Spain in the snow

Stuart

As a follow-on to Don's recent thread, can anybody give me a website for the Spanish powers that be. I need to find out what the legal requirements are for 'van 3800kg so far as snow chains are concerned.

I just looked up Spanish tourism and ended up in Prague.

Stuart

As far as I'm aware there are no legal requirements to carry snow chains in Spain. However, if there is snow, depending on the severity, there may be restrictions allowing driving only with snow chains (cadenas de nieve) or winter tyres.

You can keep up to date with traffic conditions on the Spanish, Trafico website.

http://www.dgt.es/trafico/estado_circulacion/estadoCarreteras.htm

4petedaniel - 2007-12-02 11:30 AM

Keep awy from the north west of Spain and you should never have a need for chains I lived there for over 20 years and except for that part of the country never had to worry obout snow or ice.

Petedaniel

Bit of a generalisation there!! I would suggest that snow and ice are by no way isolated to the north west of Spain.

Once you're a few miles inland, snow and especially ice are prevalent in most parts of Spain.

The simple, though possibly not legally definitive, answer is that there are roads in Spain on which snow chains are a requirement.  These will almost certainly be mountain roads and the requirement will depend on the presence of snow.  Since weather varies greatly from year to year, and the presence of snow at some weeks distance is almost impossible to forecast, it seems it would be wise to take chains if visiting Spain in winter, just in case.

After all, even if not legally required for a particular snowbound road, should you find yourself on one, the chains would give considerable advantage over driving without.  The legal requirement is really only for those too silly to work out for themselves when chains are desirable!

The size and weight of your vehicle is irrelevant.  It is the presence of snow, and common sense, that governs the need to fit chains.

Archived