Radio / MP3

naittaw

Rather than take the earlier thread off on a tangent can I start a new tangential thread !

My previous van, recently replaced, had a radio with a good old fashioned tape playing slot. This meant that I could use one of these pretend tapes with a connection to the MP3 player and that worked fine. The "new" van (2003) has a CD slot but no tape slot.

Questions -

1. Do all car radios have the same external dimensions and connections so that any new one can easily replace the old one ?

2. What is the best replacement option to allow an MP3 connection ?

3. Is the whole digital revolution going to mess up the thing anyway and how soon will we really be forced into a change ?

Any advice before parting with hard-earned pension will be appreciated.

Alf

To try and answer your questions in order:

1. No all car radios don't have the same dimensions but most do. A standard car radio is generally described as being single DIN size, some manufacturers, notably Ford and some VWs use a double DIN size head unit which is twice the normal, single DIN, height. If your motorhome is on the Ducato/Boxer/Relay chassis then it will have a standard single DIN radio enclosure, likewise the Renault Master (although the newer Master has two DIN sized slots in the dash). Connectinos wise most vehicles are wired with ISO connectors and many radio units have the apropriate sockets on the back. Sony, Kenwood and a coulpe of other brands use their own proprietary connector but adapters are easily available if not supplied with the new unit.

2. Many radio CD units also feature MP3 CD playback so you can burn your tracks to disc and use the head unit directly. Some of the higher end head units have Ipod connections and some of the more mid range units have a straight forward audio input facility which you could use to feed a separate MP3 player's output into.

3. Who knows what's around the corner?

We could give more precise advice if you tell us what your 'van is and what type of MP3 player you're using.

D.

Some car radios have the facillity for an AUX input. Take a look in the handbook and maybe yours has ? Mine is a Blaupunkt 2004 Fiat fit, £10 for a lead with a 3.5 mm jack.

You can get £30 ( approx) Mp3 / Ipod charger / transmitters which you set up and tune the radio to recieve. They are OK to an extent, but do suffer when you get a radio transmission near to one of the preset frequencies.

The only other advice is if you are changing see what other imputs you can use / have. MP3 CD player could be useful. USB memory stick or Ipod connection.

Or just stay with Radio 4 :-)

Generally speaking they all sit in the same hole, but you may have to visit Halfrauds or similar to get a set of change over leads to match the car to radio wiring ( Or cut and splice, if you are able)

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2007-11-30 3:44 PM

You can get £30 ( approx) Mp3 / Ipod charger / transmitters which you set up and tune the radio to recieve. They are OK to an extent, but do suffer when you get a radio transmission near to one of the preset frequencies.

Rgds

Look on ebay for these fm transmitters. I paid around 6 quid including postage for a brand new one . Works quite well.

My previous radio had a hard wire auxillary connector,which I brought out to a 3.5mm socket and with a double end plug used it for my CD,minidisc and latterly Ipod. Sadly it died on me and I replaced it with an Aldi special for £50 which has usb input,which can play from a memory stick,a card slot and an input socket AND it plays MP3 discs as well as regular cds.

With my Ipod I can use 10Gb and have over 500 days worth of music.

I use Itunes and if connected to the web it will download album and track titles and as an option artwork. It really does save having to carry all those discs around.

Archived