Calling all TomTom experts

DonB

I am trying to put Aires, stellplatzes, etc, on our TomTom Go700, in the new Western and Central Europe map we've just bought. I have managed to install POIEdit 2007, which is not the same as the one shown in WayToGo's excellent posting in Hints and Tips. I have managed to add the French site www.campingcar-infos.com to POIEdit. I have actually managed to download French aires onto my TomTom. But.....The aires are in separate files according to type (motorway aires, camping ground, municipal, etc) and these files have names which are incomprehensible to us, i.e. ;.Q/ and others. I would like to have them all in one file, called French aires or something. Is that possible, or can I rename to ones I have got? Also, I cannot find a way on the campingcars-info site to download aires from other countries.

DonB

I think www.campingcar-infos only covers aires in France.

The reason for the different files is to separate those which which are on toll roads which are best avoided for overnight stays, aires which are adjacent too or even inside campsites, these may only offer water and dump facilities, municipal aires are the ones we prefer.

If you log onto the campingcar-infos website there are explanations there.

There are other websites where you can download Stelplatz for Germany, I cannot remember where, I will check at home and let you know.

Doug

DonB - 2007-11-29 7:42 PM. . . and these files have names which are incomprehensible to us, i.e. ;.Q/ and others . .
Don, look inside the map folder on your TomTom and delete all the files which have the extension .INF and all will display properly again. There is a slight problem between POIEdit and the new version of TomTom.

Not really Don.  I think you'll find the software is hard-coded to only look for POIs in the map folder.  If you put them anywhere else I don't think it would find them.

Regarding your original problem with the strange characters.  I had exactly the same problem so knew how to resolve it.  It's apparently a 'feature' of the new 7 series software I'm afraid.

I'm not sure whether you download your POIs to a folder on your PC then copy them across to your SD card or whether you download them directly to your SD card.

Either way, make sure that the .INF files are not copied to your SD card otherwise the strange filenames will return.

If you download the POIs to a folder on your PC only copy across to the map folder the .BMP and .OV2 files.

If you download directly to your SD card you'll need to delete the .INF files every time you sync with POIEdit.

Hope this helps

Thanks again, Way2Go, for your help. I can cope with separate files for the French aires, but not knowing which file was which would be a problem! Our TomTom Go700 has a hard drive, so I download directly to that and then back up using TomTomHome, or the oldfashioned drag and drop into my TomTom folder in My Documents. I have now managed to download German stellplatzes from the site suggested by Derek500, thanks Derek. Anybody know a good one for Spanish/Portuguese aires?

Go into POIEdit to the POI downloads page and select the POIhandler.com web site.  Select Portugal and under Campsite, Portugal you'll find camper places Sub, Portugal which sounds like it might fit the bill.

You may find the same thing under Spain?

I appreciate you could go direct to POIhandler.com but the advantage of using POIEdit is that you can add it to your list of regular downloads.

I have successfully down loaded french. spanish and portugees aires on my tom tom go 910, after reading this thread and they all show up on the map with details great. Thanks for info I tour a lot in france and it will be most helpful. Is there a similar download available for UK campsites?

Archived