600w maplin invertor has arrived

Guest neil

f.a.o.clive i remember you told me to fit my invertor close to the battery and to run a cable to a twin socket marked invertor but now its arrived i am stumped .what size cable do i use from the invertor and Is the wire between the new double socket and invertor to have a 13amp plugs so it plugs into the invertor on one end and into the new twin socket on the other end and also the new leads with my 600w invertor has terminal rings crimps one end and crocodile clips the other. i will shorten the leads and take off the crocodile clips and change to ring crimps ,but do i put an inline fuse holder in somewhere,sorry to be a pain but as you can gather wiring is not my strong point .thanks neil

Hi Neil, The inverter at maximum output will only provide a bit less than 3 amps to the 13 amp socket, but at 230 volts. So the cable between the inverter output and the remote pseudo "mains" socket need not be that fat. 1mm square will be ample for this. In essence you are providing a mains extension lead from the inverter mounting position to the TV table you showed me and mounting the twin outlet end in your new panel. Yes the inverter end of this lead must be fitted with a 13 amp plug to mate with the single socket in the inverter. The two 12 volt leads are a different matter. The inverter is supplied with a pair of leads which I would expect to include an in-line fuse. Yes, After mounting your inverter on the bulkhead you proposed (switches and indicator light upwards so you can see them) by all means shorten the DC leads to that necessary for a tidy wiring arrangement and as you say terminate with ring terminals. If no fuse has been provided then you must fit one close to the battery positive end of the inverter lead. The fuse rating must be sufficient to protect the DC LEADS. The inverter can take a bit over 50 amps at full output so a fuse of this size or a bit bigger is needed. If you are unable to find anything suitable then email me your address to cliveg4odm@dsl.pipex.com and I will send you something in the post. Regards Clive

hi clive ,not going to york but will be going to shepton-mallet show ,before york with my new wiring . If your about please let me know .I would like you to see my wiring to make sure it is up to standard ,thanks neil

hi clive ,just had a thought you say i am to put a fuse in the cable run but if it is in the leads coming form invertor to battery the cable is very thick and the only inline fuse i know is the really small type which you have on radios etc, i take it is not that type so which type would it be and where would you suggest i go to get one thanks again neil

Neil, Email your home address to me at cliveg4odm@dsl.pipex.com and I will send you a suitable fuse and holder. Shepton Mallet , no thanks that Stone Leisure isn,t it. Bye

Archived