Hymer B584 Door mirror vibration

Neil Ward

Road tested a 2003 B584 at Brownhills and experienced a lot of vibration in the door mirrors.The salesman said that he had driven several and found the same problem but that it got better when the water tank was full.Is this a built in problem with the chassis or is there a mechanical fault.

Need a answer ASAP as travelling up on Tues 27th.Thanks for any help.

Hi

We used to have a Hymer B634, 2003 model, but never had that problem with it, with full or empty water tank. Mind you, we never drive with a full tank anyway, sometimes up to half a tank at the most.

We now have a Hymer B584, 2006 model, and again, no problem with vibrating door mirrors.

Seems a bit strange that the salesman said that he experienced several like that, first time I've heard of anything like that.

Perhaps it was because the van would have been totally empty when you test-drove it, but perhaps I'm way off the mark with that.

Can't give any suggestions I'm afraid, maybe others can.

Ina.

Guest Tracker

No experience of this myself but, grasping at straws, maybe water has entered the retaining springs and mechanism and it might need lubricating / cleaning / or even adjusting - if it can be?

Can you get it apart or see inside the gubbins as to how it works?

Can we assume that the mounting bolts are all tight?

No doubt someone will know - hope they see this in time!

The door mirrors should not vibrate while travelling, regardless of the fill state of the motorhome or the water tanks therein. If a mirror vibrates to the point where it is unusable then it would render the vehicle unsafe to drive as you would not have proper rearwards vision.

If you're seriously interested in the 'van then tell the salesman he has to fix this problem before the sale can go through or you walk. simple as that really.

D.

Neil Ward - 2007-11-24 3:43 PM Road tested a 2003 B584 at Brownhills and experienced a lot of vibration in the door mirrors.The salesman said that he had driven several and found the same problem but that it got better when the water tank was full.Is this a built in problem with the chassis or is there a mechanical fault. Need a answer ASAP as travelling up on Tues 27th.Thanks for any help.

Hi Neil

We used to have a Hymer B584, and can confirm that there was no serious wing mirror vibration, whether we were fully loaded or not.

We have never traveled with a full water tank anyway, always prefer to have enough for making drinks & for the toilet facility.Then fill up when we arrive on site.

Just make sure of the mirrors, check the retaining screws and also the join at the body.

I think the excuse being given is a person clutching at straws, don't go for it unless your are totally happy with the vehicle. If there is another 584 on site, then take this out for a test drive.The 584 was/is a popular model, so maybe look around at other dealers & test drive these to get another view on the mirror situation.

Thai

• 6 years later...

Hymer B524, 2004 - Our nearside wing was always a bit wobbley. A recent mirror v mirror accident made this worst and showed us why. The mirror fixture was wrenched away from the van-panal by a few millimetres the fixture screws partially stripped of the threads. Thereafter, the mirror folded in on the movable hinge and no damage was done to the mirror fixture itself, but the 'degree of wobble was massively increased.

Remove the mirror and tighten the screws is the obvious solution but the mirror is so tightly fitted to the fixture that it won't move.

We were in Germany and went to two different Hymer dealers. They both said a special glue was made by Hymer which takes 12 hours to set. So the tight fit problem is well known and bypassed by gluing. This is a 2 day job and we decided to 'chock and tape' the mirror and do it back in the UK.

Now back in the UK we have a quote from a Hymer dealer stating it will take 1 hour, £70 - £30 parts and £40 labour.

I'm confused - any comments

Archived