Reading the Small Print(Recovery)

fred22

Hi, whilst in Scotland this year I was unfortunate enough to be taken ill and was in hospital for four days. If I had not recovered by Wednesday(the 5th day), I would have to have been shipped out to another hospital 70 miles away.

Our Motorhome is 24ft long and my Wife and Grandchildren were concerned as to how they would get home but I assured them that,as we had a comprehensive policy with Green Flag, in the event that I could not drive, they would transport the motorhome back.

How wrong I was, on my return I tried to confirm this with Green Flag, but was informed that they operate a get you home service if the vehicle is incapacitated not the driver.

What do others do, is there a special policy to cover such circumstances?

I know the Caravan Club offers Red Pennant but I would require a 12 month policy to apply at any time and not just one off annual holidays.

I am contacting my motor insurers to see what they suggest. Fred

I think it is just on some personal travel insurance policies that you get a driver to 'get you home' when the driver is ill or incapacitated, not vehicle recovery insurance. Vehicle recovery insurance is usually for a 'poorly' vehicle, not person.

That's my experience anyway.

Hi Fred 22,

I insure with Safeguard link http://www.swinton.co.uk/motor/motorhome/ the breakdown recovery (AA) is packaged with the MH insurance, £315 the lot - much cheaper than buying separates I have found.

I had occasion to call on the service when in France end of last June. My wife and I where at the end of a two month tour, when suddenly while staying on the Aires at Josselin, I was carted off to the local hospital whilst enjoying a heart attack.

I contacted the overseas AA number in Lyon from my hospital bed, after my initial MI, and asked they delay a week before supplying a driver to take my wife, self ( I hoped ) and MH home to UK.

The MH was driven from Josselin to Ploermel and parked up in the Hospital staff car park so my wife could stay in it while I was recovering. A week later the breakdown insurance sent a driver from UK to drive us all back.

Excellent Service - their emergency multilingual operator took care of every single bill and expenditure, and was most insistent that I worry about nothing. The breakdown insurance is valid for all of Europe and UK, home start etc.. all included.

Regards Terry

Hi, Terry

Hope you are fully fit again ?

Was your wife a named driver, its only that as a force of habit I always put Barbara on my insurance as a named driver [spouse] just in case she needs to move the car etc.

But I have just been thinking, while she is on the motorhome policy and I am sure she could drive it in an emergency, I really doubt that she would want to drive it back from deep in France or Spain, do you think they would take that into account or should I remove her from the policy ?

anyone had problems with this type of situation

Brian

Terrytraveller - 2007-11-30 7:23 PM

Hi Fred 22,

I insure with Safeguard link http://www.swinton.co.uk/motor/motorhome/ the breakdown recovery (AA) is packaged with the MH insurance, £315 the lot - much cheaper than buying separates I have found.

I had occasion to call on the service when in France end of last June. My wife and I where at the end of a two month tour, when suddenly while staying on the Aires at Josselin, I was carted off to the local hospital whilst enjoying a heart attack.

I contacted the overseas AA number in Lyon from my hospital bed, after my initial MI, and asked they delay a week before supplying a driver to take my wife, self ( I hoped ) and MH home to UK.

The MH was driven from Josselin to Ploermel and parked up in the Hospital staff car park so my wife could stay in it while I was recovering. A week later the breakdown insurance sent a driver from UK to drive us all back.

Excellent Service - their emergency multilingual operator took care of every single bill and expenditure, and was most insistent that I worry about nothing. The breakdown insurance is valid for all of Europe and UK, home start etc.. all included.

Regards Terry

The "Motorhome Insurance Guide" for Saga Motorhome Insurance reads "Anyone with a full licence can take over the driving of your vehicle with your permission in a medical or motoring emergency provided you are in the vehicle at the time. They can also drive your vehicle back to your home following a medical or motoring emergency." Saga Morothome Breakdown Assistance Plus will "have your Motorhome repatriated (from Europe) to your home or chosen repairer in the UK, together with driver and passengers. I am looking at policy options at the moment but have no first hand experience.

Hi Michele, this was our problem, the actual size of the vehicle.

As regards other comments, I think Safeguard is worth investigating but I can't see why you would include your wife on the motorhome insurance if she is not going to drive it. I am sure that most insurers would take the view that if both named drivers are present then you are not stranded if one of them is ill, Husband or Wife

Fred

Hi,

My son's boss took his 4x4 and off-road caravan somewhere into the Australian outback, North of Brisbane. Then he broke his leg.

He came home by helicopter, but it took his wife three days to drive the rig home. If I'd been her, I'd have broken my leg too. :D

Hi,

That clause sounds very interesting, as it appears it will allow you to make the decision whether your wife/partner drives the vehicle or you arrange for them to recover it, if its on safeguards policy I will look at removing my wife as a named driver??

On another forum, someone was suggesting that there insurance was more expensive if they were the only driver ? it was apparently cheaper if they added a named driver ? anyone heard of this

naittaw - 2007-11-30 9:18 PM

The "Motorhome Insurance Guide" for Saga Motorhome Insurance reads "Anyone with a full licence can take over the driving of your vehicle with your permission in a medical or motoring emergency provided you are in the vehicle at the time. They can also drive your vehicle back to your home following a medical or motoring emergency." Saga Morothome Breakdown Assistance Plus will "have your Motorhome repatriated (from Europe) to your home or chosen repairer in the UK, together with driver and passengers. I am looking at policy options at the moment but have no first hand experience.

Hi Brian,

I do not have my wife on the MH policy because she would not be happy to drive it, and would spoil her holiday if she thought she might ever have to drive it. She wouldn’t even fly commercial airlines until I learnt to fly a glider, something about if the pilot became sick, I could take over 8-) – in the end she would fly with someone she didn’t know, but wouldn’t fly with me in a glider – where’s the logic in that?

The very good Safeguard insurance breakdown package needs to be complimented with a reliable Travel insurance – I have been with Motorhome Ticket Club (MTC) who are also travel agents for a number of years now, see link http://www.ferrytickets.net/travel.asp . Any new so called pre-condition which mother nature awards to you within the 12 months of an annual multitrip, will not default the cover for the period initially covered. i.e. A heart condition not suffered before the start of the insurance term, is not a pre-existing condition, therefore you are still covered by the insurance for the full 12 months.

These are people I now have tried and tested and I can wholeheartedly recommend. The multilingual operator I referred to in a previous posting is employed by CEGA, a medical assistance company acting on behalf of the travel insurance (Groupama Personal Insurance), it is she who took charge of making all arrangements across the board, and a really good job they made of it too.

Regards Terry

I have my wife on my insurance policy as it is cheaper that way. She can drive the 'van o.k. but she prefers not to and if I was taken ill she wouldn't want to; we've discussed this and I understand but I'll be asking Comfort before my next renewal just what the situation is as it has been on our minds. Logically if there is another named driver it must reduce the risk of having to repatriate the vehicle in the event of one of the drivers being incapacitated and therefore reduce the premium.

Bill Ord

The following is from RAC t&c's for UK recovery service

'The above Recovery service is also availible should you be taken ill and cannot continue your journey as you have no passengers who can drive the vehicle. You will need to produce some form of medical certificate for this (In these cases, we will provide service at our discretion).'

Not 100% watertight but it will do me if I'm somewhere on my own, GF is quite caperble of driving van on her own and she is also covered by same membership if she is 'Out&About' (should I get a bonus for getting that phrase in :D )

Hope this helps for Caravan Guard and I quote for UK "Assistance following a Breakdown" Definitions "Injured" - Bodily injury, death, disease, illness or nervous shock"

What is covered "Injured Driver" If the driver is "injured" during a journey and unable to drive and there is no-one qualified to drive the motorhome. We will provide and pay for a driver to return the motorhome and the people in it to your home."

European Cover is modified so that instead of returning the motorhome to your home it is "taken to your intended destination" which of course could be your home.

Looks straightforward to me providing you have paid for the relevant cover.

Along with Safeguard we use All clear travel not cheap at £242 If I am correct but an annual policy covering everything the whole family and the girls . One never knows with them what might happen so best to air on the side of caution .

As for driving I dont have a problem and its me that taught him size does not stop me the bigger the better but not everyone Lady is like me and even some men quake in their boots at driving large objects .

Its nice to know that with Safeguard I am fully covered as I said before you gets what you pay for it don't always pay to buy cheap...Be careful out there ;-) ;-)

But note Colin and Chris, the references are to passengers who "can drive" on the one hand, and who are "qualified to drive" on the other.  If your respective OHs hold current driving licenses then, unless your vans are over 3.5tonnes, they are presumably able/qualified to drive them.  It does not say not insured to drive, just able or qualified.  So what then?  Fun, innit?

Fred

Green Flag through the Caravan Club, Mayday, does over the kind of cover you required as an extra to there "comprehensive" policy. It is also cheaper than buying direct from Green Flag.

Hope you are keeping better now.

Best wishes Docted

Archived