Dometic Recall

JohnP

The Fridge freezer in my Rapido is affected by the recall and I was told that Dometic were trying to get more agents in my area, north Oxfordshire and would call me back. That was over a week ago, I haven't heard yet. The call centre seemed to be in central Europe by the accent of the person I spoke to. It's not really good enough to say don't use the fridge on gas! My fridge spends very little time on 230 volt as I spend little time in U.K. and even less time on camp-sites. It would mean that my van was out of use till the modification was carried out so I'll be chasing it along. I doubt that Dometic will want to compensate me for loss of use.

Bill Ord

My Knaus happens to be in with the supplying dealer for a few minor items including the travel lock on the fridge door. The lock mechanism is OK, its the door that needs replacing. The recall item is being fixed at the same time. A happy coincidence as I was not contacted either directly by the dealer or Dometic. Shows the value of the forum.

I have not heard from anybody re this recall. Had I not seen it on here and looked on Dometic website, I would be blissfully unaware of a potential bomb on board.

I have just phoned the freephone no. and got a recorded message to say they are "open" from 7am to 4pm weekdays, not as they show on their website.

Will ring them manana.

stuart

I recently spoke to a motorhome-dealer acquaintance about this. He was unaware of the latest Dometic recall, though he did know about the earlier one affecting certain Tec-Tower combination fridge/freezer/oven models.

The likelihood is that a similar recall policy will be adopted to that employed by Truma for their C-Series heaters, with Dometic contacting motorhome manufacturers, who will contact dealerships, who will contact customers, plus notices in motorhome magazines. Experience of the Truma recall suggests that owners of self-imported motorhomes may well not be notified directly and will need to be pro-active over getting the necessary modifications made.

I have now had the mod carried out. It involved fitting two pipe supports behind the unit, two holes, two pop rivets and hey presto.

I phoned a number given by Dometic which happened to be my nearest dealer. "We didn't supply it so we can't do it" so I spoke to the supplying dealer and that was it. Only about five minutes to do it.

The engineer told me how many thousand there were to do across Europe!!

Stuart

I didn't get a recall letter (maybe didn't wait long enough!) but I phoned the Dometic help line last week. They confirmed that my serial number was in the potentially afected batch and advised me to call my nearest Dometic technical engineer (Turriff Caravans). I phoned and made an appointment to take the van in today. Job done in less than 5 minutes and I even got a bit of paper to confirm that the relevant modification had been made.

• 2 weeks later...

As you may know from another thread I'm having an ongoing battle with Dometic. But as a result they did get my recall work done for me yesterday so I'm in a good position to comment.

The engineer came to my home in Essex to do it. I had offered to take it to my local Dometic agent but was told that they "aren't equipped to deal with it"

The work consists of checking a screw to see if it's the "dodgy" type (mine wasn't) and fitting 2 extra brackets which are pop rivetted to the back of the fridge. Total job time was around 10 minutes. In fact the paperwork was the most time consuming part.

The engineer told me that Dometic pay him £10.80 per job which, he thinks, is the reason that most dealers are "not equippped to do it" They just aren't interested in a 10 quid job.

Just had my fridge done. Two brackets,two pop rivets all done in 5 minutes by Heather Caravans from Swindon 01793 522545 / Mobile 07977486471

If I had driven the 20 miles to their depot it would have been free ( they get £5.75 per fridge !!) So avoiding the Christmas traffic mayhem cost £38 plus VAT call out ! So much for the FREE recall assured by the Dometic helpline !

Ian

Archived