Touring Cornwall

chas

Guest Tracker
Having lived there for many years what I can tell you is that it will probably be VERY wet and EXTREMELY windy - although snow is unlikely except on the moors - and that very few sites anywhere will be open!

I'm Cornish and have not motorhomed in Cornwall at that time of year.However if I was going to I would certainly use Carnon Downs Caravan Park which is between Truro and Falmouth.There are lots of hardstandings and an excellent shower block.

We rent a cottage in cornwall usualy on alternate years at chrismas/new year, weather is pretty much like rest of UK, but to contradict richard, couple of years back we where heading home and A30 was close to snowbound, if fact we drove around many abandoned vehicles, when we got to devon road was clear and rest of journey was clear and bright, thats what to expect in UK the unexpected.

Guest Tracker
colin - 2007-12-01 7:42 PM

We rent a cottage in cornwall usualy on alternate years at chrismas/new year, weather is pretty much like rest of UK, but to contradict richard, couple of years back we where heading home and A30 was close to snowbound, if fact we drove around many abandoned vehicles, when we got to devon road was clear and rest of journey was clear and bright, thats what to expect in UK the unexpected.

Because show is so rare in Cornwall snow ploughs are very thin on the ground and gritters not exactly abundant but they do usually manage to keep the A30 and A38 open - usually!

Because it comes off the Atlantic the snow in Cornwall often occurs only in Cornwall and nowhere else.

Perversely because most English snow comes via the North or east coasts it rarely reaches Cornwall.

As Colin says - expect anything!

Having toured many years ago in January in Cornwall, I was hoping that things may have changed to accommodate visitors a little more. Obviously weather is the main thing that cant be changed, but looking through rose tinted glasses, one thinks of cosy pubs with log fires and cliff walks in cold but dry sunny weather, together with easy parking and visiting tiny villages with just the locals ;-) I would not have thought it any worse than say Scotland in January, will think on about it, thanks for the replys. chas

Archived