holiday in France, advice please

Carole

We are planning to take our motorhome to France next year, which will be our first venture abroad. We are a bit nervous about the driving, so although we would like to go far south enough to get some warmer weather, we don't want to spend all our time driving. Can anyone recommend an area or campsite which would be relatively straightforward to drive to and which would give us some good scenery and walks? I wondered if Nantes would fit the bill? (We like the coast best). Also, if it was near some public transport links so we didn't have to drive each day, so much the better! Someone suggested that we sail from Portsmouth to St Malo, so as to minimise the driving? (We live on the Kent/London borders).

Oh Carole [ :D :D to quote Neil Sedaka :D ]

You know I really envy you, you are about to embark on a terrific adventure - which may sound terrifying - but is actually SO easy and worthwhile and fun

you just wouldn't believe it.

Driving in France is much easier than in the UK - just make sure the driver keeps next to the kerb and take your time - don't try and break any speed records - your holiday starts HERE!

To break in gently - go to Brittany - yes it's full of Brits [unfortunately] but it's still one of our favourite destinations.

Remember - you can stay as long or as short a time as you want - travel as far as you feel like in a day [we once went all of 10 miles one day!],

find somewhere you like stay as long as you like and then move on.

If you sail from Portsmouth you are 'there' much quicker, or you could try Newhaven - Dieppe - as a compromise - saves driving down the autoroute from Calais - not a problem but unlikely to be the highlight of your trip - [although people will leap in and tell you there's lots to see around there]

The Loire Valley is lovely - but if you prefer the coast then go there - anywhere along the Brittany Coast is good - but perhaps check out Morbihan area.

You will no doubt get loads of recommends for particular sites - or Aires [check out search facilities for 'Aires'] or France Passion [likewise] but bear in mind that the beauty of the motorhome is that it's so easy to get up and move on.

What time of year are you thinking of going?

What do you like doing?

You could spend a long time just exploring the Normandy 'Beaches' Area!

I would pretty much guarantee that in a very short time you will feel completely comfortable and ready to go.

there is a list of things that you should be sure to take with you - but we'll cover that in due course :D

B-)

I wouldn't worry to much about driving any distance in france, the hardest bit will be the first few miles, once on the open road it should be a lot easier. Best just to pick a area you think you will like and go for it, but if it makes you less worried then St. Malo and into Britany keeps milage down.

A excellent lot of advice of Twooks, agree with it all. Are you planning to take cycles with you a excellent way of seeing the country side without having to move your van as much ( if you are would recomend Ille- de -re just off La Rochelle. Enjoy your motorhome a wonderful way of life. Carol.

Carole - 2007-11-25 7:26 PM

We are planning to take our motorhome to France next year, which will be our first venture abroad. We are a bit nervous about the driving, so although we would like to go far south enough to get some warmer weather, we don't want to spend all our time driving. Can anyone recommend an area or campsite which would be relatively straightforward to drive to and which would give us some good scenery and walks? I wondered if Nantes would fit the bill? (We like the coast best). Also, if it was near some public transport links so we didn't have to drive each day, so much the better! Someone suggested that we sail from Portsmouth to St Malo, so as to minimise the driving? (We live on the Kent/London borders).

Plenty of good advice on here already but I would reassure you about the driving. Just take your time - keep to the inside lane for a while and just follow everyone else.

Outside of towns the traffic is much lighter than in UK. You give way to traffic from the left at roundabouts - if there is any traffic.

As far as weather is concerned we have always thought of a line running east through France from Bordeaux as being the change from UK climate to Mediterranean climate.

The Vendee region usually has good weather if you do want to go further south than Brittany.

( We've been going to France for many years but I haven't seen Brittany yet).

The Caravan Club have a good campsite book, with members comments about the sites and I would also recommend Alan Rogers sites books which I have always found describe sites accurately.

Once you have been I'm sure you will go again and eventully be touring Europe !

Good luck.

Aren't they a helpful and encouraging bunch on here Carole? With 30yrs of French camping & motorhoming under my belt, I don't think there's anything in the above posts I'd disagree with. Jackie's ("Twooks") is specially full and helpful.

There's still so much of France we've not seen - you wouldn't believe how BIG the place is! The Vendee coast around La Rochelle has been mentioned, as has the Loire valley. If you're interested in wildlife try a Google on "Parc Naturel" - there are lots of enormous wildlife reserves of all varieties, especially marshlands ("marais").

The driving really IS that easy - for me, it's always a culture shock coming back to our crowded (and ruthless) motorways & A-roads. Only use the French motorways if you're really in a hurry to get to a particular area, their "N" roads (equiv to our "A's") are quiet, straight and fast. Watch the speed limits though, the French really mean them nowadays (it wasn't always so).

Driving on the right soon becomes second nature, but if you stop for a break make sure you find somewhere on the right. If you cross over to the left, it's all too easy to emerge on the wrong side without thinking - I've done it myself, even quite recently!

If you're doing an all-day drive, stop at a village cafe for an Espresso ("petit cafe noir" or just "cafe") mid-afternoon - it'll keep the driver awake for the last part of the day, as well as being a chance to chat with the locals who prop up the bar.

I don't know how your French is, but however little you think you know, USE IT - if they see you're making an effort, most French people will meet you more than halfway and admit they speak some English. If you stick to loud English they'll probably deny all knowledge! You'll be made welcome almost everywhere, if you show some interest in the place and its people. DON'T ask "Where's the nearest McDonalds?" DO ask "Where's a good place to eat, and what would you recommend?"

We did a day-trip yesterday (in the CAR - sob-sob, see below), just to Calais and Le Touquet, and loved the country and people as much as ever.

No doubt you'll get loads more general advice on here in the meantime, and people will rush to answer your specific questions too. Enjoy the planning as much as the trip, but don't get tied down too firmly (shut up, Janine!) as half the fun is suddenly seeing a signpost and deciding to follow it!

Enjoy yourself, that's what France is FOR.

Tony

:$ :$ :$

I usually distinguish myself when we get back here - anything up to a fortnight after we've come back I'm quite capable of ending up on the wrong side of the road after pulling out from a stop

:$ :$ :$ :$ :$

ps driving on and off the ferries is straightforward - just follow their instructions -

I won't discuss Brittany as I'm a tad biased!

Be careful about Nantes as its a very large industrial city which does have the virtue of being on the Loire.

La Rochelle has been mentioned which does have a good micro-climate putting it second to Provence.

For me personally the hinterland is too flat and uninteresting.

Whatever you chose I'm sure you will have a great time.

Guest Le Thou
It had to come.....micro climate, not criticising or anything personel, we have a farmhouse in the South Loire and the amount of times we have heard about this micro climate, you really need to go a lot further south to get the benefits of the micro climate, La Rochelle suffers from cold winds from the Atlantic , we are about 50 miles inland, to benefit from the "so called" micro climate you need to be North Dordoigne, perhaps near to Mont Bron, there or thereabouts, but it's so strange that most people south of Nantes lay claim to the micro climate

Well we have been travelling France and Europe for several years now. France is without doubt my favourite country in terms of both its people and it's land. asothers have said France is big very BIG and there will be many diverse replies to your question. We like to explore France and rarely use toll roads. Although this increases journey time you get to explore more rural France.

As to what you want from your hoilday will depend on where you choose to go. If you want Good weather and beach then no doubt you will want to travel down to the south. We often visit the south west corner for some surfing around Biaritz. A couple of days driving (using mways) but then really nice. I personaly would not entertain the Vendee, just not my cup of tea and to many brits and doesn't really give me the feel of france that we like.

There are so many other areas available to you so I would perhaps come back with a list of options that you want from your holiday. Having that would help people to give you some suggestions.

I cant understand why if you live in Kent that you would want to drive to Portsmouth. With dover on your doorstep a trip in to calais will open up europe to whereever you want to go. Don't worry about driving on the right, even my wife has a drive when we are going through France. And trust me if she can do it any one can.

what ever you decide, enjoy it.

panagah - 2007-11-26 6:49 PM

Don't worry about driving on the right, even my wife has a drive when we are going through France. And trust me if she can do it any one can.

EVEN my wife .. .. ..

fighting talk is that Paul >:-) >:-) >:-)

B-)

twooks - 2007-11-26 7:39 PM

Don't worry about driving on the right, even my wife has a drive when we are going through France. And trust me if she can do it any one can.

EVEN my wife .. .. ..

B-)

not fighting talk, just fact, men make better motohome drivers than women. *-) (lol) 8o| >:-) Hold on whilst I duck. >:-(

hi , we have just done a nice round trip to italy, it was our first time abroad too and we where also very nervous about the roads, but all i can say is that we really where worried about nothing, the roads and drive its self was an absolute doddle!! italian drivers on the otherhand are complete nutters!! switzerland was beautiful and the roads where relatively traffic free. i can honestly say that after italy, i was actually looking forward to seeing france again, something i thought id never hear myself say. the country really is as motorhome friendly as it is possible to be, most people speak english in the services and tolls etc and there is no shortage of motorhome friendly and safe places to stay!!

all in all you have nothing to worry about, just get yourself off and have a great time!!!

panagah - 2007-11-27 8:54 AM

twooks - 2007-11-26 7:39 PM

EVEN my wife .. .. ..

B-)

not fighting talk, just fact, men make better motohome drivers than women. *-) (lol) 8o| >:-) Hold on whilst I duck. >:-(

such a sad disillusioned person - perhaps more to be pitied than scorned - whaddya think girls :-> :-> :-> :-> :->

does your wife log in to this forum (?) (?) (?)

B-)

Nah, just let him keep thinking that men are superior in this task. But ask yourself ... who's relaxing and looking at the scenery, and who's 'working'? :-D

Forgot to say - Judge, you're missing a trick with France ... they have WONDERFUL CAKES and I know how much his Lordship enjoys his!!! ;-)

:-D We always enjoy our trips thru France, we dont put alot of effort into making a route planner, as we find we never stick to it, sometimes we hurry on down Motorway to get to say Italy or Spain, others we just drift along secondry roads (excellent) enjoying various villages & sites. As already stated the roads are v.good and quiet compared to UK. WHAT realy annoys me, is the remark 'we should try and learn a little French, as the French like it', well why dont they learn more English, living near Edinburgh I am amazed at how bad French people are at speaking English, We never hear the Spanish and Italians would appreciate it! and I find them much more friendly. Have a great holiday .

like you judgemental I can never understand the hype about France, Scotland can offer you all the same, plenty of history and historical buildings, greenery, mountains, lakes and of course WHISKY, and a great welcome from our own native tongue, therefore no need for any lessons.

Hello Carole. As we seem to be near neighbours, I have a curiosity as to the rationale for taking your first French motorhome trip from Portsmouth.

My choice will almost always be to head for Dover. It is an easy journey of about an hour and a half on M20 from London border. Gives time to settle into the "travelling mode" with the vehicle. And you hardly ever have to wait long for a ferry. They are like buses, miss one and another will be along soon. I am talking about London buses of course.

And when arriving in France, go for the motorways as soon as possible I would suggest.

That is so you can gain experience and confidence in a relatively safer traffic situation, where all vehicles are travelling in the same direction (most of the time, but watch out for wayward Brits whe forget.).

That enables you to work out distances and use mirrors in making manouvres from lane to lane.

As progress will be unhindered by junctions and traffic lights, you can more easily adapt to the continental style of driving, and make observations in preparedness for leaving the motorways system and driving more suitably for the byways and other small roads in France.

But do, please go, as I reckon France has one of the best countries roads systems and understanding populations for visitors than most.

And try to speak French. It goes a long way to making the pleasure more enjoyable. (lol)

I would normally advise anyone to drive over there rather than here, we do Hull <> Zeebrugge for France, distance isn't much different than Portsmouth <> Caen - and a lot shorter than going to Dover.

The ferry trip is all part of the jollie for us.

I would suggest that the downside for you of Dover is that you are coming off the ferry in a busier area than if you went to Normandy, and have the joys of the Peage to boot!

That's why I suggested Newhaven <> Dieppe as a compromise,

http://www.transmanche.ferries.org/?gclid=CN7N_JSr_Y8CFQgsQwodPCqNKg

once you've been and done it and realised how straightforward it is - you can go for your personal preference - ie 'cheap uncheerful cattle truck' >:-) >:-) or relax on a ferry -

So, what do you think of the thread so far ..

B-)

Carole,

Another point that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Some French motorways have tolls, others don't.

At the first 'toll booth ' ( peage ) that you come to you take a ticket, or rather,your passenger does as it's on the left hand side.

When you leave the motorway you come to another ' peage' where you hand in the ticket and they tell you how much to pay. Don't worry if you don't understand French because the amount is shown on a digital display on the side of the booth.

Some toll booths, usually on the outside ( left hand ) lanes are for drivers who have season tickets, or are paying with credit cards, so it's easier to keep to those on the right and pay cash.

Guest Tracker

The French people, like all nations, are a mixture of friendly and unfriendly and sometimes a Frenchman's variety of English is easier to understand than a Scotsman's - and you do have to admit that it is generally a bit less wet in France!

If you smile and at least try a little broken French on them they too usually respond with a smile and a little broken English and whilst we certainly find the Germans and Dutch more outgoing whenever a conversation breaks out on an Aire or when wild camped we do not find find the French unfriendly.

It seems that, by and large, many more Germans and Dutch speak good English than do the French and when some of the French people realise we are English this can create some reserve in them which can be easily mistaken for a lack of friendliness.

horse444 - 2007-11-27 2:03 PM :-D ...........................WHAT realy annoys me, is the remark 'we should try and learn a little French, as the French like it', well why dont they learn more English, living near Edinburgh I am amazed at how bad French people are at speaking English, We never hear the Spanish and Italians would appreciate it! and I find them much more friendly. Have a great holiday .

Surely, it is no more than a courtesy, when in a foreign country, to try to address a native in his mother tongue?  It is unfortunate that so few of the British seem to have learned foreign languages, and equally so that the French generally share our reticence in trying out their language skills.  This is made worse because the French also share with us a highly developed expectation that the foreigner in their country should have mastered a little of the mother tongue.  Thus, confronted with a foreigner who assumes it is up to the native to do the work, they do, rather like us, tend to see the foreigner as arrogant, and so become a bit less understanding and helpful. 

The Italians are just more outgoing, and less self conscious, so are more prepared to have a go, and to hell with the consequnces! 

The Spanish in general I can't speak for, we don't have so many Spanish visitors around here.  However, away from the more Brit popular parts of Spain I have been met with total panic at my attempts to communicate (badly) with non English speaking Spaniards, so they don't really seem all that different to us!

Do Spanish and Italians appreciate the fact that you tried?  In my experience, they do, just as we do and the French do.  I think that is the main reason people say it is worth trying.  You are the foreigner, and you earn a bit of kudos when you try.  Doors open and everything becomes easier and more friendly.  Now, just because others fail this test, does it really make sense to create a rod for your own back by trying to get back at them in kind?

Archived