Engine Governors from 2008

RonB

Has anyone any definite information yet as to whether the engine governors, due to be fitted on all new commercial chassis over 3500kg from 1 January 2008, will or not be removed for motorhomes?

I know that the governors, and the associated new speed regulations due at the same time, do not apply to motorhomes but how will the manufacturers/converters get round the problem of disengaging the governors for motorhome use? I am told that the governing will probably be via the engine management system which could probably be easily reprogrammed for vehicles not effected by the regulations. However, nobody as yet has been able to provide a definite answer either way.

Over to the brains trust.

Speed limiters on commercials are controlled by ecu's and always have facility for by-pass. The converters would simply disconnect the appropriate circuitry. That's how you dont have tacho's fitted to your 4 tonne van, the options are fitted at manufacture, so new vans sent to say Hymer etc, would not have limiters.

Plus limiters are adjustable, so it could be just as easy to set it at 120mph :D

donna miller - 2007-12-05 12:27 PM

That's how you dont have tacho's fitted to your 4 tonne van

Hi donna

my van, Mirage 6000 aire, is based on a mercedes 412 d and does have a tacho (a 'twin driver' one I think). There's quite a few buttons on it but I've no idea what they are for, Can anyone advise ?

thanks

allen

If its the old analogue style, when you open it up you will be able to also lift up the middle to put a disc under, and then another on top if its the normal two man one. The knobs on the front usually just twist to settings for driving, break/rest and other work, one for each disc

Further to my original posting. I've just had information from the horses mouth (Peugeot) that Sevel chassis over 3500kg are already being delivered to converters with the governors fitted, and governing. It is being left to the converters to get around the re-programming of the ecu's on a "we haven't told you how to do it basis."

However, plans are afoot to de-limit the vehicles at the point of origin sometime in the future. I think it's called forward planning!

Have fun

Ron

Archived