Puncture repairs

malc d

Has anyone ever used one of those puncture repair aerosols which spray foam into a tyre, and if so did you find them any good.

I am considering carrying one with me ' just in case '

I've been lucky so far but I'm sure that when I do get one it will be on a dark wet night on a busy road, so a quick fix would be useful .

Hi Malc -

Never had to use one on a car/MH yet, but have had to do so on a motorcycle, a couple of years ago.

Worked an absolute treat on a nail puncture - but is obviously only a get-you-to-a-garage to get it fixed properly jobbie, at slow speed.

Now as well as car-tyre-sized cannisters kept in both the scooter and the Harley, I also now keep a large cannister of it in the car and two large cannisters in the MH, on a just-in-case basis.

(The reason for carrying two in the MH is that although it certainly sealed the puncture on my bike tyre, there isn't a huge amount of compressed air in a cannister to re-inflate the tyre - in an emergency I'd be happier to get the re-inflated tyre above "very soggy" by adding some/all of the second big can before drving again).

On this one past personal experience I found it to be really effective on a limp-back-home basis.

Yes have used one cannister on our 3500Kg Citroen Relay van at work, sealed the puncture but hardly inflated the tyre, suggest carrying a small compressor that plugs into the cigar lighter.

The tyre fitter went ape when he changed the tyre the mess that those little airarsoles make is incredible.

John D.

Interesting to hear that these do work as my new Hobby comes with one of these kits instead of a spare wheel!!!!

From what I understand a lot of new coachbuilt vans are starting to dispence witha spare wheel in favour of these kits.

machra - 2007-11-27 6:35 PM

Interesting to hear that these do work as my new Hobby comes with one of these kits instead of a spare wheel!!!!

From what I understand a lot of new coachbuilt vans are starting to dispence witha spare wheel in favour of these kits.

They must certainly be improving, Lots of smaller and bigger cars nowadays come with this option as oppose to spare wheels. My experience was about 6 years ago on a motorcycle. Nail puncture, followed the instructions, and then attempted to ride, left a nice trail of white foam down the road, unhappy tyre repair man and then days cleaning off the muck of the alloy. Therefore I would not trust it with a barge pole. Tyreweld was the product. But like I say they are selling cars and MHs with it as a oppose to a spare tyre. Secondly of course is that if you get a blow out you have no chance of a repair and with no spare wheel your stuck.

panagah - 2007-11-27 7:10 PM

They must certainly be improving, Lots of smaller and bigger cars nowadays come with this option as oppose to spare wheels. My experience was about 6 years ago on a motorcycle. Nail puncture, followed the instructions, and then attempted to ride, left a nice trail of white foam down the road, unhappy tyre repair man and then days cleaning off the muck of the alloy. Therefore I would not trust it with a barge pole. Tyreweld was the product. But like I say they are selling cars and MHs with it as a oppose to a spare tyre. Secondly of course is that if you get a blow out you have no chance of a repair and with no spare wheel your stuck.

They can only sell cars and motorhomes without spare wheels because people are prepared to buy them.

I personally wouldn't.

( Sounds like a good bit of marketing and sales chat - I wonder how much that reduces the price of the vehicle).

You say " They must certainly be improving" but I don't know if there is any evidence for that.

I think I will stick with my spare wheel.

I used it once, on my trooper 4x4, just backed in drive and heard air , I had a choice ,change wheel or use my bike airosol, being lazy I used the later, this worked very well, just used compressor to top up air.

Tha fitter at the tyre depoe refused to repair it when he saw the gunge but as we had a small fleet the manager changed his mind for him, if not I would have done it myself, So there can be problems.

cheers

It seems that tyre fitters do not like these aerosols as they leave a sticky mess.

We have had "Protex" injected into our tyres (Fitters don't mind this as the protex fixes itself to the tyre and not the rim) Have done away with the spare wheel and carrier! (This wheighed approx 35 kgs).

Protex works fine, a nail goes in you pull it and it seals itself without loss of pressure, the only problem is if you were unlucky to split the side wall, as with any tyre you would need a new trye.

Paul

Hapiness is no white bits!

malc d - 2007-11-27 7:54 PM

panagah - 2007-11-27 7:10 PM

They can only sell cars and motorhomes without spare wheels because people are prepared to buy them.

I personally wouldn't.

( Sounds like a good bit of marketing and sales chat - I wonder how much that reduces the price of the vehicle).

You say " They must certainly be improving" but I don't know if there is any evidence for that.

I think I will stick with my spare wheel.

My evidence is based on what the above posters are saying. Me personaly? I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare wheelfitted to a good tyre.

I believe one of the main reasons for deleting the spare wheel besides cost savings is to help with payload. A lot of the current crop of 'vans are marginal on payload and that's if you believe the makers figures. My own Rapido 924F which is 5.99 metres in length was 3560kg when I weighed it ready to go with full tanks. It beggars belief that the 7 meter plus models can operate at 3500kg!! Luckily I had the foresight to order my 'van with a 3850kg payload. It's unlikely to happen but I'd like to see MMM weigh 'vans as part of the procedure when testing. It'll be too late to complain when the police do a weight check.

Bill Ord

Once again this subject is raised, here's my standard answer.

I have had two tyre blow out on a van, sealent will not repair this, I have had a flint go trou tyre, I only had can of sealent it could not seal hole.

As for 'pre-puncture' sealent, I see 'TyreSafe' say don't use this as the tyre can blowout sometime after having a puncture that has not been 'looked at'.

Archived