SNOW SOCKS !!

skottle

Hi,

I am after some advice please. We are going to try our motorhome abroad in the snow or the 1st time in February.

We have been in our car and found snow chains difficult to fit, we have been told snow socks are better, lighter and easier to fit.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

Any advice either way would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Most of the devices that work well and will last a reasonable time take a bit of effort to fit. If you want good grip in the snow then either fit snow tyres (with spikes) or fit chains.

During a visit to Norway some time back when it was all covered in snow and the roads with packed ice all the cars had snow tyres with spikes. My hire car was equipped this way as well. It was amazing how much grip these provided on packed snow. Normal speeds as well.

Just a couple of comments on spiked tyres, which are by far the best solution for the conditions Clive describes. 

First, I seem to remember they have to be fitted to all wheels, and not just the driving wheels.  If I do remember correctly, you'd need a complete set.  Can't say about the spare - but logically, that as well.

Second, there are some restrictions on using them on roads that are free from snow/ice, and also additional speed restrictions when using them.

For a journey largely on snow free roads, with snowbound roads at the end only, I think you'd have to carry your spikes with you and fit them, just like chains, when you encountered the snow.  In practical terms, that seems to me to imply carrying at least 4 spare wheels with spiked tyres, or else taking just the tyres and getting them changed over at a tyre depot on arrival.  Council of perfection yes, but the extra weight!!

Response to the question about chains/socks in mud.  The main reason vehicles bog down in mud is tyres sinking into the ground, because it is unable to support the contact patch pressure they impose.  They go on sinking until the the increasing size of the contact patch reduces the pressure on the ground, in lbs/sq inch or whatever you prefer, to a value the ground can support.  By this point, your tyres are sitting in neat little (or large!) divots.  Neither chains, nor socks, alter the size of the contact patches, so the wheel will still sink to much the same extent with, or without, them. 

The only advantage, with either, is if their presence would give enough additional traction (i.e. friction) to drag the van out of those four (six?) neat little divots its tyres have just made.  Socks?  Unlikely - too smooth.  Chains?  Maybe, but a tow would be more certain, and a lot kinder to someone's grass! 

Quickest remedy, if in any doubt, get out and test the ground before you drive onto it.  Failing that, put the non-driving wheels in first, and then have a quick look at what is happening before you get the driving wheels onto the soft.  You should then be able to escape if you need!

Hi,

I am driving to snow on roads with mostly no snow, so tyres are definately not an option, mud no idea (never been stuck in mud). I have since been told that in the Alps you must carry snow chains and apparently snow socks are not legal.

I was just hoping for something a bit easier than chains ( I am obviously very lazy, as I find these hard work!)

I was hoping somebody had actually used the socks on a motorhome just to get another piont of view.

Thanks for your responses.

Archived