WW1 battlefields

Roamer

We are planning a trip to the Flanders WW1 battlefields for late spring/early summer next year. If anyone has been and could pass on any information regarding campsites, "aires", use of cycles, ease of access with a 23ft motorhome etc. we would be most grateful.

Can't give you much advice other than to take tissues and I really don't mean to be flippant by that.

Very, very moving, to say the least.

Ypres is lovely and provides a good base.

We stayed on a site on the Mont de Chat (?) and there were cyclists everywhere.

Last April Kompas Camping Oudenaarde was pricey I thought (30€ for camper and 1 person per night with electricity) www.kompascamping.be

and in Ypres Camping Jeugdstadion I paid 22.50€ but cant remember if that was for 1 night or all 3.

:-S

www.jeugdstadion.be

Hi Roamer,

We stayed at a nice little small holding CL in Geluveld very near Ypres at GPS 50.84583°N 2.96778°E.

The owner works away from his home during the day, so park yourselves up and he will call sometime after 5pm for his 4 euro inclusive site fee. There is some hardstanding, but the grass area is very firm too.

If you walk along the hedgerows - don't kick any lumps of metal you may find, they will likely be an unexploded 18 pounders. He dragged a few out to show us and then threw them back into the hedgerow!

Regards Terry

Regards Terry

I would very strongly recommend a visit to the war graves cemetary at Etaples. It is right next door to the Municipal Camping on the sea side of the road from Boulogne to Etaples (just before you reach Etaples) and is the biggest such cemetary in France with a magnificent Lutyens monument.

It is the biggest because the wounded were evacuated to the field hospitals in the sand dunes behind Etaples and this is where those who failed to make it were buried. It is mostly WW1 with a scattering of WW2 and also has a small number of German graves, as well as under 18s, at least one VC, and many MCs. Because most came from the hospitals, far more of the graves than usual have the full name, age, rank and regimental details - in many other cemetaries you simply get 'A soldier of the Great War'.

Mel E

====

The Vimy Ridge Memorial has extensive parking suitable for motorhomes. Not for overnighting though.

Menim Gate has a Last Post ceremony every evening.

All of the memorials are a moving experience and have a tale to tell. It is worth doing a bid of reading before you go and if possible take books with you to find out what really happened.

The ones I have visited have always had a book listing all of the names and backgrounds of the fallen. It is usually kept in an unlocked stone "cupboard" with a bronze engraved door.

On some of the backroads you find all sorts of metal remains piled up by the local farmers. It's collected up and safely disposed of once or twice a year.

I fully agree with JohnP, there's so much to see, some background reading is essential if only to make sure you visit the sites you want to and don't simply miss one you want to see because its off the beaten track. Access to most of the larger sites is good enough for coaches, there's lots of them around at busy times so some can get congested.

Whereas many sites simply have troops who fell close by, Etaples has many sections to it, different nationalities, different religions, front line troops and many support sections and is a stunning example of how the Empire responded in the first world war. There are cooks, engineers, transport staff, laundry staff. There's also a number who died after the armistice, from their wounds and from disease.

Ypres, the Menin Gate at Sunset, and the surrounding area, Vimy Ridge, Beaumont Hamel and Etaples. plus its worth looking at on or two of the tiny sites located in many of the villages. But its all just so sad and the waste of a generation of young men. The closing scenes of Blackadder when they eventually go over the top always bring a lump to my throat, cos I can always see the thousands of white headstones in some of the sites.

Apart from our visit to Ypres, we usually just detoured and visited a few places on our way to or from our wider travels, and were usually stopping at municipals but not always close.

Hope the above helps

alan

Last summer we stayed at the campsite in Ieper and paid 10.50 euros a night, we booked on a Salient Tour trip - it was a bit pricey but well worth the money - our guide Chris was a mine of information and we thoroughly enjoyed (not quite the right word) the experience.

Yes take plenty of tissues believe me you will need them, and you must be at the Menin gate at 8pm any night for a moving last post by the local fire brigade.

From there we travelled to Bastogne and stayed in a campsite just on the outskirts - we visited the museums and the memorial.

A few days later and we were in Verdun, another must - campsite in town there too. The battlefields and the Ossuary and the Forts and the various visitor centres and the 'destroyed villages' are all well worth a visit, and the citadel in Verdun itself.

We have just got back (yesterday) from a trip to the Somme where Charles put a poppy cross on the plaque at Poziers British Memorial where his grandfathers name is engraved - missing in action. His body was never found. We also visited the Thiepval Memorial which is just a couple of miles up the road and there is a visitors centre there too.

After a day and night in Brugge we went again to Iepe, this time wild camping in the car park of the sports stadium as the camp site shut last Monday we visited more cemeteries and Tyn Cot again the visitor centre there was opened in July 07. And again went to the Menin Gate for the Last Post at 8pm on Sunday evening - there must have been over 200 people there and it was bitterly cold.

Yes, do your homework before you go, there is so much to see, take your bikes and explore that way.

Ieper campsite is fine for a 23' motorhome as is Bastogne and Verdun, we stopped at an aire at Doullens on Friday night after the day on the Somme its about 25 miles north east of Albert.

If you need any more information send me a pm, will post some pics on the chatterbox forum later with a short description of our latest trip.

regards

Carol

My home town of Sittingbourne is twinned with Ypres (or Ieper in Flemish) and as I'm the Chairman of our Committee we're frequent visitors. You must visit Tyne Cot and Sanctuary Wood but for a contrast, don't miss the big German cemetery at Langemarck - very eerie! On the way you pass the impressive Canadian memorial at St Julian with the brooding soldier. But the lanes are a bit narrow and if you have bikes I would recommend you use them - the terrain is very flat! In town, the Menin Gate is a must (the Fire Brigade buglers sound the Last Post at 8pm every evening) and the Cathedral is quite something. Difficult to believe it was completely ruined in 1915 and rebuilt after the war. Look out for the RAF insignia in the Rose Window. Plenty of eating places in the Grand Place but our favourite is the Old Tom - chips to die for!

Have a great time.

Mel E - 2007-11-20 9:50 AM

I would very strongly recommend a visit to the war graves cemetary at Etaples. It is right next door to the Municipal Camping on the sea side of the road from Boulogne to Etaples (just before you reach Etaples) and is the biggest such cemetary in France with a magnificent Lutyens monument.

It is the biggest because the wounded were evacuated to the field hospitals in the sand dunes behind Etaples and this is where those who failed to make it were buried. It is mostly WW1 with a scattering of WW2 and also has a small number of German graves, as well as under 18s, at least one VC, and many MCs. Because most came from the hospitals, far more of the graves than usual have the full name, age, rank and regimental details - in many other cemetaries you simply get 'A soldier of the Great War'.

Mel E

And please dont forget to sign the book apparently they get paid per the amount of visitors to look after the graves and allocation is made .

You will find the book in the wall arch monument on your way in .

====

it is very easy to walk the battlefields, more so the Somme than the Salient. Two books that are a must if you decide to walk, both by Paul Reed, who is a battlefield guide.

They are "Walking the Somme" and "Walking the Salient"

To get a real feel for the battlefields, walking is a must

regards

Geoff

Michelle , I agree, please sign the books. Notice is taken of the number of visitors, and a couple of years ago there were rumours that the Government was thinking of cutting back on the CWGC budget.

A new headstone costs in the region of £1000, and that plus the gardeners wages, is a large bill.

And it does not matter when you visit a cemetery, even the most isolated, they are always immaculate

regards

Geoff

Archived