Travelling Abroad

Don Madge

I received the following info from one of our winter travel pals. We were aware of the three month rule so it was not a shock to us. We are away for up to 180 days in the winter, our GP is aware of this but turns a blind eye.

We do get three months supply of our permanent medication before we leave and the other months we buy abroad.

Regards

Don

"Dear fellow travellers - a chum of ours who asked his GP for extra prescriptions to cover his winter in Spain was told he would not be held on their register if he travelled abroad for more than 3 months ... as I could find nothing on the DH website i sent them an enquiry - this is their response. Rather a shock - discretion seems to be the better part of valour ...

Subject: Response to your Query : - Ref:DE00000257974 - travelling abroad

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:17:00 +0000

DE00000257974

Thank you for your email of 28 November to the Department of Health about travelling abroad.

NHS eligibility is solely based on residency in the UK. If you go on holiday for more than three months, you will not be considered resident in the UK during that period and so would be expected to de-register with your General Practitioner (GP).

If you are going abroad for a one-off extended holiday for a few months, then you will continue to be fully eligible for NHS services when you return to resume your permanent residence in the UK, and would need to re-register with a GP surgery. Please speak with your practice manager for details of when you need to de-register, and re-register.

I hope this information has been of help.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas McLaughlin

Department of Health"

So if you don't need presecription re fills and are well, how do they know you have gone away whether it is 3 months or 3 weeks?

Besides even if you do need the medicine you could ask your friend whether it is available in that country without prescription. Many are and are even cheaper to buy than the prescription charges here!

Just make sure your health insurance is covered by travel insurance and you should be ok, I would have thought.

It wont be the Doctors it will be the health authority as in my day the Doctor got paid every quater for the patient so would not be in their interest to get rid.

maybe its changed.

This system is wide open to abuse all you say is you lost your drugs spilt the lot in a pot of honey so they have had it or lost totally and you cant find them.

Archived