Porta Potti in '89 Autohomes Travelhome

Archie

I wonder if anyone can help. my wife and I have just purchased our 1st motorhome, a 1989 Autohomes Travelhome MK V. It's a lovely van and in excellent original condition. The only problem we've encountered so far is with the portapotti. It has a knob on the left hand side which opens the flushing blade, on the right is a hand operated twist pump for the flush, the problem is we can't get it to flush, when we twist nothing comes out.

Guest Tracker

At the risk of sounding equally daft - is there any water in the flush water holding tank as it probably is not fed from the main water tank?

At the risk of sounding even dafter - have you asked the people you bought it from how it works - and why it don't?

Tracker - 2007-11-20 3:53 PM

At the risk of sounding equally daft - is there any water in the flush water holding tank as it probably is not fed from the main water tank?

At the risk of sounding even dafter - have you asked the people you bought it from how it works - and why it don't?

spot on Rich - with the lack of water option - good old porta potti's are designed to be simple

that's probably why it's appropriate for me :D :D

except when the batterys were flat :$ :$ :$

• 2 weeks later...
(lol) Thanks for replying, I've been in touch with the previous owner and he told me that it worked, all the relevant water chambers are full and no it's not an electric flush. On the underside of the toilet lid are iinstructions which state the knob on the left should be twisted and the central button pressed, this is a one movement action that will both flush and rinse. They also state that the knob on the right is a removable toilet roll holder. However, the knob on the right has a small bladder valve underneath and is designed to draw water from the flush tank. We are planning to do some 'wild' camping in the north of Scotland next year, but with no 'dunny, my wife won't consider it. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!

Guest Tracker

It's a lot of years since I had one of these but as I recall it there was nothing under the toilet roll holder except access to the inside of the flush water holding tank?

If you take the holder out be sure not to damage the thin rubber gasket or you will get a wet floor when the water slurps around!

The holder will only take a 'Thetford' type toilet roll as I recall and most of us use bog standard domestic BP (Bum Paper!) as it is considerably cheaper thus rendering said holder useless!

I think that turning the knob opens the blade and pressing it flushes and again, from memory - and I stand open to correction here - I seem to recall that they were all electric 12v operation?

If it were a manual flush - as in the old two part potties - you would need to pump the bellows up and down to get a water flow?

In which case it sounds like you may have a 12v fault somewhere - either with the motor, one of it's connections or (if you are very lucky) a fuse?

I suppose your internal 12v electrics work OK? Pump, lights etc? If not the problem may not lie with the loo but with the leisure battery or it's fuses?

Again very popular basic system and any decent auto or caravan electrician should be able to sort it for you.

These loos are very widely used and any caravan, or maybe even boat, workshop should be able to sort it for you if you are stumped.

Archived