Snow Chain requirement in Europe

Don Madge

f you are venturing abroad this winter for the first time be aware that snow chains are required in some areas of certain countries when snow is laying/falling.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/winter-tyres-and-snow-chains.pdf

The list does not cover all of Europe and is for vehicles up to 3500kg.

In Greece if there is laying snow chains should be used, roads that it applies to are usually signed.

In Spain chains are also required in certain areas. Once again I believe the roads are signed.

In Germany if you have "Inappropriate Tyres Fitted" in snow/icy conditions you are liable for a fine. I believe the more chaos you cause the larger the fine.

In Austria vehicles over 3500kgs must be fitted with winter tyres I can't find out if this applies to all vehicles or just goods vehicles and coaches.

For those not familiar with the Snow Chain sign it looks something like this.

We always carry chains on our winter travels but due to age and disability I can't fit them. Instead we use "Snow Curtains" we park up, pull the curtains and wait till the roads are cleared.

Safe travelling.

Don

116341254_Snowchainsign.gif.ad1b092260ad98cece07986349def2ee.gif

Does anyone know whether the authorities mentioned define what a set of "snow chains" comprises in order to comply with their laws? Would a set that's OK in France be equally acceptable in Germany, Greece etc.?

For example, would "go-claws" do or is it something else? Also do they require "chains" to be fitted on just the driven wheels or all 4, (6 if say, a tag-axled type)?

Bob

Brian Kirby - 2007-11-26 8:57 PM

For the details, I would suggest contacting the national tourist offices of countries you intend visiting, and asking for any advice they can give on winter driving requirements.  If they are wooly, try the embassies instead, and tell 'em their tourist office is useless - nicely, of course!

I'm disappointed Brian, I expected a sagely response, providing a key facts guide to all things snow-chain across the relevant countries to trip off your/Mel's keyboards! OK I'll have to do it the hard way! :-)

Bob

Guest JudgeMental

my dealer recommended "spike spiders" for my Ford based EuraMobil. as tyres to wide for chains. when I asked him if they where legal in the Alps etc he said to contact Ford...

I was under the impression that "go claws" if they fail can do as much damage as chains to FWD vehicles

Thanks Judge I'll look at those and I'll ask Renault about what to fit to a Master FWD auto, I gues they should know!. having seen the recent article on Go-Claws I wasn't enthusiastic about their likely capabilities on snow. I live on a 1 in 8 hill so this subject gains prominence on my agenda at this time of year.

Bob

Don, for vehicles upto 3500kg you say - any idea what happens above that limit? 

I laughed at the "Snow Curtains" comment - in theory it presumably doesn't overcome the requirement to carry chains, but in practise are there road-side checks, or do the authorities only "police" this once one is stuck?

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi Graham,

I can't find any info on vehicles over 3500kg except goods vehicles and that varies from country to country.

I've been driving on the continent as a tourist for 38 years and have never been checked to see whether we had chains or not.

I've driven in Greece and Spain on snow bound roads but the police were nowhere to be seen.

Don

So the reason(s) I'd buy Snow Chains for a trip to the French Alps is because a) It's officially recommended  b) that some roads may have signs on them (does that make it compulsary?)  or c) because it will help me avoid getting stuck d) other?

Your experience/opinion appreciated as always

Graham

hapi_chappie - 2007-11-29 5:24 PM

So the reason(s) I'd buy Snow Chains for a trip to the French Alps is because a) It's officially recommended  b) that some roads may have signs on them (does that make it compulsary?)  or c) because it will help me avoid getting stuck d) other?

Your experience/opinion appreciated as always

Graham

Graham,If you plan to visit the French Alps in winter I would say the chains are a must. If the road displays the snow chain sign you could be in trouble if you get stuck on that road with no chains and block the road.Don

OK, thank you Don....

I have bought some, but despite being the "right" size for my tyres, they do not fit properly.  Luckily the supplier agrees and is arranging collection and a full refund.

Does anyone have experience of Snow Chains that are suitable for MH's?  I have a new model X/250 160, with the 4T chassis upgrade and 225x75x17 wheels.. Thanks

I'm heading for south portugal before xmas and staying there till Feb,'' via Bilbao,'' this is my first trip are you saying I need chains for this trip. OH, returning through Spain & France hoping the weathers improved, (!) :-S B-) ;-)

Archived