new van and sat navs

gadjo

Hi Y'all!!!

Well I've took the plunge and ordered an Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE low bed with extra leisure battery for delivery in April :-D yes it's not much like the original spec but hey ho I like it. To say I'm excited is a bit of an under statement. Thanks to you all for your advice espiecally Mel.

I'm now thinking of acesories (does it never end) one nuber 2 on me list after alarm is a sat nav system. Now I know some of you more traditionalists out there prefer to use the stars, bits of string and sea weed and such but I thought what the hell the technologies out there so might as well use it, and it will give the misuss something to by me for Christmas. The one I was thinking of getting is the Tom Tom Europe one V3 T what do we all think?? Has any one got one?? best price off amazon.

cheers

Hi there,

Looking at Tom Tom myself to replace my current Navman with something more adaptable and future proof.

I think I will go for the GO 720 or 720T though as it has a larger screen at 4.3" and is not radically dearer (available online for around £200). Tom Tom have certainly made the killer blow now against all the competition with the free online updating of maps and software, for life, this should make for the most up to date mapping available as you can update discrepancies yourself and upload them as all other users can where they will be checked and if found correct added within one month (apparently).

This has been the bugbear with my Navman in that despite the promises and the fact that I have been more than happy with its performance the aftersales service is terrible and the cost of new mapping exorbitant and after only three years of use they no longer support my unit!

So Tom Tom here I come.

Bas

I have just bought the Garmin Nuvi 660 FM as I found the Tom Tom 700 too bulky to carry about. I know the new ones are thinner but I prefer the Navteq maps which are much better than the Tom Tom ones. Some TTs allows you to pre-plan a journey on your computer and transfer it to your unit although I have never used it.

As for the speed limits on the TT they are there but are not that accurate. The TT does have the cameras but they drive you mad reminding you each time. Have found the Garmin ones more accurate. and less intrusive. The one main advantage on the Nuvi is the navigation instructions include the road names.

The 660FM version means that you can direct the sound through the radio on the van which is useful as MH's are more noisy than cars. There is also a vehicle choice which is important with a big MH although I am not convinced this works very well. Still takes you down narrow roads

Having said all that I don't think that there is much to choose between any of them and you still have to take care where you are going. We live in a closed village and the number of idiots who come through it with caravans and MH's has to be seen to be believed. There are signs everywhere but they follow the satnav. We no longer help them to turn round!!!

Archived