within these two floors. Most UK motorhomes do not have this. Get your punkawaller to lay on his back and look at the underside, I expect he will see the tanks and lagged pipework quite clearly.

The chassis type depends on the base vehicle. If its a Merc it will be a Merc white painted chassis.

The 840 T CHEYENNE is also on the Fiat Ducato with an Alko back end.

The 600 serries Cheyene is on the original Fiat Ducato chassis.

Roll on summer!

C.

Guest JudgeMental

Simply don't know, BUT if you get underneath and have a look at tanks. if you can see 2 tanks def not fully winterised as if "fully winterised" they would be hidden within a double floor. BUT if fresh water is inside under a seat and waste underneath but has an insulating layer and external pipes insulated it is also considered sort off "winterised"

just tell your friends to leave waste open with a bucket under it. and have plenty of gas as non winterised vans take more heating *-)

What you/they really need to know is whether the fresh water tank itself, and all the pipes between fresh water tank, the water heater and taps/shower are within the insulated and heated van body. 

If the tank, or any of that pipework, is below the insulated van floor it will freeze overnight pretty well anywhere in the Alps in winter - and it won't unfreeze until you get somewhere warmer! 

No amount of insulation will prevent this: if the van is built that way either change the van, re-route all the pipes, or don't go where the cold is extreme!  The only practical alternative is to empty everything, leave all the valves open, use bottled water for drinking etc, and use only campsite facilities for everything else where water is required.

Waste pipes will almost invariably be below the floor so, as suggested, leave the drain valve open, put a bucket under it, and keep the bucket empty.

Probably silly but I have to ask anyway .

If you were only to fill the fresh water tank three quarters would that be any good so that if it were to freeze it would have room to expand ?

Or fill it right to the top hoping that they sheer volume of water would be hard for it to freeze ?.

No hubby has nothing to do with me asking he would probably laugh and call me stupid :D .

The smaller the volume of water, all other things being equal, the quicker it will freeze.  The problem is, if it does freeze, what is there to thaw it?  That is why I said it will just stay frozen until the van is moved to a warmer place.

The problem with all this is that it depends on what the weather does, and not on what we do.  Mountain weather is fickle, and many get caught out every year.  Temperatures can plunge and stay low for days.  If it is also windy, there is little that can be done to prevent exposed pipes or tanks from freezing and, once frozen, that is how they are likely to stay.

If in doubt, don't go, or keep all pipes and tanks empty.

Brian thank you I will certainly pass on the info to them .

I dont think they wont go as its all paid for now but I do think that they will make sure that they have no water in the tank .

Oh god it will be like neighbours from hell knocking for hot tea and water :D hope they dont think they are drinking mine :D

Will probably just stick to using the sites facilities ..

the weather has come early this year and they are predicting more all the time .Brilliant :D

Clive & Eddie thanks also.

27cm.jpg.b1017ff4e417a3a331abf1db3330a887.jpg

Guest Le Thou

If it's any help I have the Miami and the waste and freash tanks are open to the elements but the floor is supposed to be thick enough to be classed as winterised.

I thought you had a Bessacar car car ?

Archived