Flat screen TVs and 12 volts

Ina

Hope someone can shed some light on this:

All the new LCD TVs come with a 240V to 12V DC adaptor. This means that the TV is actually running on 12V DC. Which is the same as the 12V supply in all motorhomes. Is it not possible to simply 'butcher' the cable, and directly connect to 12V? This would mean you could use almost any LCD TV anywhere on the continent, because they are nearly all multi-standard.

Or am I missing something?

Roger.

To answer your question Roger, you could but it is generally accepted that this is not a good idea. The 240V to 12V DC converter in the power lead will give a regulated 12 Volt output. The leisure circuits in your motorhome can be up to 14+ Volts when on hookup with the charger on and this can damage the LED backilghting strips in the TV. Best advice is to use a voltage stabiliser/regulator. Amperor do one that is very highly regarded.

D.

Thanks for that. What I was actually thinking, but didn't express well enough, was that when you are on EHU, you would always use the TV 240V to 12V regulator that comes with the TV. I know the voltage to charge the leisure battery would then be well above the nominal 12V.

What I thought was, when you are NOT on EHU, the 12V supply should be a nominal 12V. Or is it still too high?

Roger.

It could still be too high. For example you've just completed a three hour drive and set up on site, there's a footy game (or whatever rings your bell) on and you want to catch it. Because of your very recent long drive the leisure battery voltage is at 13.5 Volts. you p[lug in your TV and pop goes the LEDs, one knackered TV later (and you missed the match) you'll be wishing you'd invested £40 or so in a regulator.

D.

I have one of these televisions, wall mounted, in our caravan, it runs on a voltage regulator and has been no problem for about a year now

To Dave and Syd:

Thank you both for your help with this. Dave, I have had a look on the Amperor website and had a good read at it all. Yes, it has answered all my questions and so I can now buy a cheap(er) digital TV and use it abroad with that as an adaptor. Otherwise you are restricted to very expensive motorhome/caravan dedicated TVs.

Thanks again,

Roger.

davenewell@home - 2007-12-04 8:07 PM

It could still be too high. For example you've just completed a three hour drive and set up on site, there's a footy game (or whatever rings your bell) on and you want to catch it. Because of your very recent long drive the leisure battery voltage is at 13.5 Volts. you p[lug in your TV and pop goes the LEDs, one knackered TV later (and you missed the match) you'll be wishing you'd invested £40 or so in a regulator.

D.

Understand what your saying Dave but what about this. I've just bought a 150W invertor from Maplins (£14.95 half price) which I think would power my Proline LCD. How about if I use this when not on hook up for that important match (have to be rugby for me not that twits game). I realise I'm going from 12v to 230v back to 12v but would the invertor stabilize the voltage?

V

PS I see I've just got 200 postings - any prize for this?

Archived