carnets

4petedaniel

At the moment I am still in Spain weather fine now but they have had a very wet time of it this year, but with a bit of luck we may now have some very good weather from now on.

On the way out I stopped on a number of French sites and was frequently asked if I had a carnet which i did not processed, can some one explain where I can get one ,and what the advantages are, I must explain that I am not a member of any club As I started camping late in the year and felt I not worth the expence so late in the season. but I do intend to join the C&CC next year

Petedaniel

Guest Tracker
Don Madge - 2007-12-02 12:56 PM

My Caravan Club memberships runs from March to March.

Don

Has it changed then Don - or does it now relate to when you joined like the CCC?

I have not been a member of CC for a few years now but it used to be Jan to Jan?

Tracker - 2007-12-02 12:37 PM

CCC membership runs for a year from the day you join

CC runs from 1st January each year

Our CCC membership runs from 29 March for 1 year, our CC membership from 1 November. Whenever you join, it is valid for 1 year from that date. Can't remember it being any different.

Ina.

4petedaniel - 2007-12-02 2:31 PM A bit of confusion here I would Like to know when would be the best time to join , bearing in mind that I will not be coming back to the Uk until March . And would like to obtain a carnet for the trip back Pete daniel

Unless you intend only to join for only one year, it will not matter when you actually join since, as stated above, the membership is for one year from the date of joining.  You can elect to pay by direct debit, so that the membership will continue seamlessly from year to year.  You have to apply separately for, and pay for, the CCI, which is also valid for one year from the date you buy that.  Should you leave the C&CC before the CCI expires, the CCI will remain valid until its stated expiry date.

Since you have internet access, why not get onto the C&CC internet site and explore it(www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk).  I think you can join on line and pay by credit card, though I don't know if they'll send the membership pack to you in Spain.  However, a brief call to the membership dept. should get you the answer, when they will be able to advise whether a CCI can be issued at the same time.  Sorted?

Hi Tracker,

That was a longtime ago you were with the CC, the January to January membership (if you joined after October in one year you got until the end ofDecember the following year) was back before the 70's and was changed late 70 or possibly early 80. But I was a member in those days so do remember it!

Bas

Guest Tracker
Basil - 2007-12-02 7:12 PM

Hi Tracker,

That was a longtime ago you were with the CC, the January to January membership (if you joined after October in one year you got until the end ofDecember the following year) was back before the 70's and was changed late 70 or possibly early 80. But I was a member in those days so do remember it!

Bas

Thank you Basil, me old mate, for that and at least it gives my memory a fighting chance again!

We did indeed join in the mid seventies and were members for about 30 years during which time, as we had not left and rejoined, our renewal remained in January.

When we left, the club was so concerned at losing another long standing member that they never even asked me why - but I told 'em anyway!

Current rules: Both clubs provide 12 months membership from when you join. The CCI (carnet) runs for 12 months from the date you apply for it. So my Caravan Club membership is in October but my CCI card is from May for 12 months. I am sure that when you apply for your CCI card which once you are a member of a club can be done on the phone(and is sent by return post) they ask when you are going to travel and date it from then for 12 months. So timing could be important to get your full 12 months worth. Suggest you join the club with the cheapest subscription which at the moment is the Caravan Club £35 a year whereas C&CC is £38. But I dont know what the joining fees are!

Brian Kirby - 2007-12-02 5:57 PM

Should you leave the C&CC before the CCI expires, the CCI will remain valid until its stated expiry date.

Don't think so Brian - I read somewhere possibly the letter from C&CC when they sent my card that it's only valid as long as you're a member of the affiliated club. Not that anyone is to know if you don't need the insurance element.The CCI website sez:The CCI is only valid if * the date stated on the card (expiry date) has not been exceeded * the holder of the CCI is a member of a club affiliated with the AIT, FIA or FICC * the CCI has been signed B-)

Well, you lives and you learns!  That little gem had escaped my attention, and I had always thought that the expiry date on the card was just that.  I had understood the proviso to relate to being a bona-fide member when the card was issued.  After all, you pay for it, so the benefit - some of which pays for the third party cover - should be for the stated period in full.  As you say, though, it is a bit academic in terms actually of using the card.

Archived