Fiat Vehicle Battery

starvin marvin

I've just come back from a four week break (without the van) to find a flat battery although I left the vehicle on hook up. The vehicle is an 2003 IH Savannah Tio 2.8JTD.

Probably the immobilser/alarm etc have drained the battery, although its possible that the battery is ready for renewal, being four years old. This has never happened to me before on my previous van, being on hook up always kept the vehicle battery charged.

Two questions:-

How can I stop this happening again?

Getting at the +ve terminal to remove the battery for a recharge looks extremely difficult. Are there any tips for removing the battery? or do I just need another elbow!

Thanks

Did you make sure that the Control Panel was set to charge the Starter Battery instead of the Leisure Battery?

On my Fiat Swift when on hook up I can only charge one of the batteries depending which position the Control Switch is set to.

When driving the van both batteries charge irrespective of switch setting.

Phil.

Whether or not the vehicle-battery will be able to receive charge when a motorhome is on 230V hook-up will depend on the particular electrical system that the motorhome converter has chosen to install.

Assuming it's not simply a matter of setting a switch to a certain position, and that your electrical system is functioning correctly, then the easiest way to overcome this problem is to fit a device like the "Battery Master". The following link should be helpful:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4233&posts=19

Personally, I'd charge your flat battery in situ if that's at all possible. (Yes, I know it might not be ideal practice, but I'd still do it that way!)

Archived