Griptrack

scotchjock

Hi,

Saw them advertised and purchased them, just before we purchased our first motorhome an Autotrail Cheyenne 840 Tag axle, weight 4,500 kilos. Only used them once and that was our first outing to a CL. Rained all weekend on moving off just slid and dug in. Used Grip Track and off we went without a problem. Easy to clean and store. I would recommend them, not expensive.

Gerry

Unfortunately can't agree with Gerry about using Griptrack. We found it wasn't heavy enough and they spun away from our wheels. Like many others we use cut down breadboards which have saved us from being stuck in the mud dozens of times. In fact on rallies we have often made roads with the breadboards and managed to get several vans off much to the amusement of anybody watching.

Ohhhh no not the bread boards again !!! :->

Finally got ours cut down , and ended up with 4 of them as I mentioned to a lady in a sports centre that we had needed some and she saved me another 2 , didn't have the heart to tell her I only needed the 2 I had.

Mandy

Guest Tracker

If anyone is in the Pembroke area I have some brown plastic bread trays (brown trays not brown bread) that I 'liberated' several years ago that are surplus to requirements.

Grip tracks are generally a waste of time, but they do work better if you cut them into 12" sections and screw one section to each side of a piece of similarly sized plywood as the extra rigidity gives a better gripping area.

These also work well as parking pads to rest your wheels on when parked on a potentially soggy grass site.

• 1 month later...
I did buy some grip tracks, and am I glad that I did. During our stay at Glenmore Forest Park over New Year, we had copious amounts of precipitation. When it was time to leave there was 2" of standing water on top of the grass. No chance of 4 tons of FWD getting off unassisted. Out with the new grip track- worked a treat.

Most methods of getting out of the mire work a whole lot better if you don't get stuck in the first place - in other words, use your aids BEFORE chewing up the ground with skidding tyres.

As ever, the rule is to start in as high a gear and with the lowest revs that will work. And always avoid parking so you have to reverse out as reverse gear is usually the lowest and prevents you using the foregoing rule.

Mel E

====

Archived