Letting off steam....

Mr. Grumpy

This maybe a cautionary tale to some but old hat to others. For various reasons I recently decided to have a combination tow bar cum under-run bar fitted to my Burstner t-615. Having been recommended to a company in Knottingly I checked out their web site and all seemed to be OK. They had a reputation for providing a good product at a reasonable price so I telephoned to discuss my requirements.

“I want a tow bar fitted to my motorhome.” I said. “No problem, they usually cost between £300 & £400 fitted and it will take one day to complete the job.”

“I have a Burstner t-615.” I said. “No problem, we have done plenty of Burstners, bring it over and we’ll sort it out.”

“I need a cycle rack fitted, I’ll bring the mount over with me.” “No problem, we’ll book you in.”

“Do you need to have the van in to make a template or anything else?” “Nope just bring it over and we’ll handle everything.”

Comes the dawn and I leave home at 6:00am for the 80 mile drive arriving at 8:00am.

“Morning sir, we’ll let the engineer have a look and then we’ll get on with it.”

The engineer crawls underneath, looks at the chassis and the fittings, “No problem sir, leave it with us and we’ll phone when it’s ready!”

Fifteen minutes later my phone rings, “Hello sir, we have a bit of a problem. We can’t get the mounting bolts in because the water tank is in the way.”

“Does a bit of a problem mean that you can’t fir the tow bar?” I say.

“Er, yes.”

Return to factory, collect van, drive home.

Cost: one day off work, a mounting bracket I can’t use and a waste of 8 gallons of very expensive diesel.

What more could I have done to check things out? Suggestions on the back of a £10 note please.

And people wonder why I’m called Mr. Grumpy.

Not siding with tow bar fitter, but they may not have seen anougher with tank behind axle, seems odd place to put it unless there's not room between axles, if no one else can fit tow bar maybe good idea to look at moving tank if poss. might help balence of van and counteract weight of fitting tow bar, so making a nicer drive ?

I have been in the tow bar fitter's position myself before now and while it is very unfortunate it just cannot be helped sometimes. Give them a break, at least they told you as quickly as they could.

Here's a little story of the flip side of this coin. I once got sent down to Stratford in East London to install a Sat Nav system in a solicitor's car. When I got there the solicitor was in court so I had to wait. When I finally met up with him and asked where the car was, expecting him to say in the courts car park nice and safe, instead he sends me over to the multi storey car park in the centre of Stratford. No way was I going to do the job there, I'd have no tools left within half an hour, and I told him so. So I had to come all the way back without even opening my toolbox. A complete waste of a day! But wouldn't you expect a professional person like a solicitor to be a bit wiser than expect me to install £1500 worth of equipment in a multi storey car park?

D.

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2007-11-25 10:42 AM

Dave,

If you were installing £1500 worth of equipment in a Stratford car park, you would probably have been arrested for nicking it with no one listening to you protesting your innocence knowing the Met Police!!

Bas

But all the police are in central London sitting around in vans waiting for terrorist attacks....

whilst in London generally we all live in fear of crime, as day by day it becomes more like the wild west *-)

My waste water tank is fitted rearwards of the back axle and has the chassis extensions running either side. My tow bar was bolted horizontally to the chassis members and also used one of the spring fixings either side to provide vertical support. When I bought a motorcycle rack 4 years ago I removed the towbar and fitted the rack using most of the existing holes. I had to drill one extra hole each side in the chassis members to provide extra support. I have used the rack with a motorcycle, or currently a scooter, for 40,000 miles with no problems.

It might be worth trying another towbar fitter as your layout sounds similar to mine.

Phil.

Archived