TOWBALL OVERHANG

W3526602

Hi,

I read somewhere that the centre of a towball must not be more than 1200mm from the centre of the rear axle. At least, I THINK thats what it said. Can anyone comment?

I've just bought a LDV box van, and the rear hamper is very close to that distance. When it stops raining, I'll go and measure it.

602:

As far as I'm aware there is no rule governing the maximum distance a tow-ball may be from a vehicle's rear axle, but there are regulations limiting the length of a vehicle's rear overhang (ie. the distance from the rear axle's centre-line to the extreme rear of the vehicle). Traditionally (and speaking simply), overhang could not exceed 60% of the vehicle's wheelbase, though compliance with more recent alternative rules can result in an overhang (on motorhomes) nearing 70% of wheelbase.

If tow-ball to axle distance were restricted to 1200mm, then hardly any coachbuilt motorhomes could legally tow. Look through MMM's older Live-in Test Reports (that provided the rear overhang length) and you'll be very lucky to find an overhang below 1200mm (and that excludes the extra distance from the axle that a tow-ball adds, of course). Indeed some motorhomes' rear overhang can be over twice 1.2m.

Suggest you identify where you read about the 1200mm limit and check exactly what was said.

Hi,

Many thanks for replies. I'm pretty sure that I rad the "advice" in a camper glossy magazine, probably inside the last year-ish. With luck, I will still have the magazine but its going to be a pain looking for one sentencein all those magazines.

At the time I couldn't really make sense of what I was reading, hence my question.

I once towed a 12ft Sprite Alpine behind a 1965 Sunbeam Alpine two seater....short wheelbase and longish tail. I overtook a long stream of HGVs going up a hill.....and they all passed me on the inside going down the other side. Frightening!

Archived