Astra 2D Footprint Map

derek500

As there is so much confusion about what channels can be got where, I thought I'd post a map of the footprint.

This map is for Astra 2D which carries BBC/ITV which seems the most requested channels. When people ask for 'English Programmes' I assume they mean BBC/ITV etc.

As you can see from the map, it belies the common theory that the further south one goes, doesn't necessarily mean a larger dish.

astra2dfootprint.gif.27872e81976cc31d4dfd20489092f9ad.gif

Hi Derek, I know we have "spoken" about this topic on another thread and your map has cleared up my earlier misunderstandings. But what about those people with a dome thing on their vans? Do they have a receiving footprint too?

Yours, confused of Warrington :-D

When I was on the Cote d'Azur September an Adria owner was parked next to me and told me that from Avignon down he'd lost the BBC channels and by the time we were talking he'd lost most channels except Sky News. He had the 40cm Camos dome and wished he'd bought the larger model. My own Oyster 85cm performs faultlessly at this location but in windy conditions the Camos dome is still usable as the larger dish is subject to wind buffeting and I usually bring it down in strong winds in case of damage to the dish or roof; you pays your money etc.! At the end of the day it's a case of horses for courses, the 40cm dish has it's limitations but it's advantages in windy conditions are very obvious. If you intend to travel deep into Europe you will need a big dish. The Astra footprint chart is very misleading, and gives the impression that a much bigger dish than is actually needed in practise, for instance I can receive all the Uk channels reliably down to Tarragona and with good atmospheric conditions as far south as Valencia.

Bill Ord

Bill Ord - 2007-12-04 6:13 PM

The Astra footprint chart is very misleading, and gives the impression that a much bigger dish than is actually needed in practise, for instance I can receive all the Uk channels reliably down to Tarragona and with good atmospheric conditions as far south as Valencia.

Bill Ord

Perhaps it's better to err on the side of caution, anything else is a bonus then. When you say Valencia, do you mean region, province or city?

I know that here in the city, before BBC/ITV moved to 2d that a 1.3m was sufficient. Now at least a 1.8m.

As I said on another thread your reciever can make a big diferance. We have lived on the Costa Del Sol for 20 years 'till we retired. Down there you need a 1.3 m dish and a good reciever. Even then channels 4 and 5 are hit and miss.

On our motorhome we have a 65cm dish and get all the progs almost down to Madrid (with a good reciever).

Hi Derek,

I was receiving all channels 50km north of Valencia city in October this year. I'd stopped for fuel on AP7 and thought I'd check out of curiosity. I know from this and previous years that with my Oyster I can receive all channels at Vineros, which as you are aware is quite some distance north of Valencia, however even at Vineros BBC is "iffy" in the evenings. As a previous posting quoted a lot depends on the receiver in use, I use a Pace Javelin which is renowned for its sensitivity, if you're using a UK domestic receiver it probably will not be as good as the design requirements are not the same as e a receiver built for travelling which the Javelin is. Another factor to consider is the type of dish, the cassegrain or centre focus type will be on a size for size basis a lot better than the extended arm type. A friend of mine claims that his Multimo 40cm dish will receive all stations to Burgos in northern Spain where he makes a regular stop on the way south, once again the Multimo is purpose designed, the Voyager which is a cassegrain type also is very good. I guess the bottom line is that if you are going to be travelling in the outer reaches of the footprint then arm yourself with the appropriate equipment.

Bill Ord

Archived