FreeSat Have you seen this

enodreven

It says that you will be able to use your existing satellite dish so that suggests that it's on Astra as it would be unlikely that they would expect Mr. Average Viewer to re-align.

As we already get all this stuff free via Astra I wonder if what it really means is that they are disassociating themselves from Sky and it's cards?

The channels are all going to be transmitted as they are now, same satellites, same frequencies etc.

All existing equipment will still work.

Freesat are bringing out their own boxes, in various forms from basic to PVR and HD etc. All that will appear different is they will use their own EPG rather than Sky's.

Until Channel 4 and 5's encryption deals expire with Sky, these channels will not be available on a new Freesat box as they are not now on a generic FTA box.

derek500 - 2007-11-30 5:32 PM

Until Channel 4 and 5's encryption deals expire with Sky, these channels will not be available on a new Freesat box as they are not now on a generic FTA box.

Any idea when this is? Not that I'm really bothered about getting either.

There are some strange anomalies at present as some channels like Ch 4 need a Sky card and others like Virgin One need a subscription to get them via sattelite but they are on Freeview for nowt!

I have an FTA receiver (good old Lidl!) that I use in the van so I assume that all will continue to be well.

Ralph - 2007-11-30 7:20 PM

derek500 - 2007-11-30 5:32 PM

Any idea when this is?

I have an FTA receiver (good old Lidl!) that I use in the van so I assume that all will continue to be well.

I've heard Aug/Sep 2008 for both C4 and C5. Of course, from then your excellent Lidl, Silvercrest box will receive them as well.

Robinhood - 2007-12-02 6:14 PM

Information is fairly slow to emerge, but at least one (hopefully informed) site implies that the footprint will be much larger than the current transmission.

Good news for European travellers if its true.

http://www.astra2d.com/freesat.htm

As I've already stated above nothing is changing!!! All the channels will be transmitted from the same satellites and the same frequencies as they are now!!

Freesat will be only be using Eurobird (the one with the bigger footprint) to transmit EPG data.

Ralph - 2007-11-30 6:20 PM

I was using the Lidl one in Europe this year but lost a lot of BBC/ITV down south. Would a bigger dish be any better?

derek500 - 2007-12-02 5:23 PM

As I've already stated above nothing is changing!!! All the channels will be transmitted from the same satellites and the same frequencies as they are now!!

Freesat will be only be using Eurobird (the one with the bigger footprint) to transmit EPG data.

There does not seem to be much to gain by the BBC and ITV by doing this, and if this is so, why is it taking so long to implement? There has to be more to it. What are your souces of this information please?

peedee

I suppose the main reason is the fact that Freesat (BBC/ITV) is nothing to do with Sky!!

The delay is caused by the need for new boxes to be manufactured, to enable the Freesat EPG.

The lack of information on the Freesat website is causing loads of people to add two and two and make five. It's not telling any lies but not really telling the truth.

It's a shame the Freesat website can't bring itself to say "this service is the same as Sky, existing Sky equipment will receive it, all that's different is the EPG."

Thanks Derek, I suppose it will allow Freesat service providers to develop unhindered by Sky to whom they will also no longer have to pay fees. It should also benefit the consumer in cheaper equipment because no decoder will be required. If it doesn't then I think Freesat is on a hiding to nothing.

Miami I think there are limitations of space for HDTV on Freeview and this maybe one of the reason for providers taking a freesat route?

peedee

derek500 - 2007-12-02 5:23 PM

Derek,

You obviously understand this better than most of us so perhaps a little more explanation please?

With my current Lidl box I get an EPG with a shed load of programs and I just use the favourites to store the ones I actually want to watch.

What I don't understand is where does this EPG data come from? It's not the same as Sky (or is it?) and you say that FreeSat will be broadcasting a different EPG from a different satellite.

If this subject is too complex and boring for others (sorry I realize it's not on topic for motorhomes) then perhaps you can point me towards somewhere I can read about it for myself?

Thanks.

Edited for numerous typos

:-S

On digital satellite all channels also transmit info on the programmes and a limited schedule. A bit like RDS on a car radio that shows the station name and programme details.

An EPG (electronic programme guide) doesn't really exist on a FTA box.

If you have Sky or other cable providers, you will get a sophicated EPG that will allow you at a glance to see what's on every channel for the next week. You can select programmes in advance to record (if you have a PVR like Sky+) or to remind you when they're on. You can do 'series link' that will automatically record each episode of a show etc.

This EPG is transmittted on a channel on it's own. The user can't alter the catagories or order of the channels.

Of course Sky on their EPG can put the channels in any order they like, and apart from being obliged by law of putting the five main channels on 102, 102, 103 etc., they tend to put other channels, down the pecking order.

With Freesat having their own EPG, they can put their channels in prime position and of course won't need slots for pay channels like Sky (1&2, Movies, Sports, Arts etc), UKTV, Living, Discovery etc. as they won't be able to be received.

Thanks Derek, makes perfect sense and not as complicated as I had feared.

I was obviously not really aware of what an EPG is. Now that I know I also know that I don't need one :-D

Just re-read your post.

and of course won't need slots for pay channels like Sky (1&2, Movies, Sports, Arts etc), UKTV, Living, Discovery etc. as they won't be able to be received

Wanna bet? I bet they have pay channels as well. Freeview started as free but now it has subscription channels. I bet FreeSat goes the same way...

Whilst somewhat out of date, the following link is a good view of the structure:

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051023

AFAIK Sky boxes currently have built in restriction on the range of satellites and services they can receive (and utilise only Sky interactive, text, and EPG services).

The new BBC/ITV Freesat boxes may well have similar restrictions (I would logically expect them to be restricted to using the new BBC/ITV EPG, though I can't see that they would use different interactive services to those available on the same channels on Sky - simply seems like too much duplication and cost)

In essence, anything transmitted FTA (free to air) should still remain available to existing FTA boxes such as the LIDL/Maplin etc. boxes. These will provide basic viewing but will not (as now) offer interactive or full EPG services. (they simply process the basic FTA transmission, and are quite versatile in the satellites they can access).

Anything currently transmitted via Sky as FTV (free to view - i.e. not chargeable by subscription but still encrypted, thereby needing a viewing card for a one-off charge - currently C4 and C5 are in this category) will remain unviewable on the new BBC/ITV Freesat service and existing FTA boxes until their status changes. These appears to be intent from both to joun the BBC/ITV service, and this should make them then available on the old FTA boxes.

The main question remaining is whether the BBC/ITV Freesat service gets to a point where it can flex its muscles and consider removing services from 'Sky' transmission.

It seems unlikely at the moment, but it may happen. hence all the questions about where the channels will finally end up being transmitted from.

(I accept Derek's view that in the medium term at least, the easiest and most viable transition is simply to provide a new EPG for BBC/ITV and leave everything else where it is, but I'm not sure that this represents the 'end-game').

My own interest in the BBC/ITV Freesat debate (having a Maplin box for touring) is that it may be the cheapest medium term solution for HD reception at home.

Read the small print when buying a FreeSat reciever, they may not all be caperble of HD. Price? well with no subs to get money back then I guess price will be similier to non-sky boxes plus a premium for epg software, at moment a TM 6800 HD with USB for external hard disc cost £270 for box alone, hopefully as they lose raretity value then say £100 less?

Archived