fiat recall

puerto

hi all,

having read on a few threads that some owners of the new fiat ducatto, have had some problems with their steering,

. i.e that it some times feels like the wheels are not actually in contact with the ground, and other strange steering problems,

well i have just had a recall notice from fiat stating that there seems to be a lubrication problem on the steering rack on some ducattos and as a precaution, all new models are getting a recall, also that the wiper motors are now starting to fill with water too so need to be replaced.

i personally have had no problems with either.

the steering thing is a major issue ofcourse, but im just wondering if the water in the wiper motors has anything to do with the water ingress we have all discussed with the split scuttle??

has anyone else recieved a recall notice or had the work done yet??

if so when the scuttle was removed to gain access to the wiper motors, was it replaced with the new one piece scuttle or did they just reseal the old one back on??

i only ask because mine has seen its fair share of heavy rain over the last few weeks without a drop in the engine bay(lucky i guess) so i wouldnt like to disturb it only for the same one to be put back on and start the ingress situation.

I had a call from fiat last week for my Fiat x250 100 mutijet there are currently 6 recalls on this vehicle now recll Nos are 5219 5220 5221 5222 5223 and 5248 these recalls cover steering rack, brake ABS unit ,starter motor, clean of injectors and treat with waxoil and main fuse replacement. Your lucky if your engine is dry. mine certainly is not, I have waxoiled and put a plastic sheet over the engine and elecrics whilst standing until the probem is sorted. look at my post Fiat Scuttle. My camper is going into the local dealer tommorrow to have the work done, so watch this space! hope this helps.

puerto - 2007-11-26 11:17 PM

well i have just had a recall notice from fiat stating that there seems to be a lubrication problem on the steering rack on some ducattos and as a precaution, all new models are getting a recall, also that the wiper motors are now starting to fill with water too so need to be replaced.

i personally have had no problems with either.

the steering thing is a major issue ofcourse, but im just wondering if the water in the wiper motors has anything to do with the water ingress we have all discussed with the split scuttle??

has anyone else recieved a recall notice or had the work done yet??

if so when the scuttle was removed to gain access to the wiper motors, was it replaced with the new one piece scuttle or did they just reseal the old one back on??

i only ask because mine has seen its fair share of heavy rain over the last few weeks without a drop in the engine bay(lucky i guess) so i wouldnt like to disturb it only for the same one to be put back on and start the ingress situation.

Have been in Brownhills, Newark today for a small job on my M/H.

There were 2 people I spoke to who both had a recall from Brownhills direct for these very problems.

They had discussed it with Brownhills and apparently there is a possibility that the Steering Rack can drop all it's oil and the windscreen wiper motor can get water ingresss.

Both that I spoke to had the new 160hp model, but I suspect it will be across the whole model range.

Hi puerto, I have my camper back from having the recall items carried out they have fitted covers over the starter motor, windscreen wiper motor and the ABS unit and added waxoil around the injectors and wiring.and presumably checked the steering rack. this recall does however not keep the water from entering between the windscreen and the scuttle. I will be sealing mine when the weather improves it needs to be dry to ensure good sealing. happy motoring regards Geoff

nice one, i will be booking her in week after next so i will give an update for anyone else who may be intrested, as for the scuttle and water ingress problem, i might just be a right pain in the aris and see what they have to say, not because i have a problem, just because i can!! :-D (lol)

Geoff Cole - 2007-11-29 12:31 PM

Hi puerto, I have my camper back from having the recall items carried out they have fitted covers over the starter motor, windscreen wiper motor and the ABS unit and added waxoil around the injectors and wiring.and presumably checked the steering rack. this recall does however not keep the water from entering between the windscreen and the scuttle. I will be sealing mine when the weather improves it needs to be dry to ensure good sealing. happy motoring regards Geoff

Geoff, how long did the work take? ...I have had a recall letter for the same Items as you, but I would rather stay with my van while the work is carried out.

cheers Martyn

martkaz - 2007-11-29 10:24 PM

Geoff Cole - 2007-11-29 12:31 PM

Geoff, how long did the work take? ...I have had a recall letter for the same Items as you, but I would rather stay with my van while the work is carried out.

cheers Martyn

take your sleeping bag, mine was overnight due to the sealant on the scuttle needing to cure, try a search on this subject

How do all,

What's going on here then guys, I have one of these 'new' ducato based m/hs it has just come back from the dealer for the leaking scuttle job but the leaking steering rack, wet windscreen wiper ect are news to me do we know if these faults are across the range or have some of the faults been rectified as the build nos increase.

I was told my vehicle (Sept 07) was up to date as far as recalls were concerned, but reading these threads it seems there is need to knock on the dealers door for more information.

Re. the gent with the leaking scuttle the dealer should have the ok to remove it clean and seal it and open up the small drain holes at each end

and fit a cover best described as an umbrella over the top of the engine,

plus treat the engine with a sealant, that's what Fiat promised at the NEC which is what i've had done

Hi Martyn I took may camper in for the recalls at 9.00am it was ready to collect after lunch. They have not sealed the windscreen scuttle. It was pouring with rain when I took it in, so applying sealant would have been a problem. I sealed the centre joint myself, awhile back. They have splodged waxoil or similar on the engine and wiring on top of what I have done. Keeping water out of the engine bay is the only way to prevent problems with corrosion. and electrical connection problems in the future.

The garage probably won't let you make a cuppa and watch the telly in the back while they work on it so it may be a question of taking the other half christmas shopping! Good luck with yours.

Hi martyn have a look at colin friers solution to the water ingress problem its Page4 on this forum under heading Fiat x250not water well almost 18th Nov his solution is the best one and I will be carrying it out later he will email pics and to you. or I can if you like. good luck

Geoff Cole - 2007-11-30 8:50 PM

Hi martyn have a look at colin friers solution to the water ingress problem its Page4 on this forum under heading Fiat x250not water well almost 18th Nov his solution is the best one and I will be carrying it out later he will email pics and to you. or I can if you like. good luck

should we be doing fiats work for them, i have been told by trading standards not to do any diy,try ringing them

well folks, she is booked in for wednesday morning, the lady in service reception sounded nice and promised all work would be carried out no problems, i mentioned the recall items plus all the other problems geoff and a few others have mentioned including the scuttle and water ingress and she assured me it would be sorted out no problems. this though remains to be seen!.

she asked for a full list of the problems which i will be leaving with her..

i will keep you all updated when i get her back.

if anyone else notices any other faults with your ducatto, please let me know and i can check for the problem on ours and mention it should it be there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had notification that my MH is on the list.  The letter said it needed "5219 Steering - possible stiffness in operation" . . . . say nothing!

We're off to Germany on Thursday so I was worried about getting it done in time.  I called local Fiat peeps who checked and said there were in fact 4 jobs which needed doing and the steering could wait until after our trip but advised to have the 'ECU' done.  Whatever that is?

When I quizzed them what needed to be done they said it includes the water ingress 'repair'.

We have the 2007 X250 130multijet model and I'll try to find out the Campaign Reference numbers for the other jobs they are going to carry out.

I've got her booked in for the 30 minute job tomorrow whilst the other three will be carried out before Christmas.

Hi tomo3090, I have the same Peugeot model as you and I'm off to my dealer in the morning. Not confident anything will be done as it seems only Fiat are doing something.

Had to get the AA out to start my van on Sunday, apparently a bad connection on the battery. Mine is 6 months old with 3500 miles on it and the AA guy couldn't believe the state of the engine with rust.

Will post what the dealer says.

Paul

Just a passing thought, but waxoyling the engine ( I assume the top of the block area) does not seem a good idea. I would have thought that it would have cooked and dried off and been useless within a couple of months "normal" running.

Super stuff when used elsewhere for anti rust where its not heated, I have never waxoyled the exhaust system though ! ;-)

rgds

Guest Tracker
As Waxoyl is sprayed on in liquid form and hardens as the volatile dilutant evaporates, plus most forms of wax are combustible, could there, in theory at least, be a fire risk issue with using it on a hot engine?

Just back from dealer, who are aware of the problem but Peugeot have instructed them only to seal the scuttle. They half heartedly cleaned around the injectors and managed to break the metal bracket which runs across the top of the engine. Thats another trip back to get that fixed.

Dealer says they are awaiting advice from Peugeot for a more permanent fix.

Dont hold your breath.

I e-mailed BBC Watchdog with a brief outline of the saga. Can I suggest as many people as possible do this and hopefully they will highlight the problem. I think someone else might have already suggested this but its worth a try.

Paul

Hi

Yes I would expect the legal position to be don't touch things untill Fiat have sorted the problem if ever?In the mean time stand by and watch you £50k investment go down the drain.When the problems of bad connections ABS, starter motors,alternators etc start to occur will Fiat still recognise them as there problems.As for the proposed engine cover so many people are waiting for just another Fiat bodge YOU MUST KEEP THE WATER OUT.

Remember the water comes in from several places not just scuttelgate.

Colin Frier

Archived