Possible problem with leisure battery?

Derek Uzzell

The leisure battery on Michele's motorhome may, or may not, be faulty.

This is a 110Ah 'wet' battery that is quite new and hasn't been run dry or anything like that. A few weeks ago, on a trip back from France, the battery seemed to be unable to cope with powering the vehicle's interior lights when the vehicle was parked (and off hook-up).

On return home the battery was fully charged (measured by voltmeter) and after a fortnight of being allowed to stand idle this charge-state did not reduce. However, after having reconnected the battery to the motorhome, Michele says: "Immediately start to use the lights and the voltage has just dropped. It is dropping before your eyes right down to 9.8. It also drops very quickly within seconds."

I would expect a battery that can be fully charged and retain that charge for an extended period to be OK, but that may be a false impression. I've suggested to Michele that the simplest way to confirm whether or not her present battery has a problem might be to borrow a battery that is known to be in perfect order and connect that to her motorhome. If the voltage of the borrowed battery doesn't drop quickly when the motorhome's lights are switched on then her current battery has a fault: conversely, if the borrowed battery's voltage also falls rapidly, then the problem isn't with the battery.

Anyone come across something like this before and/or can offer advice, please?

On return you indicated "fully charged (measured by voltmeter)"

A dead battery can give a satisfactory reading. You need to appy a load and measure voltage. Was this done?

Swapping batteries about will determine the battery, or alternatively visit a garage and ask them to check it with a load test.

Guest Tracker

When we bought our Tracker earlier this year the leisure battery was duff - and only 1 year old - so the dealer (Chelston) put a new one on and that too was duff.

Following a charging circuit test (again) a third battery was fitted which has proved OK.

A member of their staff who did not want to be quoted told me that Leisure batteries are the bane of his life as so many are faulty due to the dealer buying 'cheapos' instead of a reliable brand to save money?

It may or may not be true - but just because a battery is new don't mean it can't be faulty?

Hi,

I had a similar problem with a 2001 Autotrail Cheyenne. I thought at first that the battery was faulty and Brownhills gave me a replacement, no questions asked but on fitting the new battery after giving it a charge to be sure, the symptoms you described were still there. Clearly it couldn't be the battery so Brownhills asked me to take the 'van to Newark where the problem was found to be the poor 12 volt connections after the battery, Autotrail had used what I call "chocolate box" connectors and they had corroded. The electrictrician who did the job showed me the connectors and said it was common with Autotrail and he expected to see plenty more. I never had any more problems. It may be worth looking in the same area but first you need to have the battery checked under load, I think it's called a "drop test" it's a regular test for starter batteries as just checking voltage is not much use.

Bill Ord

Guest Tracker
Bill Ord - 2007-12-01 12:05 PM

Hi,

I had a similar problem with a 2001 Autotrail Cheyenne. I thought at first that the battery was faulty and Brownhills gave me a replacement, no questions asked but on fitting the new battery after giving it a charge to be sure, the symptoms you described were still there. Clearly it couldn't be the battery so Brownhills asked me to take the 'van to Newark where the problem was found to be the poor 12 volt connections after the battery, Autotrail had used what I call "chocolate box" connectors and they had corroded. The electrictrician who did the job showed me the connectors and said it was common with Autotrail and he expected to see plenty more. I never had any more problems. It may be worth looking in the same area but first you need to have the battery checked under load, I think it's called a "drop test" it's a regular test for starter batteries as just checking voltage is not much use.

Bill Ord

Which connectors do you mean please Bill - do you mean 'in line' type joints or the actual battery terminals - mine do seem OK unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

You need to know what amperage is being drawn, to see if the lights are the problem or summat else.

Slightly O/T to those that know

?

Can you test a leisure battery the same way as a main battery, If so a quick trip to Halfrauds might be in order, I am sure one of the boys would test the battery free of charge ?

Hi Michele,

Your battery may appear fully charged and some of the cells may have taken a charge, but if you have a duff cell in the battery then this will drain all the battery cells quickly.

It is possible that you are looking at the surface charge of the battery which is the battery state after charging but before a load is applied. The problem is that battery cells tend to sulphate up over a period of time and this is made worse by not charging at a high enough voltage . most alternators only charge at 13.6-13.8v so the battery is only 65-75% charged,this then has a tendancy to sulphate the cells and reduce battery life.

If you charge your battery up and check the voltage it should read about13.6v-13.8v on charge. if you then take it off charge and put a load across it like a few lights. the voltage should drop to about 12.6-12.7v and stay there. If the battery voltage drops to well below this and does not recover with the load removed to 12.6v-12.7v within a few minuets then it is probable that its got defective cells.

If you can get your hands on one. a hydrometer check on individual cells will tell you if a cell is faulty. All cell readings should be approximately the same, assuming that yours is not a sealed for life or gell battery, hope this helps. (^)

Thank You Derek for posting thanks to everyone whom replied .

I think its new Battery time folks cant be messing with it any longer not enough hours in the day . Also Xmas holiday looming so dont want to get caught out so I will buy a new one .

Still find it so strange that it works on the Tuesday and packs up on the Wednesday weird funny thing is we met a man at Le Touquet who told us he was having battery problems we replied that ours was fine ?

Funny thing anyway thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Hi Michelle.

If it is a wiring / connector fault or short to earth, you will still have the same problem when you fit the new Battery.

So I would get it checked out before embarking on your Christmas trip.

Your local garage or any M/H dealer should be able to do the check for you.

Hi all Flicka comments noticed to late bought a new one today £98 nearly fell over backwards.

Have a friend who owns agarage but I always seem to be going to him the new cam belt has just cost £1300 I didnt want to ask him for a battery as well as he never seems to put anything on and make a profit . Never mind its done now didnt want the worry of it at holiday time so we saw a camping shop in Lingfield Surrey and popped in there ...

Anyway thanks to everyone for that help.

Derek you especially .

Michele said "Have a friend who owns agarage but I always seem to be going to him the new cam belt has just cost £1300 I didnt want to ask him for a battery as well as he never seems to put anything on and make a profit."

Excuse Me?? £1300 for a new cam belt and you don't think he's making any profit?? Good God Michele, you could have driven your 'van up here, camped overnight at the campsite nearby, I'd have done your cambelt and even with the fuel to get here and back, a couple of meals out and a new leisure battery (Elecsol 100AH £95) you'd still have had change from £1300 and I'd have made a profit!!

D.

Guest Tracker
davenewell@home - 2007-12-02 7:52 PM

Michele said "Have a friend who owns agarage but I always seem to be going to him the new cam belt has just cost £1300 I didnt want to ask him for a battery as well as he never seems to put anything on and make a profit."

Excuse Me?? £1300 for a new cam belt and you don't think he's making any profit?? Good God Michele, you could have driven your 'van up here, camped overnight at the campsite nearby, I'd have done your cambelt and even with the fuel to get here and back, a couple of meals out and a new leisure battery (Elecsol 100AH £95) you'd still have had change from £1300 and I'd have made a profit!!

D.

I thought that too Dave but I didn't want to burst Michele's balloon!

Struth. Michele, you appear to have more money than sense. A number of posts have suggested you get the battery tested and you have given no indication that it has been tested.

As has been said, a new battery will not resolve a wiring ??? problem.

£1200 to change a fan belt, whow! Your garage will love you

michele - 2007-12-01 1:01 PM

All I know is that we have a fully charged Battery and as soon as we turn anything on like lights it just plumets .

I have never seen anything like it has anyone else perhaps its not worth messing with and it would pay to get another .

In that case you have a high resistance connection somewhere, could be the battery terminals, fuse holder, terminal block or even inside the battery itself. Have you tried connecting a digital voltmeter directly across the battery terminals and then turn on some lights? Does the ACTUAL battery voltage (on the DVM) fall or just that indicated by the control panel? If so its a connection. If the two voltages always remain the same then its the battery.

Sorry you know me by now I never manage to explain things properly .

We had a new Timing belt two pistons shot through the engine and a big job but I dont know the techincal terms basically it was kaput believe you me it should of cost more .

SS I did test the battery and have been doing it for weeks with help from Derek we have worked out it is the battery .

Tonight we have put on the new one and loaded it with all the lights the fan over the cooker the heating the Sat Dish pace box the lot and guess what it only dropped to 12.3 with that lot on give it a little run for its money and when finished when turning each one off indiviually it statred to regain its self finishing at 13?? so it seems to be the fact that the old battery was really dodgy .

Sorry about the confusion over the van I should at this point say its the VW Caravell and not the M/H .

Clive yes have done all that testing stuff for the last two weeks ...

Thanks very much you lot

Guest Tracker
You all need to make a profit Dave - even you - or you will not be here to help us all next year - and Dexter would go hungry - and that would never do!

Archived